Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) General : Anti skid service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119416)

Luigi Mar 15th, 2011 16:43

Anti skid service required

S40 D5 56 plate 42k and out of warranty
The dreaded anti skid service warning come on the other day, the car was due to go to the garage( HR Owen ) for regular service so asked them to look at it. They then informed me after running a diagnostic check that it was a faulty
ABS module but they were happy to inform me that Volvo UK will be picking up the tab for this as it is a known issue and my model is covered up till 2013...The bill for this would have been in excess £1200 for diagnostic,ABS bits and labour... So if any of you also have this warning come up on a model about the same age as mine get check out at a Volvo garage with luck you will be covered.

busy builder Mar 20th, 2011 11:03

Is this really true ? nothing I've read states this ? as ours came on yesterday too, so off to get the bad news.

*Big Al* Mar 20th, 2011 14:28

Its true had mne replaced last year on an 06 that has not seen a Volvo dealer for 2 years previously !

busy builder Mar 20th, 2011 16:11

Hi Big Al, we used to live in Cedar Grove till we moved up here nearly 7 years ago, how is Redcar these days ?

As for the V50, sounds too good to be true !! but good news if it is.

Luigi Mar 20th, 2011 19:47

Lets hope its good news for you as it was for me...

campbellc78 Mar 21st, 2011 20:25

It's definitely true that Volvo will cover this.

Happened to me last year. I'd had my 2005 v50 for about 9 months and the anti-skid service message flagged up. It was still covered by the warranty from the second hand dealer. They were going to cover it and referred me to a Volvo dealership in Belfast to get the work done

The dealership then informed me that Volvo would be covering it, as it was a known issue on these models.

Good thing too - the warranty from the second hand dealership only covered up to £1000, and I was told it would be up to £2k of work if I was paying for it myself. The chip is about £1800 apparently!!

How complex can these chips be when you can buy a top of the range computer for that price???!

martinhilditch Mar 22nd, 2011 10:41

yep, happened to me also on a 06 s40, all i had to pay was the diagnostic test

busy builder Mar 25th, 2011 19:37

Well, we took car into Arnold Clarks in Inverness. They checked it out, washed it cleaned it inside and out...and it was mucky !!

No problem bring it in Wednesday 3 hours it'll be fixed....FREE yippee !!

Now that's what I call service.

camevad Apr 2nd, 2011 14:18

Volvo know!

I had the Anti-Skid Service light come on 4 monthsago and diagnostic check was done as part of regular service. Fault code said ABS module needed replacing. Car was just out of warranty so had to fork out 1000 euro (ireland) to have it replaced at a main dealer.

Since then I've joind this forum and a lot of people reckoned Volvo should cover the cost. Got on to Volvo and questioned this and they put their hands up and have informed me (I have the email if anyone wants proof) that the main dealer will be reimbursing me for the full cost next week.

That's what these forums are all about folks so all I can say is a HUGE thank you.

busy builder Apr 3rd, 2011 17:23

Good for you, I sometimes think all we get on here is moaning and whinging about how bad these cars are, not true.

But some good comes from sites like this, if I hadn't seen this original post I would have been seriously worried, but I asked the question at my local Volvo dealer and got it done for free too.

All down to this site.

Dreadnort Apr 4th, 2011 15:59

Anti Skid

Mine came on Yesterday as well, i have it booked into Volvo Taunton on Wednesday.
I spoke to Volvo UK today and they said there are a few known issues but couldnt say anything untill the garage has checked the car

Dreadnort Apr 8th, 2011 13:10

Anti Skid

Take the car to be looked at and was told it's the ABS Hydraulic bit, and will cost £700 to fix but a good will gesture from volvo means i pay only 350 however as i was walking out of the dealer another person brought their S40 with Anti-Skid requires service message..

looks like this is a bigger problem than they want to admit

Thom12 Apr 9th, 2011 01:14

I was out a wee drive earlier tonight. As i was driving along the motorway the computer said Anti-skid Service Req. but then after i restarted the car it was gone. Hasn't come back on.

I have a 57 plate. Is it worth getting this checked out?

busy builder Apr 9th, 2011 17:05

Oh definitely, it cost nothing to check.

