Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Extended warrenty (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317677)

Nicon Jun 18th, 2021 10:46

Extended warrenty

Hi All

I am getting really confused by the Volvo extended warranty.

I have an XC90 that is a a few weeks away from being 3 years old. I was told when I bought it that I would have the option to extend the warranty with Volve and they would get in touch with me. I was also told that I could only extend it if it was still in warranty.

I have not heard anything so I have just called my dealership and they said that they don't do the warranty themselves and gave me the number for Car Care Plan who administer their warranties. I am no expert but this does not sound like an extended manufactures warranty to me.

Anyone else had an extended warranty and was it with volvo?

Thanks

larchdale Jun 18th, 2021 11:40

I went through exactly the same process a couple of weeks ago. I, too, did not receive any reminder from Volvo UK or the dealer.

It transpires that Car Care Plan administrate the warranty for Volvo - it's the one you can buy via the Volvo UK website. I would imagine they also look after other back-office stuff like the service plan and Volvo Care breakdown assistance but I didn't go into it. They told me they mainly look after fleets and manufacturers, rather than retail to the public.

I spoke with a couple of very helpful people at both Volvo and Car Care Plan. The upshot was that it was best for me to buy the 1-year extension online via the Volvo website. I'm told this can be extended annually until the car is 10 years old or has reached 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, which seems pretty standard across warranty providers.

Note: there is no multi-year option, only an annual extension.

I've now bought a 1-year extension and received all the paperwork via email. I can confirm that it's registered with the dealers and seems to be a comprehensive extension of the 3-year manufacturer's warranty, so I'm happy.

Funnily enough, when I asked at my dealership, they offered to help me log on to the Volvo website and purchase the warranty! Handy, I suppose, if you're not web literate.

I hope that helps reassure you.

JamesN7 Jun 18th, 2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicon (Post 2746069)
Hi All

I have an XC90 that is a a few weeks away from being 3 years old. I was told when I bought it that I would have the option to extend the warranty with Volve and they would get in touch with me. I was also told that I could only extend it if it was still in warranty.

I have not heard anything so I have just called my dealership and they said that they don't do the warranty themselves and gave me the number for Car Care Plan who administer their warranties. I am no expert but this does not sound like an extended manufactures warranty to me.

Thanks

This is something I'm interested to know as well.

I just did a quick search and found an old thread with this link in it:

https://volvoextendedwarranty.motor-admin.com/

It's quoting £407 for the 3->4 year 60k mile extension on my S90.

According to the thread, you can also extend to 5 years via a dealer:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=262329&page=5

HTH,

J

Whiterdesign Jun 18th, 2021 14:35

You need to speak to your dealer, salesman knew nothing about it but dealer admin did. It’s a Volvo warranty by car care plan and you can extend for 2 years , it cost just over £800 for mine at Christmas

GJB Jun 18th, 2021 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiterdesign (Post 2746138)
You need to speak to your dealer, salesman knew nothing about it but dealer admin did. It’s a Volvo warranty by car care plan and you can extend for 2 years , it cost just over £800 for mine at Christmas

Not all dealers do it I had to arrange through Volvo be careful as some dealers want to sell own warranty

techwatcher Jun 18th, 2021 20:35

A couple of things on Volvo's Extended Warranty.

It isn't quite as comprehensive as the manufacturer warranty. The following items aren't covered:

Spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, hoses and pipes (power-assisted steering pressure pipes are covered), exhaust system and diesel particulate filter (catalytic converters are covered), clutch frictional material, brake shoes, pads and discs, lamps (LED lamps are covered providing at least 50% of the lighting has failed), bulbs (Bi-Xenon bulbs are covered), fuses, batteries, paintwork, body panels, body seals and weather strips, handles and hinges, cosmetic finishes, carpets and trim, upholstery, glass, wiper blades, wheels and tyres, the rectification of any oil leaks (unless the removal of a major unit is required) and the adjustment of any component, servicing, maintenance and normal wear and tear.

Also the car has to be serviced by a Volvo dealer for claims on the extended warranty to be valid.

Clan Jun 18th, 2021 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicon (Post 2746069)
Hi All

Thanks

Car Care plan have been administering Volvo UK's extended warranty claims for the last 30 + years .... Usually the dealer will contact them for you and do all the contact work if you present your problem to the service department ..

js90 Jun 19th, 2021 10:10

Just out of interest, for those of you that have purchased this in the past:

Have you ever had to use it?

How easy was the process?

Has it paid for itself or even saved you money in the long run?

I've never purchased it before, but with the SPA platform being (in my opinion) a ticking software time-bomb, I'm seriously considering it when the 3 year warranty runs out.

Clan Jun 19th, 2021 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by js90 (Post 2746333)
Just out of interest, for those of you that have purchased this in the past:

Have you ever had to use it?

How easy was the process?

Has it paid for itself or even saved you money in the long run?

I've never purchased it before, but with the SPA platform being (in my opinion) a ticking software time-bomb, I'm seriously considering it when the 3 year warranty runs out.

They are a good company and are fair , they will send an inspector out if there is any dispute . They have had a close relationship with volvo dealers for 30 years so work well together in your interest .

You Will have a software time bomb if you choose not to have it updated every year at its service and this could be used against you if you make a claim ..

Nicon Jun 21st, 2021 09:14

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to to a bit more digging this week and will update when I make a decision.