Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Electrical: Banner Batteries? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317819)

Zebster Jun 23rd, 2021 09:16

Banner Batteries?

I'm finding I get 'low battery' warning messages if I go more than a couple of days without charging; it seems that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace the battery. I've seen a few forum posts recommending Tayna Batteries so I've gone to their website, put in my registration number and their suggestion is a battery made by Banner.

Can anyone recommend Banner? Thanks.

IainG Jun 23rd, 2021 09:41

Hi
Have you tried your Volvo dealer, they can be very competitive on batteries and it will be the correct one and excellent quality.

Most decent dealers will give some kind of discount especially if you ask for it.
Mine was within £5 of the cheapest "branded" one I could find.
If you have a choice of 2 dealers try both.
I got mine from Kastners at Exeter, just called in as I was passing on the way up to to my parents

Iain

Dippydog Jun 23rd, 2021 09:49

Must admit I buy my batteries from Tayna[delivered to my door next day]but can't say as I've heard of the Banner brand.

griston64 Jun 23rd, 2021 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippydog (Post 2747488)
Must admit I buy my batteries from Tayna[delivered to my door next day]but can't say as I've heard of the Banner brand.

I have a Banner battery on my 940. It kind of chose me as I took it off a 940 that I was breaking as my own battery was starting to fail. I dont know how old it is but It's been on for two years with no issues.

Clan Jun 23rd, 2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainG (Post 2747484)
Hi
Have you tried your Volvo dealer, they can be very competitive on batteries and it will be the correct one and excellent quality.

Most decent dealers will give some kind of discount especially if you ask for it.
Mine was within £5 of the cheapest "branded" one I could find.
If you have a choice of 2 dealers try both.
I got mine from Kastners at Exeter, just called in as I was passing on the way up to to my parents

Iain

Another vote for that , always try the dealer first their replacement fast moving parts are deliberately priced to get the business .

XC90Mk1 Jun 23rd, 2021 10:51

I recently paid less for genuine Volvo than I could buy at euro car parts!

My original battery lasted 9 years and 110,000 miles.

garethXC Jun 23rd, 2021 12:28

Banner batteries are used by most Police garages - cheap? yes reliable? not sure.

A Bosch or exide one are not much more & usually have better CCA rating too..

scrumper Jun 23rd, 2021 12:33

Another vote for genuine Volvo. New one for my 2006 S60 was £113 in March. Original one lasted 15 years and 160000 miles.

Kev0607 Jun 23rd, 2021 13:54

I haven’t heard of Banner.

Yuassa are very good & are well worth considering. Mine come with a 5 year guarantee from Halfords.

The “genuine” battery from Volvo will be an Excel Exide.

If you want genuine, price Volvo up & then compare that to an Excel Exide. You’ll be getting the same battery without a Volvo stamp on it (may be cheaper).

Org Jun 23rd, 2021 14:06

I needed a battery for my S-Type Jag a few weeks ago and was quoted all sorts of silly prices but I found a company on ebay called numberonebatteries I believe they rebrand batteries and sell them on, ended up paying £70 for an AGM one which met all Jag specs, might be worth a try