Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stainless exhaust systems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=227007)

WPR678B Apr 3rd, 2015 17:18

Stainless exhaust systems

I am looking for input on stainless exhaust systems for the 140 series as it looks like I am going to have to take the plunge and buy one!

Does anyone have any input for me regarding any particular systems/suppliers either good or bad?

The car is a "keeper" so I want to buy the best possible system for a standard B20A set up.

Happy to get answers via PM if required!

Many thanks in advance!

classicswede Apr 3rd, 2015 19:14

Auto or manual?

It is worth going to a slightly bigger bore to keep the heat down on the exhaust valves. This is very much worth while if running on unleaded

WPR678B Apr 3rd, 2015 20:24

Sorry, its a manual, 1970, RHD, 145 as per my sig pic.

Thanks for the advise on the bore, noted!

Billy Smalls Apr 3rd, 2015 21:11

That's weird, I decided this just morning to get a complete system for mine too - after hearing my wife drive off in it this morning, no more patching up will stop it sounding like a tractor. Mine's an auto so I guess will require a different shape around that area.

There is a company that advertise in the VOC magazine, going to try Brookhouse too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WPR678B (Post 1886894)
I am looking for input on stainless exhaust systems for the 140 series as it looks like I am going to have to take the plunge and buy one!

Does anyone have any input for me regarding any particular systems/suppliers either good or bad?

The car is a "keeper" so I want to buy the best possible system for a standard B20A set up.

Happy to get answers via PM if required!

Many thanks in advance!

WPR678B Apr 4th, 2015 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Smalls (Post 1887074)
That's weird, I decided this just morning to get a complete system for mine too

How strange! Sounds like they must be united now they share internal organs! LOL!

I am looking for feedback about systems people have actually fitted and used if possible so if there is a certain make/supplier that seems to shine above the rest then that would be the one to go for.

:car-smiley-003:

guitarman Apr 6th, 2015 18:02

Personally I wouldn't go stainless; there's plenty of exhaust bits about for old Volvos, I got a complete new exhaust for my 164 for less than £100 a couple of years ago. Unless you're using the car as a daily it's going to be years before a regular exhaust rots out.

guitarman Apr 6th, 2015 18:04

And, yes, autos have a different down pipe shape to clear the bw35, certainly on a 164.

Billy Smalls Apr 7th, 2015 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman (Post 1888972)
And, yes, autos have a different down pipe shape to clear the bw35, certainly on a 164.

Yes, I've discovered that too!! bugger

Billy Smalls Apr 7th, 2015 14:39

Yes, just discovered that I'm going to have to get the downpipe fabricated / adapted as it's a column selector.....poo

john.wigley Apr 7th, 2015 20:41

FAO Billy Smalls and 'WPR678B'

Billy - if the company to which you refer is the one advertising on P5 of the Feb 2015 'Driver', I do not think that you would be disappointed if you were to buy an exhaust system from them. I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied customer - and although I've no reason to believe otherwise, that was a very long time ago.

Many, many moons ago we bought a SS system from them for our '72 145DL Auto. Our local garage fitted it and it was still on the car and in excellent condition when we sold it six years later.

On the back of this, we ordered a system for my late MIL's '83 360GLE. If I remember correctly, it came in two parts. A weld failed between the silencer and tail-pipe on the rear section after about nine years use, and this was replaced FOC without question.

Their current price for a 144 / 5 system is given as from £307.72, which does not strike me as expensive. I would have bought one for my 745 had I not purchased the 'Kwikfit' lifetime guarantee that was on offer back in '99. It cost an extra £40 at the time (total £240), but I estimate that I have had the equivalent of at least three more complete systems since then. Unfortunately for those of us who do keep our cars for a long time, that option is no longer available!

Hope you both resolve your difficulties to your satisfaction. Regards. John.:thumbs_up: