Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   144 power steering (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=133824)

arcturus Sep 12th, 2011 13:32

144 power steering

Hi, has anybody done an electric power steering add on for their 140, which ones are available and what sort of money?

john h Sep 12th, 2011 17:30

http://www.ezpowersteering.co.uk/

Kit for the 140 is marketed, but expensive I'd guess.

Cheaper DIY alternatives:
- assuming yours is LHD, retro-fit a hydraulic set-up from a 140 with OE PAS (e.g. a USA car)
- DIY electric using column from a Corsa or 106 or similar

John

arcturus Sep 13th, 2011 08:50

I guess I'll just put an extra couple of pounds in front tyres :)

arcturus Sep 13th, 2011 13:36

John, how dificult would it be to adapt and fit PAS from Corsa etc?

Borderzac Sep 13th, 2011 15:13

Thanks for raising this question and thanks John for the infomation.

I have 185 tyres on my car, I wonder how much difference it would make if you went back to 165 on the front?

Longstone tyres recommend 165 Michelin XZX run at 28psi.

I have tried to send you a couple of PM's but do not seem to have gone through - Thanks for cheque and sorry no, I only had the one key.

Best

John

john h Sep 13th, 2011 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 983971)
John, how dificult would it be to adapt and fit PAS from Corsa etc?

I've never done it so I can't say for sure. It would require some thought and problem solving, but not too bad.

Do a search on the internet. I have seen a 'how to' guide, but I'm can't remember where. It's a popular modification with classic rally people, so that might be a starting point.

John

skidje Sep 13th, 2011 20:29

Besides EZpowersteering here in Holland we have somebody else who is using the corsa PAS motors. His kit is about 450 EUR (400 GBP). Believe this is similar to what yr rallyboys are using!!!!

arcturus Sep 14th, 2011 08:45

Yes I got your emails, lots of repeats! Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderzac (Post 984038)
Thanks for raising this question and thanks John for the infomation.

I have 185 tyres on my car, I wonder how much difference it would make if you went back to 165 on the front?

Longstone tyres recommend 165 Michelin XZX run at 28psi.

I have tried to send you a couple of PM's but do not seem to have gone through - Thanks for cheque and sorry no, I only had the one key.

Best

John

arcturus Sep 14th, 2011 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidje (Post 984301)
Besides EZpowersteering here in Holland we have somebody else who is using the corsa PAS motors. His kit is about 450 EUR (400 GBP). Believe this is similar to what yr rallyboys are using!!!!

Can you let us have some info. A name or email address?

skidje Sep 14th, 2011 20:56

The name of this guy is Joost and can be reached om hobbybob1 at live dot nl .
I must remark though that he only made it for amazon and p1800 models until now. For the 140 it cannot be much different but simply needs to be made.

Joost needs the old steering column returned to make the next for the same model!

Goodluck.

john h Sep 15th, 2011 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidje (Post 984939)
The name of this guy is Joost and can be reached om hobbybob1 at live dot nl .
I must remark though that he only made it for amazon and p1800 models until now. For the 140 it cannot be much different but simply needs to be made.

Joost needs the old steering column returned to make the next for the same model!

Goodluck.

That is useful to know. I'm interested to hear how this works out.

Do you know whether he uses manual adjustment to vary the assistance, or a speed signal? If the latter, I wonder what needs to be fitted to get the signal (... maybe a sensor on the propshaft?)

Thanks

John

arcturus Sep 19th, 2011 08:54

Hi, contacted the guy in Holland. Doesn't do it for 140's but will look into it.

940_Turbo Sep 19th, 2011 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by john h (Post 985100)
That is useful to know. I'm interested to hear how this works out.

Do you know whether he uses manual adjustment to vary the assistance, or a speed signal? If the latter, I wonder what needs to be fitted to get the signal (... maybe a sensor on the propshaft?)

Thanks

John

You can buy a proprietary steering effort adjuster kit from body logic. Not speed sensitive though, just driver input.

http://www.bodylogicuk.com/90265/info.php?p=7

arcturus Sep 20th, 2011 09:12

That would do it for me. I only need PAS when parking and at slow manuvering speeds. I'm not as young or muscular as I was fifty years ago :)

arcturus Oct 9th, 2011 08:54

Just got this reply from Joost

Hi George,

I bought a nose from a volvo 144 and I started to make the EPS in the car, my question, what kind of car do you have (model and year)
Is it possible to make a photo from under the dashboard from the steering handlebar?
and are you still interested?

Regards Joost

Will do and report back. Btw were there any major changes made to the steering during the production lifetime of the 140 series?

arcturus Oct 9th, 2011 11:52

More from Joost.

This is the sameone car/model as I use!
The prise for a compleet set with everything with wiring, bolds, fuses is 475Euro but I need your steering bar, you can send it later to me,
but I must count deposit for it.

Regards Joost

I will email him and ask for a few tech details but will probably go for it.

arcturus Oct 9th, 2011 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrisclark (Post 1000885)
Do you know whether he uses manual adjustment to very the assistance,

He's going to send me some techy info

arcturus Oct 10th, 2011 09:04

joost joostb

I forget to tell that there is also an potentiometer so you can set your favorite insel.
09/10/2011
Reply ▼

joost joostb
To gbenedik@hotmail.co.uk
Hi George,

I use the electric power steering (EPS) from the opel corsa C-type, I also buy an "electic box" that produces some electric pulses.
The EPS works with torsion when ther is a lot of torsion the system helps a lot, when there is less torsion the system helps not so much.
When you drive slowly and you use the steering there is a lot off torsion so the system helps a lot, when you drive faster there is not so much torsion
so the EPS helps not so much.
In the EPS there is an sensor that registrate the torsion and he gives his signal to a "computer" together with the another box the system will work.
You can also adjust the sensor, that is nessesery when the EPS helps more to one site.

