Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Faulty fob quandary (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315295)

AllHailKingVolvo Mar 20th, 2021 10:42

Faulty fob quandary

Hi all,
I have a bit of an odd quandary...one of my lads borrowed my keys to open my tow-a-van trailer the other day in order to borrow a ratchet, and conveniently left the keys and trailer padlock on top of the trailer all night!

I went to unlock my car yesterday and found the remote locking fob no longer worked, presumably as a result of being left out in the cold and damp overnight. I changed the batteries and tried the pairing procedure but it appears to be DOA.

Thankfully I have a spare fob and was able to pair that with the car so I'm out of the poop for now, but with the immobiliser relying on the fob functioning, just having one working remote makes me a little nervous.

Is anyone aware of any aftermarket fobs that will pair with the car? Or am I best off pulling the two fuses (5&6?) that bypasses the remote locking and immobiliser?

griston64 Mar 20th, 2021 10:55

Sorry to hijack thread but how do you pair the spare fob to the car ? I have a spare from another car that I broke but not sure how to do it

Cheers

AllHailKingVolvo Mar 20th, 2021 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2720320)
Sorry to hijack thread but how do you pair the spare fob to the car ? I have a spare from another car that I broke but not sure how to do it

Cheers

It's a bit of a weird process but fairly easy-get in the car and ensure all doors are shut, insert key into ignition and cycle ignition on and off, five times in quick succession (all within ten seconds), leaving it in the on position the fifth time. Then press the lock/unlock button on the fob you want to pair and any existing fobs that are in use (the remote locking system has three memory slots, and adding a new fob may bump your existing one from the memory, so wise to do both). All fobs must be paired within 30 secs of the ignition cycling procedure, or you will have to start again.

Then switch ignition off, remove key, exit the car and test the fob/fobs...you should be good to go!

griston64 Mar 20th, 2021 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2720330)
It's a bit of a weird process but fairly easy-get in the car and ensure all doors are shut, insert key into ignition and cycle ignition on and off, five times in quick succession (all within ten seconds), leaving it in the on position the fifth time. Then press the lock/unlock button on the fob you want to pair and any existing fobs that are in use (the remote locking system has three memory slots, and adding a new fob may bump your existing one from the memory, so wise to do both). All fobs must be paired within 30 secs of the ignition cycling procedure, or you will have to start again.

Then switch ignition off, remove key, exit the car and test the fob/fobs...you should be good to go!

Fantastic ! Cheers

Forrest Mar 20th, 2021 12:57

Judging by the pairing procedure the problem is with the later, black Volvoguard 2 fob. I’ve never found a satisfactory way of opening and servicing these. It might be worth leaving it in a warm place with the battery compartment open and the batteries removed for a few days to see if it works again when it’s properly dried out. Otherwise, just replace it. The part number for the 940 is most likely 9442981.

The earlier, grey Volvoguard 1 fobs can be stripped down and repaired quite easily at component level and this is worth doing as they are NLA from Volvo.

AllHailKingVolvo Mar 20th, 2021 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 2720370)
Judging by the pairing procedure the problem is with the later, black Volvoguard 2 fob. I’ve never found a satisfactory way of opening and servicing these. It might be worth leaving it in a warm place with the battery compartment open and the batteries removed for a few days to see if it works again when it’s properly dried out. Otherwise, just replace it. The part number for the 940 is most likely 9442981.

The earlier, grey Volvoguard 1 fobs can be stripped down and repaired quite easily at component level and this is worth doing as they are NLA from Volvo.

This is fantastic info, thankyou so much! Knowing the part number is invaluable. I'll give my local main dealer a call on Monday and order a new one.

Forrest Mar 20th, 2021 16:16

1 Attachment(s)
You’re welcome. The part number would have been on a sticker on the back of the fob. Most people will find theirs has long since worn off. Fortunately, I have a working fob for my low-mileage 940 Celebration which still has its original sticker in place.

Volvo do other, very similar looking, fobs that won’t work. That’s the gamble you take buying a fob which looks right off eBay. In particular, the one with an almost identical part number ending in a 3 is unlikely to work on a UK spec car.

griston64 Mar 20th, 2021 17:29

My spare fob didn't pair and it has new batteries ! Funnily enough it still has sticker in place with correct part number so it must be goosed. I'll take it apart to see if I can see anything obvious

MiniNinjaRob Mar 29th, 2021 19:10

If the battery is disconnected for a while can this wipe the remote from the cars system? My remote stopped working suddenly for no reason recently, the onyl thing I can think of it that I disconnected the batery for a few weeks during lockdown.

MiniNinjaRob Mar 31st, 2021 17:37

Just to let you know I used the reprogramming technique outlined above and it worked a treat. Looks like having battery disconnected for a while can wipe the remote memory so it’s worth a try if your circumstances are similar.