Alan C30 Apr 20th, 2011 21:33

Did busy builder have any issues with Arnold Clark Inverness? (if not it is almost worth me driving through to there rather than AC Abdn) do you have aname that I can wave in front of AC ABdn?

Mine just came on, 1.8 57 plate 22000 miles so 'just out' though before looked here I thoughtthatit is **** for a 'new' car to have such a problem.

Do I just phone the AC service folk and ask? the car was serviced regular until Warranty expired but I doubt if any service check would 'check ABS module is not going to fall over next week'?

I can't see it in their service docs so find it hard to believe that they will cover a part until 2013 as Luigi says!!

Anyway worth a punt?

VenomS40 May 7th, 2011 23:59

I've got an issue here. When I got my 08 S40 a few days after the orange '!' light come on saying it needed the Anti-Skid service. This stayed on for like half a mile or 5 mins and then went off and has never been on since. I've now had the car for 2 months or so now with no issues. Should I get it checked out regardless as I'm guessing the fault code should still be on the ECU memory. Or as I've had no issues since I shouldnt worry about it?

Alan C30 May 17th, 2011 20:20

Anti skid fixed

Just to post a note that all is not lost,
bad news is that it was BCM (Brake control Module) error code 130 (as my indy garage said)
Good news is that VOLVO will pick up the tab :-)
Bad news is that Dealer still stung my £100+ to tell me that BCM 130 means a module fault, which I already had paid out for and told them BEFORE booked car in to them, I sort of hoped that as VOLVO had 'admitted liability' / 'Good relations' etc that the WHOLE bill would be wiped.

Anyway I will try a nice but 'firm' letter to VOLVO customer relations and see the result.

Me thinks that they would like to avoid a 'recall' or a pity help us a TOYOTA fiasco! I must check the DVLA ? recall page!!!

Still £100 is less than £1000 but a bit annoyed

john40 May 26th, 2011 21:25

i've had this come up last week on my 06 1.6L and have been told off my dealer that i must pay £794.28

v36001319 n/stock hydraulic un £425
v09437431 brake fluid £8.90

labour £95 x 2.40 £228
vat £132.38
total £794.28

is volvo still covering the cost ?

Thom12 May 27th, 2011 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by john40 (Post 914660)
i've had this come up last week on my 06 1.6L and have been told off my dealer that i must pay £794.28

v36001319 n/stock hydraulic un £425
v09437431 brake fluid £8.90

labour £95 x 2.40 £228
vat £132.38
total £794.28

is volvo still covering the cost ?

Is that £95 per hour?!

Yeah, Volvo are still doing it if it is a certain fault. Some they don't. I had mines in for this a few days back, simple software upgrade solved the issue.

john40 May 27th, 2011 21:54

first and last

yes £95 an hour plus vat so its £114 an hour, been in touch with volvo uk today and they are not interested because i've had it serviced at an independant even though all the parts are genuine volvo parts, i tryed to explain that when i got the car from MILL VOLVO NEWCASTLE that i was told the mot only had 6 months left and that they said as part of the deal they would not service it now as it was due same time as mot and they would do both together free of charge in 6 months, needless to say when the car went in and they came at me with a bill for over £400 (it failed mot and part was not covered )i infromed them that it was ment to be free as per sales agreement, they held my car for 2 days till i parted with money.
they robbed me blind and this is apart from the £200 cash back for buying a used car on a certain weekend that has never turned up even after lots of phone calls and them saying its sent from volvo uk who in turn said what cash back ? i said after the very expensive they would never see my car again.
so even after being robbed/conned out of well over £600 volvo uk think i should have went back.
i can say with hand on heart this is the first and last volvo i will ever own.
i've not had one fault on this car fixed under the warranty it seems to me nothing is covered.

p.s. just in case anyone from mill or volvo uk read these son's dealer startstone jaguar newcastle , pick up and drop his car off cleaned inside and out(polished not just washed) put a smelly in the car and he pay's £102 an hour and hes never had a problem they even fix things out of warranty FOC or give a discount, they know what aftersales service is.

