Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   how do you reset the service indicator message? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119464)

bobdabuilda Mar 15th, 2011 23:18

how do you reset the service indicator message?

On audis there's a little trick to do this using the odometer, does anyone know if there's a similar trick on the xc90 or is it vida only?

owenfackrell Mar 16th, 2011 08:02

There is a way of doing it. It some thing like hold down the tip reset with the ignition in I and then turn it to II whilst keeping it pressed and wait unti the yellow triangle flashes at which point let go and the message should have reset. thats from memory and i stand to be corrected.

Banzai Mar 16th, 2011 08:27

1 Attachment(s)
The above post looks similar to this attachment which I found a while ago which might be useful.

I have never needed to use it so I can't confirm if it is correct or works.

bobdabuilda Mar 16th, 2011 09:19

Thanks but it doesn't work on mine.

Oddly when you put key in the ignition -press and hold the odometer button then turn to position I and wait 5 seconds there is a beep sound and then when you turn to II the display shows 167 and then 045 before changing back to normal. Anyone know what these codes are?

Damn service indicator is still showing though!

400-ascona Mar 16th, 2011 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 864411)

Oddly when you put key in the ignition -press and hold the odometer button then turn to position I and wait 5 seconds there is a beep sound and then when you turn to II the display shows 167 and then 045 before changing back to normal. Anyone know what these codes are?

What I found when googled:

AH! The light goes on. That's a service message not a fault. For the life of us here in the shop, we've never been able to find the literature telling us what the heck the messages mean when resetting. VIDA has no information about them. We were told years ago that it had to do with the selections for service interval reminders set in the driver information module, but there are no instructions to that effect. Another typical one on the older S80's was "65". Nothing else, just the number "65". Even if you reset the transmission oil counter with the VIDA cart, it won't go off. The only thing I can suggest is that next time you have it at the dealer, tell them to reset the counters for fluid intervals.

Wish there was a master list that I could point you towards.

How do I cancel this message please s I find it irritating seeing for 6 months.

Peter

Accepted Answer

Is your "time for regular service" message staying on? The procedure for resetting is to put the key in position "I", hold the trip reset button and turn the key to position "II". Hold it until the warning light flashes. It should reset your service reminder, but after you reset it you may see that "045" afterwards. The service message shouldn't come on after that again except at startup.

If the message won't go away, you're going to have to take it to a dealer and have them perform a DIM (driver information module) upgrade. That will make the functions do what they are supposed to. You may have a software glitch with your reset function currently. Performing the software upgrade fixes it.

I couldn't access any of the advice on 167 due to internet restrictions at work. Just give it a Google.
Rob

Ron_XC90 Mar 16th, 2011 12:30

I posted this a while back and seems to have worked for some people:

1. Turn the key to position one
2. Push in the button for the trip meter, turn on the ignition (you should still press the button).
- Now it differ from if you have service lamp or service message.

Car with lamp: Release the button when service lamp start to flash.

Car with message: Release the button when the triangular warning sign start to flash.

To check
Turn off the ignition, turn it on again and start the engine. If the service message or lamp not have disappeared, start from the beginning again.

bobdabuilda Mar 16th, 2011 12:52

I persisted with various permutations and found that mine worked by doing

key to position I

then press and hold odometer button

turn key to II and wait for the triangle to start flashing before releasing it whilst still flashing.

It makes a beep sound and the message disappears!

Sweet. Thanks all.

Jim314 Mar 16th, 2011 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 864565)

key to position I

turn key to II and wait for the triangle to start flashing before releasing it whilst still flashing.

Sweet. Thanks all.

Thanks. I just tried this on my wife's US spec 2007 XC90 and it turned off the service needed message.

jtaw45 Mar 16th, 2011 15:11

I use the same method on my xc90 and s80,it doesn't always work first time but never usually takes more than 3 goes.

harvey07 Jul 30th, 2011 15:57

Worked first time for me...but no beep.

Cheers guys.

Icon123 Jul 31st, 2011 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 864411)

Same thing happens on my S40 (07), except it shows codes 006 and 013. No idea what they are!! I found this when trying to reset the service indicator using some info found in another thread. Did the same as you have mentioned and there was a beep after holding down the trip. Wondered if the codes could be the current software number, or was a numerical version of the dash displays. If anyone finds a link to what the codes mean I would be forever greatful!

FYI this is how I finally reset the service light:

Held down trip button with key in ignition, but in the zero position.
Turned the key to position 1 whilst still holding the trip.
The (i) light flashed and I let go of the trip.
Service light was gone.

bignose Sep 4th, 2011 12:29

just used this method myself...worked perfectly...again no beep

cheers guys

mike

Doodledebs Nov 7th, 2011 20:22

Worked for me too on my C70, hubby now has his coming on his XC90 so hopefully will work on that too.

