Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2002 v70 cranks but no start, no pressure in fuel rail (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320678)

jeffcapeshop Oct 16th, 2021 20:38

2002 v70 cranks but no start, no pressure in fuel rail

My v70 cranks but doesn't start. This is a sudden problem, used it yesterday with no issues.

car is a V70 estate registered 2002, though some lookup places say 2003.

There's a check engine light. No codes with a cheap odb2 reader.
I pushed the schrader valve on the fuel rail and no pressure or fuel came out.
I can't hear the fuel pump doing anything, though I never noticed before either so unsure of how loud it is.
I checked the fuse for the fuel pump, and swapped the fog/fuel pump relay under the steering wheel.
The car has a plastic fuel tank. I see a lot of mention of the PEM but from my searching, i don't think there is one, or FPS. Happy to be corrected!

Is there anything else I can check before I call a garage? anything non-fuel?

thank you!

Georgeandkira Oct 16th, 2021 20:52

Get that code.
A failed Crankshaft Positioning Sensor will send no signal to the "brain" which will then NOT start the fuel pump.

You could do a 50/50 test: Get fuel and spray it into the intake whilst cranking the engine over. If it catches (even if it sputters etc.) and dies when you cease adding fuel you know it's fuel related not spark (petrol, I assume).

My '07 has the PEM in the spare tire well. It was flopping around by it's wires. I secured it by gluing it down with silicone rubber sealer. I read that in other years it was atop the tank (basically exposed to the elements) and a royal bear to get to.

I'm not at all sure but I'd look for a FPS on the fuel rail's end.

Plastic tank means there's a fuel filter too....but you say it ran yesterday.

jeffcapeshop Oct 17th, 2021 22:34

Is that one you'd expect to show on odb? no PEM i'm pretty sure and there is no FPS on the end of the fuel rail

I did wonder about the fuel filter but yes, had no issues until the sudden no-start

reggit Oct 18th, 2021 08:34

What engine? I’m assuming petrol with mention of PEM.

jeffcapeshop Oct 18th, 2021 15:04

yes it's a manual petrol 2.4, thanks

Clan Oct 18th, 2021 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffcapeshop (Post 2778118)
Is that one you'd expect to show on odb? no PEM i'm pretty sure and there is no FPS on the end of the fuel rail

I did wonder about the fuel filter but yes, had no issues until the sudden no-start

you are correct a fuel pressure sensor and fuel pump control module didn't come until 2007 but was on the R models from the start . you need to do the basic checks , flywheel sensors are very robust what happens of you bridge out the fuel pump supply terminals on the fuel pump relay, is there 12v there ?

jeffcapeshop Oct 20th, 2021 11:28

I can feel and hear it click when i turn the key so i assumed it was OK there.