Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Volvo 460 CVT gearbox problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=225350)

mab58 Mar 9th, 2015 18:49

Volvo 460 CVT gearbox problems

Hello, just bought a Volvo 460 CVT and I like driving it but I'm having some problems with the gearbox/engine combo.
The engine likes running at 1800rpm even if I'm not touching the throttle. So if I have to brake suddenly the engine stops. Furthermore if I start the engine and put the CVT in D or L the engine stops also. This is getting a bit better when the engine is hot but I need to get the rpm's down to around 1000/1200 to prevent the engine from stopping again. It's just like driving a non-automatic gearbox in second/third gear and braking without declutching.
Anybody any info on a solution ?

Anadinolin Mar 9th, 2015 19:07

Soundd like an air flow problem rather than a gearbox problem. Does the car idle at 1800rpm in neutral?

mab58 Mar 9th, 2015 19:25

When I start the engine it idles at around 1200rpm. When I'm driving the car and leaving the throttle it stays at around 1800 rpm until the speed is down to 25mph and than it decreases very slowly to around 1200rpm again. But waiting till it's at 1200rpm takes much too long so I brake and that way I'm able to decrease the rpm and prevent the engine to halt when I want to stop.
Still the combo shakes when I stop. You could say there is too much resistance between the engine and the gearbox.

Clan Mar 9th, 2015 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab58 (Post 1868185)
Hello, just bought a Volvo 460 CVT and I like driving it but I'm having some problems with the gearbox/engine combo.
The engine likes running at 1800rpm even if I'm not touching the throttle. So if I have to brake suddenly the engine stops. Furthermore if I start the engine and put the CVT in D or L the engine stops also. This is getting a bit better when the engine is hot but I need to get the rpm's down to around 1000/1200 to prevent the engine from stopping again. It's just like driving a non-automatic gearbox in second/third gear and braking without declutching.
Anybody any info on a solution ?

when you said the engine stopped when you put in gear and the idle is very high it points to an air leak into the inlet manifold , a perished hose perhaps ? The throttle idle motor can be faulty also ...

mab58 Mar 9th, 2015 20:21

Checked the hoses but couldn't find a leak, can have overlooked one, and when I ease off the throttle the valve closes but can't say it's completely closed.

FYI : English isn't my native language (Dutch) so it is possible I misunderstand some things.

Clan Mar 9th, 2015 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab58 (Post 1868331)
Checked the hoses but couldn't find a leak, can have overlooked one, and when I ease off the throttle the valve closes but can't say it's completely closed.

FYI : English isn't my native language (Dutch) so it is possible I misunderstand some things.

When you turn the engine off , the throttle motor should open the throttle ready for the next start . does it do that?

mab58 Mar 10th, 2015 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1868333)
When you turn the engine off , the throttle motor should open the throttle ready for the next start . does it do that?

Haven't had time to check it today but what if ?

Clan Mar 10th, 2015 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab58 (Post 1869002)
Haven't had time to check it today but what if ?

If it doesn Not it will be faulty .

mab58 Mar 10th, 2015 18:59

OK, thans. Will check asap.

mab58 Mar 14th, 2015 07:51

After turning the engine off the halve stage is closed.
I'm hoping today I can visit an old Volvo mechanic who hopefully has a lot of experience with the cvt gearbox.