Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Wanted...XC90 T8... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314054)

Guymcc Feb 6th, 2021 08:45

Wanted...XC90 T8...

Hi folks,

Thought I’d put a thread up here.... Starting to look for a second hand XC90 T8.... R-design is top of the list and not silver.... Not too fussed on spec...although would like air suspension, tow bar, 360 camera and family pack (oh and B&W...would be awesome!)...

Looking around 30-50k miles and I’d say around £27k - £35k budget..

Let me know if you’re thinking of selling or handing back a pcp or trading in..

Cheers:teeth_smile:

Clan Feb 6th, 2021 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2707269)
Hi folks,

Thought I’d put a thread up here.... Starting to look for a second hand XC90 T8.... R-design is top of the list and not silver.... Not too fussed on spec...although would like air suspension, tow bar, 360 camera and family pack (oh and B&W...would be awesome!)...

Looking around 30-50k miles and I’d say around £27k - £35k budget..

Let me know if you’re thinking of selling or handing back a pcp or trading in..

Cheers:teeth_smile:

I would buy from the dealer's SELEKT used car scheme with it's comprehensive warranty The T8 is a highly complex car and you don't want to buy someone else's problems , repair bills on these cars is going to be in the 1000's not 100's .....

Guymcc Feb 6th, 2021 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2707323)
I would buy from the dealer's SELEKT used car scheme with it's comprehensive warranty The T8 is a highly complex car and you don't want to buy someone else's problems , repair bills on these cars is going to be in the 1000's not 100's .....

Yeh that would certainly be my preference, but there are a few 4x4 dealers (Saxton come to mind) that hold a bit of stock, and if the car has been with a Volvo dealer for servicing and then sold to said garage, then i dont think this would be too risky, as i fully intend to take out an extended warranty. Been reading about ERAD etc...:shocked:

XC90Mk1 Feb 6th, 2021 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2707392)
Yeh that would certainly be my preference, but there are a few 4x4 dealers (Saxton come to mind) that hold a bit of stock, and if the car has been with a Volvo dealer for servicing and then sold to said garage, then i dont think this would be too risky, as i fully intend to take out an extended warranty. Been reading about ERAD etc...:shocked:

You must be mad! The only issue I had with mine in the last 4 years and 45,000 was about 2 weeks after I bought the vehicle. The DEM pump in the rear failed. As I bought from volvo they apologised and repaired it fully.

With a T8 the list of £3,000 parts that can fail are mind boggling. And then some! The Volvo Selekt at that prove is worth every penny. All in my opinion of course.

If your budget was 20k then sure, you would need to pound the private and independent ones but at your price point Volvo selekt is probably the best option.

Have you ever (ERAD total failure) tried to claim a £9,000 part from a warranty company. I would be most wary myself. Of course only my own opinion.

Guymcc Feb 6th, 2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2707394)
You must be mad! The only issue I had with mine in the last 4 years and 45,000 was about 2 weeks after I bought the vehicle. The DEM pump in the rear failed. As I bought from volvo they apologised and repaired it fully.

With a T8 the list of £3,000 parts that can fail are mind boggling. And then some! The Volvo Selekt at that prove is worth every penny. All in my opinion of course.

If your budget was 20k then sure, you would need to pound the private and independent ones but at your price point Volvo selekt is probably the best option.

Have you ever (ERAD total failure) tried to claim a £9,000 part from a warranty company. I would be most wary myself. Of course only my own opinion.

Are you saying mad because only a warranty that a volvo main dealer can give you will cover big bills?

Clan Feb 6th, 2021 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2707405)
Are you saying mad because only a warranty that a volvo main dealer can give you will cover big bills?

This isn't really specific to Volvo , ANY make of hybrid is going to be VERY expensive if anything needs repairing ....
If you buy a car with volvo servicing from a volvo dealer rather than some General purpose car sales lot ...you are much more likely to get some help or goodwill from them .

XC90Mk1 Feb 6th, 2021 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2707405)

I am saying that the selekt warrenty will in essence pay out unlimited funds to make good any problems. When you try to claim £50 from a warrenty company they will do all within their power to wiggle out of it.

I would only buy something as complex as a 400BHP hybrid from a proper approved used scheme at your price point.

If you take out an independent warrenty at £29 a month and 2 weeks later the ERAD goes at £4,500 I would expect a lot of headaches. The issues I have seen with people having a claim then finding their year 6 service was a minor when it should have been a major, or a service stamp is missing or blah blah blah is a lot.

Obviously you won’t get those issues with a selekt warrenty.

Guymcc Feb 7th, 2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2707544)
This isn't really specific to Volvo , ANY make of hybrid is going to be VERY expensive if anything needs repairing ....
If you buy a car with volvo servicing from a volvo dealer rather than some General purpose car sales lot ...you are much more likely to get some help or goodwill from them .

Yeh, I’d definitely agree with you there. Help and goodwill would be easier. I suppose it may come down to what the small print in any warranty is...

The problem is there are very few cars that fall in to what I’m looking for on Volvo selekt.... but are there are many others out there... more than likely with full volvo service history. I’ll certainly be buying one with FVSH.

Out of interest can a ‘selekt warranty’ be bought separately? My main dealer is Arnold Clark Aberdeen, if buying from them, does the car qualify for a selekt warranty?

Cull06 Feb 7th, 2021 12:48

You need to ask them mate.

Re xc90mk1’s comments. I do agree re buying selekt if poss as it’s a complicated beast.