SonyVaio Apr 30th, 2012 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by john40 (Post 915370)
yes £95 an hour plus vat so its £114 an hour, been in touch with volvo uk today and they are not interested because i've had it serviced at an independant even though all the parts are genuine volvo parts, i tryed to explain that when i got the car from MILL VOLVO NEWCASTLE that i was told the mot only had 6 months left and that they said as part of the deal they would not service it now as it was due same time as mot and they would do both together free of charge in 6 months, needless to say when the car went in and they came at me with a bill for over £400 (it failed mot and part was not covered )i infromed them that it was ment to be free as per sales agreement, they held my car for 2 days till i parted with money.
they robbed me blind and this is apart from the £200 cash back for buying a used car on a certain weekend that has never turned up even after lots of phone calls and them saying its sent from volvo uk who in turn said what cash back ? i said after the very expensive they would never see my car again.
so even after being robbed/conned out of well over £600 volvo uk think i should have went back.
i can say with hand on heart this is the first and last volvo i will ever own.
i've not had one fault on this car fixed under the warranty it seems to me nothing is covered.

p.s. just in case anyone from mill or volvo uk read these son's dealer startstone jaguar newcastle , pick up and drop his car off cleaned inside and out(polished not just washed) put a smelly in the car and he pay's £102 an hour and hes never had a problem they even fix things out of warranty FOC or give a discount, they know what aftersales service is.

Fortunately your storey is not the 'norm' for all dealers up and down the country.

You should however name and shame the Volvo dealer you used so others can be aware of their antics. You should also have all the sales stuff in writing that they have promised they would do (free MOT, warranty work, service and £200 cash back). With this information in hand you could be at your local Trading Standards office and take the dealership to the cleaners. Above and beyond all this you should let Volvo UK know (in writing) exactly what has a happened and send them copies of the paperwork with the dealerships details and promises. The dealership would soon be brought into line.

Being offered £200 cashback for purchasing on a certain weekend will be a local dealer thing and will have nothing to do with Volvo UK. I'm not suprised Volvo UK have no idea what your on about with this point.

If it is a case of just verbal talk and nothing written down then I'm afraid you have not got much of a leg to stand on, but don't think just because this one dealer has ripped you off that all dealers are the same.

:star-wars-smiley-01

sjamies Oct 8th, 2012 15:06

Happened with me too - S40 2006 - dreaded 'anti skid service required' fault code came on. Took my car to approved Volvo dealer in London, they initially quoted £850 for the Break Control Module unit, but said Volvo UK would pay half towards it as it was a known fault.

As my car was more than 60 months old, Volvo only contributed half the cost. It would have been 100% had the car been < 60 months old.

michaelab Nov 14th, 2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luigi (Post 863891)
S40 D5 56 plate 42k and out of warranty
The dreaded anti skid service warning come on the other day, the car was due to go to the garage( HR Owen ) for regular service so asked them to look at it. They then informed me after running a diagnostic check that it was a faulty
ABS module but they were happy to inform me that Volvo UK will be picking up the tab for this as it is a known issue and my model is covered up till 2013...The bill for this would have been in excess £1200 for diagnostic,ABS bits and labour... So if any of you also have this warning come up on a model about the same age as mine get check out at a Volvo garage with luck you will be covered.

Have a C70 2007 model. Went for a scheduled service today. The Anti Skid light came on about 10 days ago and they agreed to check it with the service. When the Dealer contacted me to say the service was complete they also said the BCU had gone and that was why the light was on. In the same breath they said a replacement BCU was in hand with Volvo picking up the tab for all of it inc. diagnostics & labour. I just got in at 5 years old so it is 100%. After that it would have been 50%. Take heart.

axle4 Nov 15th, 2012 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by busy builder (Post 871307)
Well, we took car into Arnold Clarks in Inverness. They checked it out, washed it cleaned it inside and out...and it was mucky !!

No problem bring it in Wednesday 3 hours it'll be fixed....FREE yippee !!