I hope you can follow what I wrote! (my english is not so good, my dutch is better!)
I also folow now the forum

Regards Joost

More info from Joost.

john h Oct 10th, 2011 17:59

Makes perfect sense to me.

John

arcturus Oct 11th, 2011 08:54

OK, now that I've decided to go ahead, how difficult / easy to take off steering wheel? On another tack, is the reservoir on the brake master cylinder integral or can it be replaced separately?

arcturus Oct 21st, 2011 19:21

1 Attachment(s)
PAS convertion ready! hope that this picture comes through!
Waiting for shipping

arcturus Nov 12th, 2011 09:16

2 Attachment(s)
Job done! the car has been transformed and it's now a joy to drive in the urban setting. Will post pic's later :) :)

franciscosousa Nov 12th, 2011 17:39

nice work George

john h Nov 12th, 2011 19:22

Excellent, well done

John

arcturus Nov 13th, 2011 11:33

1 Attachment(s)
Job finished, everything tucked away neatly out of sight.

cptcook56 Mar 26th, 2012 08:47

very interesting
I asked myself the same question that you.
and your solution looks really good
ultimately has the power controller you ask for assistance or not?
Regards

arcturus Mar 26th, 2012 09:41

Hi, not sure that I understand your question but I can confirm that the system works tres bien. It took a little time, a few kms to settle in. It was a bit "notchey" at first but has settled in nicely. Nice and smooth and easly adjustable. Has transformed the driving experience.
BTW, your 140 looks excelent.i would love to go to the "Trol" but it's just a bit to far away for me

asjesus Mar 26th, 2012 09:58

Is an interesting transformation, but in my view loses 140 classic sense.

The maneuvers with the parked car can cost a bit, but in the road is very smooth.

cptcook56 Mar 26th, 2012 11:32

Hi
I wanted to send you a PM but I did not asser message to do so (minimum 30)
So here is the Mp I intended for you

you have more info than what you have post.
what type of management should take your sweats and what the corsa parts / year?

how do the mounting?
time that your requests?
you use a new or used parts?
you have a plan side of the facility?
and finally how much your it cost?

As you can see my English is very bad (I'm French) I beg you to forgive me for that bad language
Regards
Christophe Robine (cptcook56)
Ps my personel email address: crobine@libertysurf.fr

cptcook56 Mar 26th, 2012 11:34

It is true that it's a bit far to go to trolls
but it is also an opportunity to discover a very nice places
In a slightly longer stays
If you ever pass through the contact I have a lot of fun meeting you

arcturus Mar 26th, 2012 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by asjesus (Post 1125381)
Is an interesting transformation, but in my view loses 140 classic sense.

The maneuvers with the parked car can cost a bit, but in the road is very smooth.

Even at urban speeds the 140's are "heavy" OK for some of the younger ones but almost dangerously so as the years pass by. I found that I was taking corners in the city wide as I couldn't get the steering round quick enough. Not much having a classic car that can't be driven enjoyably

arcturus Mar 26th, 2012 13:48

Best to contact Joost at, hobbybob1@live.nl.
It cost about €400. Contact me at gbenedik@hotmail.co.uk. I do understand some French but not very much.My mind is tuned into Portuguese Send your address and I will send you some illustrations.

BGA Apr 15th, 2013 06:46

arcturus, hope you dont mind me using your thread. I intend to build and install a EPAS for my 145-73. Have a Corsa C EPAS. Now I need info how to connect 145 steering wheel shaft to EPAS input shaft.
Pics shows what it looks like today.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bogunna...on/15April2013

arcturus Apr 15th, 2013 09:30

Picture not downloaded. Use a diferent format.

BGA Apr 15th, 2013 09:48

I tried as many ways as I could think of to get the real pictures in my question, but no sucess. If you click on the shown Picasa adress shown I hope you are able to see the pictures.
Thanks
Bo G

arcturus Apr 15th, 2013 15:00

make sure that your files are not too big. Reduce to about 350 kb

BGA Apr 16th, 2013 11:05

arcturus, it seems impossible for me to insert more than one pic in my reply, so Iwill try with first pic.

http://https://picasaweb.google.com/...on/16April2013

BGA Apr 16th, 2013 11:09

arcturus, can you see my pics at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bogunna...on/15April2013 ?

Derek UK Apr 16th, 2013 11:47

That comes up as page not found. Use Photobucket. Copy/paste the img link into your post. The img link is at the bottom of 4 options. If you right click "Img" the url to the right of it will do a fade and recover to show that it's been copied. Click back to you post, right click, paste. If you have photo bucket opened in a new tab it's quick to go back and forth.

BGA Apr 17th, 2013 04:57

Thanks Derek. Let me have a try with Photobucket.
I think it worked, but it doesnt fade when right clicking!

arcturus, hope you dont mind me using your thread. I intend to build and install a EPAS for my 145-73. Have a Corsa C EPAS. Now I need info how to connect 145 steering wheel shaft to EPAS input shaft.
Pics shows what Corsa EPAS looks like today when I have dismantled it without using any force.
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/BG...tml?sort=3&o=2
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/BG...tml?sort=3&o=3
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/BG...tml?sort=3&o=1