Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Message "on call - service required" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=62670)

rwaw Dec 9th, 2008 15:09

Message "on call - service required"

I have the comms pack incl Volvo "on-call"; today a message popped up : "on call - service required".
The handbook+RTI booklet says nothing about the on call service at all and the dealer just wants the car in for a few hours "to see what the diagnostics say".

Car is from June 2007 and has done 34K miles.

Has anybody had a similar experience ??

Thanks.

Clan Dec 9th, 2008 18:47

some problem with the phone , best get the dealer to look at the codes ...

rwaw Dec 9th, 2008 20:09

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; I removed fuse nr. 14 ("phone") and replaced after a few minutes and.........everything back to normal, even the error message from the display has gone.
Thanks again.

vee_tee Jan 20th, 2009 23:51

I picked up my '56' XC90 SE lux end of November (08) . (loving it by the way) and after 3 days I got the 'On Call - Service required' message on the dashboard.

Went to dealer - they reset on call unit - problem went away then 3 days later message came back on. They did same again - and again 3 days later it appeared again!

Went to another dealer who diagnosed it as a fauty microphone, so it was replaced under warranty. 3 days later, same message again! (can u see a pattern here)?

So, went back again, diagnosed this time as the wiring harness to the Microphone - so they replaced it under warranty and its been 10 days with no message! Looking like the harness fixed it.

Yippie!

rwaw Jan 21st, 2009 15:38

try fuse 14................
much easier, much quicker, and so far it's worked

AlanV Mar 19th, 2009 20:57

Just had a similar problem with an XC70, "on call - service required" and telephone would not switch on. I was going to disconnect the car battery to see if that would reset it. Much easier to remove the fuse (13 on XC70). Seems to have worked so far ...

Thanks for the idea.

4wheeldriver Mar 19th, 2009 21:03

Been getting the same on my Mums C30. Doesnt come on all the time. Happened 2 or 3 times now that shs noticed. Supposed to go to dealer last week to get looked at but had to be postponed.

Hinckley Mar 19th, 2009 21:40

I had that fault rectified on my 11 month old S80 this week, they diagnosed it as a faulty module in the end, the fault started as 'on call service required' then after 3 weeks went onto 'on call service de-activated'.

The funny thing is, the message first started appearing only on cold sub zero days not on plus zero ones.

Jon H Nov 4th, 2009 19:02

"On Call - Service Required" warning has been showing on my dash (Volvo V50 D5 56 plate) for the last couple of weeks. Tried the trick with the fuse with no success. Wife took it into the dealer today who said it was being caused by a "low battery". They charged the battery and charged her for the trouble which has cleared the fault.

My only question is which battery did they charge? I can only presume it's the main car battery in which case why is that not being flagged as the fault.

Any thoughts anyone?

Clan Nov 4th, 2009 19:51

This low battery code refers to the emergency battery inside the phone unit , it is there incase the main car battery is damaged in a crash , so the phone can still call the emergency services for you .
The problem is NOT the car battery OR the phone battery itself , but a glitch in the way the voltage is measured to check it .
It has to be reset on the volvo diagnostic equipment ie , simulate fitting a new battery but not actualy changing it .. your volvo dealer should know this ...

Jon H Nov 4th, 2009 21:32

Cheers Clan! I guess that must be what they did as the fault seems to have been cleared. The receipt says "recharged battery through vida" though? I wonder if this should have been covered on the warrenty.

Clan Nov 4th, 2009 22:20

It seems they have done it but should have said reset rather than recharge .. Yes should be a warranty issue its hardly your fault is it ..

Lynn66 Jan 12th, 2011 19:11

On Call sevice required

Can anyone help:

I have 'On call service required' come up as a message on my S40.
My radio, Cd , Sat Nav , phone or park assist are not working. The radio and sat nav flash intermittently.
I tried to reset the sat nav disc but now it refuses the disc sounding like it is constantly trying to eject.
I took it to Volvo where they confirmed this and gave me the following report:
Connected to Vida (diagnosis tool) to check for trouble codes. A number of codes were listed to the fault. The fuses were checked and all intact. A ring break test was carried out, this was ok. Checked MOST lock pulses between lock and not - suspect fault lies within ICM as this controls MOST lock.

I now have to take it back to be left for approx 2 hours for £230 where they will investigate further and could poss charge £700 odd or more.
This just doesn't seem right, my car is 4 years old and done 30,000 miles. I hardly use the phone or sat nav.
They say they haven't seen the problem before as don't often see an S40 with the added phone, sat nav etc that I have. So will have to check several things and it could take a while. How can this be that they do not know the problem when paying this kind of money £120 an hour at a Volvo main garage?