Now that's what I call service.

had a problem with my V70 cross country and they were great, volvo garage couldn't fit me in but they got the ford one to have a look, dropped the car with them and after a free coffee they took me back to the camp site about 8 miles away, phoned me twice and also phoned volvo in Sweden! then collected me all free of charge.
need more firms like them 1st rate.

stoneybeck Nov 22nd, 2012 14:17

Hi Camevad. I have the same anti-skid service light on my motor. My Volvo dealer says it will cost me £759.00 for the part alone (brake modulator 2.3vst). Can I ask you who you contacted at Volvo & if possible could you forward the e-mail from them to "carl.hood@tiscali.co.uk" Thanks, in advance.

McTavish Dec 3rd, 2012 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by camevad (Post 876916)
I had the Anti-Skid Service light come on 4 monthsago and diagnostic check was done as part of regular service. Fault code said ABS module needed replacing. Car was just out of warranty so had to fork out 1000 euro (ireland) to have it replaced at a main dealer.

Since then I've joind this forum and a lot of people reckoned Volvo should cover the cost. Got on to Volvo and questioned this and they put their hands up and have informed me (I have the email if anyone wants proof) that the main dealer will be reimbursing me for the full cost next week.

That's what these forums are all about folks so all I can say is a HUGE thank you.

Hi Camevad,
Getting diagnostics done on my 2005 S40 on Friday for the same fault, could I get the e-maill off you if they try to charge me the full amount?

Hwith Dec 27th, 2012 12:59

ABS/Anti-skid

Camecad, I am very interested to read your comments and I'd be very grateful for a copy of that letter you got from Volvo re the replacing of the faulty ABS module in your car, if you still have it. I seem to have the same problem and am looking for ammunition when I go back to my Volvo dealer, as I have a feeling they will try to avoid responsibility for the job. My car is not yet 2 years old, so maybe I'm being unnecessarily alarmed, but it's always worth being prepared......

SonyVaio Dec 27th, 2012 15:10

Well I've just had an Anti-Skid service required scare.

Just been up to Scotland for Christmas and and after a 540 mile trip all was well but the following day I got in the car and done a short trip and again all seemed to be well, however on my return journey a couple of hours later I got the dredded 'Anti-Skid Service Required' message appear on the DIM - doh! Not impressed.

I turnbed engine off, took out key left for a while turned engine back on again in the hope it would disappear but no the dredded message was still there. I then decided to to take the car for a short drive and done a few heavy sharp brake maneouvers and returned to the car park - still with 'Anti-Skid Service' message on dash. On parking up I turned engine off and turned back on but now the message changed to 'Anti-Skid Off'. I thought this was strange so I turned engine off and on a few times but still the DIM would show 'Anti-Skid Off'. I went for another short trip and after another couple of brake manoevers I returned to the car park again, turned engine off and back on again and this time the 'Anti-Skid Off' message had now gone and back to NO messages at all.

Now days later, I've never had another Anti-Skid message and everything has been fine (touch wood).

Fingers crossed as my car is a 2004 and I'd be looking at stumping up the full amount for the repair that it doesn't come back again.

CountryboyS40 Dec 28th, 2012 18:14

Quote:

Hi Camevad

I have also got the dreaded message. Any chance you still have the email from Volvo? If you do can you possibly send it to me at shane_lawson@sky.com

Holdcroft Volvo have said they will pay 50/50 but like many others I also find this unacceptable.
Any help you could give would be excellent. Cheers

ddexter289 Jan 24th, 2013 13:28

If you could please email it to me as well (dcdexter@gmail.com), I would greatly appreciate it!

imz Jan 25th, 2013 09:41

Hi Guys,

I get the Anti Skid Service light when the car is struggling to start what is the fault code which indicates a problem with the Anti Skid thing.

I also have low battery voltage fault code, does that mean new battery required?

Thanks

SonyVaio Jan 25th, 2013 12:36

Low battery voltage message does indicate that your battery is weak and may need changed or just a proper re-charge. Always worth a full off car re-charge first as this is cheaper than a new battery?

So a re-charged battery or indeed if required a new battery 'may' solve all the problems. A weak battery on a Volvo can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful things to happen.

SkyJock Jan 27th, 2013 20:05

Just had the dreaded anti skid service required warning come up on my 2007 S40.

I am in the middle of deciding whether or not to buy the new V40 cross country (fully loaded) but this important safety fault warning on my S40 is a concern.

