Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Trailing arm bushes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318745)

JonnyA Jul 28th, 2021 06:50

Trailing arm bushes

I have been advised that the trailing arm bushes are in poor condition & should be changed - this is based on a visual inspection (dealer 'health check') on my XC70, as this is only a month after a full dealer service where no mention was made of this issue i am a bit concerned.
what are the signs that the bushes do need replacing? i am not aware of any noises or 'feeling' that is different on the vehicle when driven.

Ian21401 Jul 28th, 2021 09:55

From my own experience and various posts that I have read on here these dealer “health checks” are not very reliable or accurate. I suggest that you try to have them checked by a trusted independent who is not touting for business.

Kev0607 Jul 28th, 2021 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyA (Post 2757413)
I have been advised that the trailing arm bushes are in poor condition & should be changed - this is based on a visual inspection (dealer 'health check') on my XC70, as this is only a month after a full dealer service where no mention was made of this issue i am a bit concerned.
what are the signs that the bushes do need replacing? i am not aware of any noises or 'feeling' that is different on the vehicle when driven.

If the bushes have started to split, that indicates wear. They could last a while like this, but once they split/perish, its only a matter of time before it gets worse. I imagine this is what the mechanic at the main dealer may have spotted, but that doesn't need they need to be replaced immediately. You could still get another while out of them yet, but when they're bad, you'll hear squeaking noises from the rear end.

Rear trailing arm bushes isn't a cheap job at a garage. An independent would charge £300+ including labour & parts, then you need an alignment afterwards (additional cost). A main dealer would charge probably double that!

I'd be inclined to get them checked out properly before replacing them. A dealer health check is only a basic visual one... Did the mechanic actually get a pry bar or some sort of tool to give leverage to check for play? That you won't know.

As I said, its not a cheap job. Best to get a second opinion, or have a look/check for play yourself.

JonnyA Jul 28th, 2021 15:53

thanks for the replies.
it was a dealer 'health check' so just a visual whilst the car was in for something else.they quoted £350 (apparantly inc alignment) but i have declined so i can have a look myself or get a second opinion.

Kev0607 Jul 28th, 2021 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyA (Post 2757558)
thanks for the replies.
it was a dealer 'health check' so just a visual whilst the car was in for something else.they quoted £350 (apparantly inc alignment) but i have declined so i can have a look myself or get a second opinion.

By all means, get a second opinion.

Although, £350 including alignment is cheap for a main dealer. I paid £300 just for the labour & parts at an independent, that didn’t include an alignment (it was an extra £85 for that).

Imaden123 Jul 30th, 2021 16:46

I did mine on an s80 as they are an mot failure. Lost of YOUTUBEs about how to do it but you need the tool to push new ones in..£100 minimum ? Symptoms on mine were a knocking over bumps. The near side one is a pain due to exhaust being there. to inspect them you need to remove a plastic under panel covering the trailing (leading ?) arm in front of the wheel. The rubber cross was not fixed inside steel ring any more. The are a standard Mondeo part easy to get on ebay. If you don't like lying under the vehicle for a day for each side go to a garage. Its a lot easier if motor is up in the air !!!! good luck. PS...not sure the dealer can see them ? at MOT they probably use a pry bar on the arm ???

seanc Jul 30th, 2021 17:54

Mine was highlighted on the MOT earlier in the year and subsequently highlighted at Volvo during a service and seatbelt recall. I believe my quote was for £600 - so your £350 is comparatively cheap. Either way, I'll be taking it to an independent soon.

simboc2004 Feb 14th, 2022 19:17

About to try and replace mine - but with Powerflex poly bushes (no need for an expensive tool to fit them). I also need to replace the silencer, so that can come off first, which should make the nearside easier to do. Still wondering if it's worth asking an independent to do it though. If only my MOT was in the summer...

grubby mits Feb 15th, 2022 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboc2004 (Post 2807675)
About to try and replace mine - but with Powerflex poly bushes (no need for an expensive tool to fit them). I also need to replace the silencer, so that can come off first, which should make the nearside easier to do. Still wondering if it's worth asking an independent to do it though. If only my MOT was in the summer...

You can get the tool for £98. I got a pair of OEM bushes from GSF for £46. A pair of Powerflex bushes costs £154 and presumably you still need a press to get the old ones out and new pushed in. If you want poly bushes that's fine, but it's more expensive than fitting OEM even allowing for the tool cost.

GM

Tannaton Feb 15th, 2022 12:36

Mrs Tannaton's 2 year old Golf went in to the dealer and had a "health check". Advised both front shock absorbers were misting and needed to be replaced. My repost was the car is still under VW new car warranty so please crack on. Guess what - on second inspection they weren't that bad...