I know nothing about cars, can anyone advise.
Thank you.

Coconut Jan 13th, 2011 19:50

I had the "On Call Service Required" message come up, everything seemed to be working fine,
so I pressed the "On Call" button and spoke to the guy at the other end.
He said a new software update had been released and to go to the dealer to get it installed...

Went to dealer, they said they would check the system - knew nothing about a new software update,
but said they found a problem with the phone's hands free microphone - which they were able to fix !

It all seams to work fine ( still )!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...1/Coconut1.jpg

Pam Jan 21st, 2011 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn66 (Post 816079)
Can anyone help:

I have 'On call service required' come up as a message on my S40.
My radio, Cd , Sat Nav , phone or park assist are not working. The radio and sat nav flash intermittently.
I tried to reset the sat nav disc but now it refuses the disc sounding like it is constantly trying to eject.
I took it to Volvo where they confirmed this and gave me the following report:
Connected to Vida (diagnosis tool) to check for trouble codes. A number of codes were listed to the fault. The fuses were checked and all intact. A ring break test was carried out, this was ok. Checked MOST lock pulses between lock and not - suspect fault lies within ICM as this controls MOST lock.

I now have to take it back to be left for approx 2 hours for £230 where they will investigate further and could poss charge £700 odd or more.
This just doesn't seem right, my car is 4 years old and done 30,000 miles. I hardly use the phone or sat nav.
They say they haven't seen the problem before as don't often see an S40 with the added phone, sat nav etc that I have. So will have to check several things and it could take a while. How can this be that they do not know the problem when paying this kind of money £120 an hour at a Volvo main garage?

I know nothing about cars, can anyone advise.
Thank you.

My 2006 V50 has just been semi-repaired with similar problems.

The receipt says, "phm fault". I understand this is the phone which then knocks out on-call etc.

My car is 5 years old but Volvo covered 50% of the parts cost (phm unit only).

Everything now works except the cd 6 changer which keeps trying (and failing) to eject the disks. Volvo felt my cd problem wasn't linked to the phm problem and therefore wouldn't contribute to the cost. As it is so expensive I have opted to wait and see in case I find another solution. One of the cds ejected yesterday so maybe....

I assume my dealer contacted Volvo for agreement on contributing to the costs. Perhaps your dealer could try this too.

Good luck. It's still mega££££££

RoyMacDonald Jan 22nd, 2011 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 822920)

Everything now works except the cd 6 changer which keeps trying (and failing) to eject the disks. Volvo felt my cd problem wasn't linked to the phm problem and therefore wouldn't contribute to the cost. As it is so expensive I have opted to wait and see in case I find another solution. One of the cds ejected yesterday so maybe.

You could try these people......http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...97&postcount=5

Pam Feb 5th, 2011 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 823060)

Thank you and thanks to Central Services my CD & changer are now working.
My dealer removed the unit, sent it to Central Services, who then repaired the unit / replaced the mechanism and returned it to the dealer who refitted it for me.

Result! All fine again for far fewer ££.

mallo72 Feb 23rd, 2012 16:12

On Call Service Required S80 2007

I've got this issue and been told by volvo that the control unit for the phone needs replacing at £1,000, any one got any suggestions please?

Clan Feb 23rd, 2012 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallo72 (Post 1100722)
I've got this issue and been told by volvo that the control unit for the phone needs replacing at £1,000, any one got any suggestions please?

any idea what the fault codes are?

XC90 Dave Mar 31st, 2012 11:20

On Call De-activated

Yet again "On Call De-activated" has raised its ugly head, so took it into the dealer who has diagnosed a faulty microphone, which makes a lot of sense from other posts and the fact that it no longer acted as a noise cancelling mike. New mike on order from Sweden, so I'll keep you informed of progress. The other quirk is that my car appears not to be registered with on call, I'm wondering if the supplying dealer gave me someone else's code and registration, the dealer has said they will make enquiries!

See also http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...highlight=call

XC90 Dave Apr 25th, 2012 15:28

On Call De-activated

Finally got the new microphone fitted and the re-registration details for the On-call, after registration appears to be working OK, fingers crossed! As an additional item my current dealer had to obtain the registration details for the On-call separately from Volvo On-Call, transferring access as only 1 dealer is eligible to access this information.