I've read the OP and subsequent posts on this thread. I'll discuss the fault with a Volvo dealership here in Dublin and intend contacting Volvo Ireland for a formal response, given it may be a possible prior known safety fault in Volvo product.

Depending on how the issue is handled, will determine whether or not I proceed with placing an order on a new V40 or alternatively switch to another car manufacturer. I've had serveral Volvo's from new, overall happy with their product but for such an important safety feature to fail and what appears to be a possible prior known widespread fault, a recall to fix the issue is unknown at this point, all of which is causing me some concerns around Volvo's corporate responsibilities towards safety of product.

I will keep the thread updated of developments.

john83 May 4th, 2013 01:13

anti skid service required

Hi, i had the (anti skid service required) message come up on my 2006 S40. Although it was not causing any problem or malfunction with the brakes or any thing else on the car i still wanted it fixed. I contacted volvo uk and they said it was unlikely that they would contribute to the repair as the car had not been to a volvo dealer since 2008. I found a company that specialize in ECU repairs so i sent my abs module to these guys and for a fraction of the volvo repair price they have fixed my module and there is a lifetime guarantee with it. They charge £165+VAT and postage which is a lot less than £1200 which it may cost at a volvo dealer. They are ECU testing Ltd which you can find by typing into Google. I hope this is of help to someone because it has saved me a whole load of cash and if you are handy enough at working on cars you can do the job your self and also save on the labor.

SonyVaio May 4th, 2013 13:33

Just for info.

There is always a common stream of posts with regards to people having problems with 'Anti Skid Service Required'.

The Anti Skid message can be triggered by many causes so it is always worth having the codes read properly with a really good code reader, of course the best one for this job is Volvo VIDA/DICE and matters not if it one a forum member/garage may possess or a dealer. Generic code readers are fine but will not always pin point problems like VIDA/DICE can.

There are a number of different possibilities that can cause the Anti Skid message such as:

ABS Sensor faulty at any of the wheels
ABS reluctor ring cracked
ABS ECU faulty
Steering wheel angle sensor
Yaw rate sensor

There are other factors but these would be the main one. The most common on the S40/V50 vehicles and especially around the 2005 to 2007 range is the ABS ECU which of course is the most expensive one too. There is however a specific code that determines if it is the ECU or not and thus why codes being read is important. As the post above depicts there are places to go that can re-condition your ABS ECU for far cheaper than a new module.

Point to note though, the ABS modules are coded to the cars so you can't just get a 2nd hand one from any car and expect it to work, dealers will not re-code the parts either like is possible with other manufacturers.

pittarig May 12th, 2013 20:06

Anti Skid Service Required

A huge thank you to all on this forum. I was quoted over £600 to have this put right. I read this forum, contacted Volvo and despite my S40 being 6 years old and using a local garage for services, they are paying 50% towards the bill. Really can't thank you all enough. :thumbs_up:

jabba Jun 10th, 2013 21:01

My anti skid message has just started appesring, along with a reduced performance which is very dodhy when im doing 70 mph in a line of traffic and it suddenly drops its revs, will have to give volvo a ring tomorrow

phatwayne Jun 14th, 2013 17:43

My Anti-Skid service light came on last week.

2008 S40 with 115k on the clock, 64 months old. Serviced regularly at a local independent garage.

Diagnosis - Brake Control Module was faulty. Error code 0130.

Paid £390.19 at Cecil & Larter in Bury St Edmunds with 50% good will from Volvo.

Having put over 60k on the car in the 23 months I have owned it, this is the first thing (outside of maintenance and worn brake pads / tyres etc) that I have had to shell out for. It's been pretty bulletproof so far.

My only gripe, being quoted £53 to have the software upgraded to turn off Daytime Running Lights, I've probably spent close to £100 in two years on bulbs!

Kevin Lyons Jul 12th, 2013 11:00

Quote:

Any chance that you can forward me that email to kevinlyons (at) beaumont.ie I am a new member and I am not able to send p.m
I have the same car s40 se 20 diesel and this fault has appeared lately any help in this would be appreciated
Kevin Lyons (Dublin)

V50PKR Jul 12th, 2013 11:17

how did you get on