Cheers guys

Mslizz Mar 19th, 2012 22:53

Genius! And thank you.
I had this done once after I took it to the dealership for a service issue but the tech neglected to remove the "Time for regular service" message. So I brought it back and the tech came out to the parking lot and did it with his apologies. It happened a second time about a year later and the dealership tried to charge me $30 for it; saying that was the minimum charge for hooking it up to the computer which they said was required to dismiss the message. Then I reminded him the tech had done it in the parking lot the previous time. GOTCHA!!!! Those dealerships will try to rip you off every time. So thanks for the accurate and useful information. Now I can do it myself. ;-)

GJB Mar 20th, 2012 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mslizz (Post 1120640)
Genius! And thank you.
I had this done once after I took it to the dealership for a service issue but the tech neglected to remove the "Time for regular service" message. So I brought it back and the tech came out to the parking lot and did it with his apologies. It happened a second time about a year later and the dealership tried to charge me $30 for it; saying that was the minimum charge for hooking it up to the computer which they said was required to dismiss the message. Then I reminded him the tech had done it in the parking lot the previous time. GOTCHA!!!! Those dealerships will try to rip you off every time. So thanks for the accurate and useful information. Now I can do it myself. ;-)

Name and shame the dealer

greenfingers Jun 16th, 2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJB (Post 1120784)
Name and shame the dealer

Absolutely right.
It annoys me that some stealerships think they should benefit from anything to do with the car which you have bought from them.
When it comes to faults, the tendency is the opposite!

n1ckxc90 Oct 11th, 2012 12:55

Pos 1, hold odo, Pos 2 hold until Triangle flashes - and release.

DONE

Thanks from a very happy "no messages" XC90 owner !!

Southside Volvo Jan 6th, 2013 13:47

Successfully did this last evening after some difficulty getting the actual timing right for pressing and releasing trip reset button.
Eventually used the following you tube post for the same gen S80 (mine's a V70)
on the iPad whilst sitting in the car (yeah, I know, all a bit high tech for me).
Saved me a 60 mile round trip to servicing dealer's nearest Volvo franchise to have service indicator reset.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=30V5H...5H85_mio&gl=GB

And...managed to do it without the prescribed rubber-ended pencil :thumbs_up:

Clan Jan 6th, 2013 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodledebs (Post 1020752)
Worked for me too on my C70, hubby now has his coming on his XC90 so hopefully will work on that too.

Cheers guys

dont you have your cars serviced then?

john29 Feb 3rd, 2013 19:56

Worked for my v50 too, many thanks.

Shadeyman Sep 7th, 2013 13:02

Pretty easy to do if you have have the right gear.

For those of you that can't do it, if your near Wolverhampton your welcome to pop round and use my VIDA/DICE software and interface to do the rest.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps16c6986d.jpg

ewanyengi Mar 21st, 2014 17:41

Thanks Ron, worked on MY56 s60.

Many months of sleepless nights and worry averted ;)

JohnL Mar 21st, 2014 19:36

Is there a way to set a service interval, or is it always set by the factory?
John

pandabear Mar 23rd, 2014 10:20

Quote:

key to position I

Sweet. Thanks all.

this also worked for me thanks posting I spent a while trying other methods without success.
BTW I have a 2006 model .
PB

JCDucrider Aug 11th, 2014 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 (Post 864552)
I posted this a while back and seems to have worked for some people:

1. Turn the key to position one
2. Push in the button for the trip meter, turn on the ignition (you should still press the button).
- Now it differ from if you have service lamp or service message.

Car with lamp: Release the button when service lamp start to flash.

Car with message: Release the button when the triangular warning sign start to flash.

To check
Turn off the ignition, turn it on again and start the engine. If the service message or lamp not have disappeared, start from the beginning again.

I was also getting the "045" message using the other method followed by the return of the dreaded "service needed" message (even though it's just been serviced, my man forgot to reset it or didn't know how). However, I tried Ron XC90's method and it worked first time on my '06 XC90 D5SE.

Thanks for the info.

DaveR46 Aug 29th, 2014 12:19

service light

Just tried it on my V50 worked 1st time thanks very much

jclark91 Mar 10th, 2015 16:48

Used on S60 with success.

[QUOTE=bobdabuilda;864565]I persisted with various permutations and found that mine worked by doing

key to position I

Sweet. Thanks all.[/QUOTE
Thanks for that, used it on my 08 S60 d5.
As you said, the triangle is still flashing when you release the odometer button.

zav Aug 27th, 2015 18:38

xc 90 T6 .worked 1st time thanks very much

sreviz Nov 24th, 2015 16:17

Thanks. It worked for me.

Acer Nov 25th, 2015 11:47

Quote:

key to position I

Sweet. Thanks all.

Is there a similar procedure for clearing the check emissions system (engine symbol) light on the dash?

Wern Nov 29th, 2015 12:47

Volvo S80 2002:

VIDA procedure:

go to

Vehicle Communication

DIM

Advanced

Resetting the service reminder indicator (SRI)

wrcaston Dec 3rd, 2015 10:08

I'm going to have to try these..thanks

aslan Dec 4th, 2015 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acer (Post 2016838)
Is there a similar procedure for clearing the check emissions system (engine symbol) light on the dash?

Afraid that one involves diagnosing the cause of the light. You can clear it up using a generic code reader or VIDA but it'll come back if the fault is not fixed.

Been there ..

Oh.. the tip for resetting service indicator also worked for my 08/09 model.

toob May 20th, 2016 13:53

Service reset proceedure

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 864300)
On audis there's a little trick to do this using the odometer, does anyone know if there's a similar trick on the xc90 or is it vida only?

I use this app which covers all cars.
Good luck