Eli 1264 Jan 9th, 2014 15:19

2008 v70 d5

Hi Everyone, Appollogize if this post is in the wrong place (new member). I have been reading a thread regarding the " On Call Service Required" and i also have the same problem. Every 3 days it come on so off to the garage for a reset, i have spoken to my main dealer who says a possible PHM Module fault (£1000 to replace and £132 p/h labour). i have read about a fuse reset but i have read on any about the V70. Does anyone know what fuse to pull to make the " On Call" disappear?

Thanks
Chris

Bigice Jan 9th, 2014 18:15

If you have an xc90 then you need pull fuse 14, drivers side fuse box, its the phone fuse on the plastic cover to show where its located.... wait a few mins then put it back in...

AndySaxton Jan 9th, 2014 19:08

The fuse thing can work, and did for me for a while, then one day stopped working.

The problem can also be because of the On Call backup battery has gone flat, or because the microphone has broken, or in my case because the Volvo OnCall subscription ran out. I think the latter is the real reason for most people's issues.

I had a gripe with the main dealer and after a curt letter they agreed to pay for a years worth of Volvo OnCall and miraculously the problem went away!

rob xc90 May 15th, 2014 08:13

Cell phone working!!!!

Hey Guys
Many thanks for the advice on getting the phone kit in my XC90 working. Did the old fuse trick and stuck in a live sim card and hey presto PHONE came up on radio screen. I do have a music streaming car kit in it but this will be great for emergencies where signal coverage might be poor.
Thanks again for the invaluable info
Rob

XC90 Dave May 30th, 2014 18:55

On Call Backup Battery

On call service required has raised it's head again, diagnosed as the back up battery needing replacement, car only 4 years old. Dealer replacement very expensive, therefore, has any one done the replacement themselves with either a genuine or look alike battery?

Clan May 30th, 2014 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90 Dave (Post 1659098)
On call service required has raised it's head again, diagnosed as the back up battery needing replacement, car only 4 years old. Dealer replacement very expensive, therefore, has any one done the replacement themselves with either a genuine or look alike battery?

This has never actualy been the battery in my experience , It is the algorithm the software uses to calculate the battery condition .
It needs a battery reset at the dealer .

If yours is a 2011 model year it could be the Phone module faulty , your dealer should know which cars are involved .

It is easy to test the battery it should be 6 volts or above .

GJB May 30th, 2014 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1659119)
This has never actualy been the battery in my experience , It is the algorithm the software uses to calculate the battery condition .

If yours is a 2011 model year it could be the Phone module faulty , your dealer should know which cars are involved .

Had this on my 2010 3 months ago and was exactly as Clan says, dealer diagnosed over the phone and did job for £50 including VAT ( M R King Halesworth )

XC90 Dave Jun 2nd, 2014 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1659119)

I did what Clan suggested (thanks) and because the car was dealer serviced no charge for resetting the software, "On Call Service" now appears to have gone away, although the dealer did say that the battery only had 30% life left!

This again poses the question what to do if the battery does finally fail?

Clan Jun 2nd, 2014 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90 Dave (Post 1660879)
I did what Clan suggested (thanks) and because the car was dealer serviced no charge for resetting the software, "On Call Service" now appears to have gone away, although the dealer did say that the battery only had 30% life left!

This again poses the question what to do if the battery does finally fail?

I have never known a battery actualy fail yet . It is a Lithium Manganese Dioxide 6 volt battery a 2 cell and quite large . A voltage check on the output terminals is the best way to determine it's condition .

xco Dec 29th, 2014 10:31

Hi guys
I've read this thread with interest as I've just had the "ON CALL SERVICE REQUIRED" come up this morning.
The car outside temp gauge is reading -5 and as the car was used only last night and was perfectly fine (no messages) I am leaning towards the thinking that it is a sub -zero related problem as others have experienced.
Before I work through all the fixes others have tried can anybody tell me where I can find the location of the phone back up battery please?

I noticed when the car was warmed up and the screen clear that there was condensation running down the inside of the screen from the housing that sits centre top of the screen which contains the rain sensor and (I am assuming) the mic for the hands free phone and wonder if condensation may have damaged it .

I dont drive with the phone on generally but activated it this morning and all seems to be fine but message still up.

harveys Dec 29th, 2014 13:13

I had this message pop up last year.
Dealer said come in for a look, said battery fault ?.
I ordered a new battery was around £135+Vat from FRF that's better than the main dealer.
Changed it my self took 1.5 hours to change .then told the car new battery fitted never seen the code again but I did test the old battery which tested as fine ?.
This is what they look like.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/...psyhc89au2.jpg

xco Dec 29th, 2014 13:24

Thnx harveys but before I buy a new battery I want to run through the fixes others did but I dont know where that battery is fitted in the car, which is what I asked in the thread originally.
Where is the battery fitted in the car?

harveys Dec 29th, 2014 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by xco (Post 1812968)
Thnx harveys but before I buy a new battery I want to run through the fixes others did but I dont know where that battery is fitted in the car, which is what I asked in the thread originally.
Where is the battery fitted in the car?

On mine it's behind the cars phone keypad.

xco Dec 29th, 2014 14:44

Thnx mate
Just been out to the car and tried the fuse 14 RWAW /CLAN fix and it's worked so fingers crossed !

N8pes Mar 9th, 2016 16:38

On call service required

I've had the same problem on my XC90 08 I've had it into the dealer who have checked the battery which is fine but found that the fault is with the On call Module. The phone still receives call & can call out but to replace the module it's going to cost me the best part of £1000!!.....
I tried doing the quick fix with pulling fuse 14 but still had the warning sign I even spoke with the on call service provider who said that the on call service was last registered in 2010 & not been renewed since.

I've come to the same conclusion as the technician at Volvo that if It's not a service I use so instead of spending £1000 for the fix I'll just delete the message when it shows on the dash & carry on!....

pugley Mar 9th, 2016 17:26

I got fed up with the on call service message masking other messages.

Volvo do a sofware reflash to remove the on call monitoring system from the car. I suspect the very reason volvo offer this is that people no longer wish to subscribe once the car is older and/or privately owned.

£240 later no more annoying messages!

Clan Mar 9th, 2016 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugley (Post 2074659)
I got fed up with the on call service message masking other messages.

Volvo do a sofware reflash to remove the on call monitoring system from the car. I suspect the very reason volvo offer this is that people no longer wish to subscribe once the car is older and/or privately owned.

£240 later no more annoying messages!

what was the diagnostic result for the fault code you had ?

The safety part of the system is free , NO subscription needed , you only subscribe for the tracking and security part !
It is foolish to delete this safety system which you are lucky to have , it is only now being picked up by the masses 16 years after volvo first used it and to become law on all new cars soon .

The safety part of the system allows you to call the call centre for help about anything on your travels , and also features automatic call helping . for example if you end upside down in a ditch and are rendered unconscious the system calls the emergency services to where you are and sends data from the car so they can determine the state of the car . If you can still talk they will talk to you and see how bad things are . FOOLISH to have this disabled . your life depends on it .very Foolish of the dealer to do it as well .

N8pes Mar 10th, 2016 03:32

I've had the same problem on my 08 XC90 with the on call service required. Took it back to the dealer who checked it out & have said the phone module needs to be replaced. £826 for the module & £38 for the software the battery is showing 100% & they have tried to clear the warning sign but with no joy!.....

Think that as the car has not had the On call subscription since 2010 I'll leave it & just clear the warning sign of the dashboard via the stalk!....

pugley Mar 10th, 2016 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2074816)
what was the diagnostic result for the fault code you had ?

The safety part of the system is free , NO subscription needed , you only subscribe for the tracking and security part !
It is foolish to delete this safety system which you are lucky to have , it is only now being picked up by the masses 16 years after volvo first used it and to become law on all new cars soon .

The safety part of the system allows you to call the call centre for help about anything on your travels , and also features automatic call helping . for example if you end upside down in a ditch and are rendered unconscious the system calls the emergency services to where you are and sends data from the car so they can determine the state of the car . If you can still talk they will talk to you and see how bad things are . FOOLISH to have this disabled . your life depends on it .very Foolish of the dealer to do it as well .

You are completely entitled to your own opinion, which I respect. Your choice of the word "foolish" is a little arrogant.

MY opinion is that, due to faults in an ageing on-call system, I decided that I did not wish to pay for a battery replacement, I did not wish to pay for an out dated telephone module replacement. I did not wish to pay Volvo for an on-call subscription.
I needed a modern hands free phone alternative that did not require, the now outdated, dual sim card.
Also, the messages these faults displayed on the driver information panel masked other potentially more important driver alarms which I found annoying and distracting.

Basically my on-call system was not working properly so I chose to delete it and take my chances in the event of an accident. Just as I do in every other car I drive.