But getting one in the right spec and budget makes that more difficult. If I were you I would approach the garage where you’re planning to service the car and ask them about it. Is it a Volvo garage or an independent? They might recommend a warranty and confirm that it’s covered ERAD before, for example.

Guymcc Feb 7th, 2021 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2707689)
You need to ask them mate.

Re xc90mk1’s comments. I do agree re buying selekt if poss as it’s a complicated beast.

But getting one in the right spec and budget makes that more difficult. If I were you I would approach the garage where you’re planning to service the car and ask them about it. Is it a Volvo garage or an independent? They might recommend a warranty and confirm that it’s covered ERAD before, for example.

Yeh, thats a good shout... Nothing beats picking up the phone and actually speaking to someone.

Clan Feb 7th, 2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2707820)
Yeh, thats a good shout... Nothing beats picking up the phone and actually speaking to someone.

One thing does ..... Reading the small print yourself 👍

XC90Mk1 Feb 7th, 2021 22:44

I will explain how warranties work (as opposed to how the warranty company/car salesman will sell it to you). Anyone who has tried to claim on a warrenty will support this.

1) you purchase a ‘bumper to bumper’ top class product which the sales person tells you ‘basically covers anything other than wear and tear items such as tyres and Windows’.

2). You have an issue and the company will need to see your service history. Every stamp will need to be present. Then every stamp will need to be within 1month/1,000miles of when required or else the claim will be denied as vehicle was not serviced as required. Also every stamp will be followed up to ensure it was a major/minor when required.

Any, and I mean ANY deviation from this since the day the car was made and you have no warrenty.

3). It’s a warranty and not a fit to buy type product. Therefore consumables and ‘normal west and tear’ are not covered. Accordingly your clutch can fail 3 days later, or brake pads, or rotors and you won’t get them replaced. As an Engineer it’s right to take that approach. It’s a friction lining and it is not the warranty companies fault you bought a lemon.

4). You will find your definition of ‘west and tear’ and the warranty companies differs. ‘West and tear’ is actually all friction linings, all bushes, all bearings, all journals etc etc etc. So now things like shell bearings which prematurely west are no longer an engine failure, they are routine west and tear.

5). Upon having anything expensive go wrong the company will demand an ‘independant’ inspection. This ‘independent’ inspection will be by one of their companies. And supprise ‘oil low level’, or ‘starvation’ by owner will be at fault, or maintenance/inspection not carried out, or Blah Blah Blah...

6). There will be limits on payouts. For example £1,000 and your bill will be £1,100 hence it will not be covered period.

Now if you were looking at a £3,000 to £3,500 car then it’s a difficult conversation. But £30,000 you are crazy to boot buy selekt. Volvo are the supplying dealer and Volvo undertake warrenty work. There is no third party and no one to ‘pass the buck’. Drive the car of the forcort and have a 9k engine problem and Volvo will apologise and fix it.

XC90Mk1 Feb 7th, 2021 22:46

Don’t know why my autocorrect has corrected every ‘wear’ to ‘west’! Apologies!

Guymcc Feb 8th, 2021 08:12

Thanks for taking the time to reply xc90mk1, that actually really helps.... Perhaps I should just keep driving my disco3! Haha...

So it sounds like selekt is the way to go, and i doubt arnoldclark, even though they are the main dealer in Aberdeen, wont be able to offer the same cover as buying selekt.

I suppose there’s risk in everything, it’s just how you weigh it and how risk averse you are... yes the T8 is a complicated machine... but so are most new cars, and a large bill can happen on any of them... engine failure etc...

How many T8’s have had to have an engine replacement? And why?
What are the big failures on these T8’s... only thing ive read about is the ERAD, and some have had to pay half and some, with third party warranties has had it covered completely....

Clutches can start to go any time, so I’d say thats wear and tear anyway.... and if discs and pads fail, well then thats those items and not the ‘lemon’.

I’m definitely wanting to go in to T8 ownership with my eyes open and want to be aware of potential pitfalls...so feedback on major failures is helpful, as is warranty issues...

Thanks for the help....it does honestly help.:regular_smile:

XC90Mk1 Feb 8th, 2021 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2708000)
Thanks for taking the time to reply xc90mk1, that actually really helps.... Perhaps I should just keep driving my disco3! Haha...

So it sounds like selekt is the way to go, and i doubt arnoldclark, even though they are the main dealer in Aberdeen, wont be able to offer the same cover as buying selekt.

I suppose there’s risk in everything, it’s just how you weigh it and how risk averse you are... yes the T8 is a complicated machine... but so are most new cars, and a large bill can happen on any of them... engine failure etc...

How many T8’s have had to have an engine replacement? And why?
What are the big failures on these T8’s... only thing ive read about is the ERAD, and some have had to pay half and some, with third party warranties has had it covered completely....

Clutches can start to go any time, so I’d say thats wear and tear anyway.... and if discs and pads fail, well then thats those items and not the ‘lemon’.

I’m definitely wanting to go in to T8 ownership with my eyes open and want to be aware of potential pitfalls...so feedback on major failures is helpful, as is warranty issues...

Thanks for the help....it does honestly help.:regular_smile:

I have bought used before however the one time I had a problem it was an absolute nightmare getting warrenty work done. Every trick in the book was done.

When I bought mine through Volvo (I was lucky they had my colour) I negotiated a really really good price and I was very happy. It was as cheap as an independant.

They said that it would go through the workshop before collection and to my supprise they said the front rotors and pads were low so they replaced them. They also fitted a new indicator assembly in the wing mirror as the old one was found to be faulty (I had not noticed either of these despite being a very competent home mechanic). It had a full Volvo service as they said it only had a few weeks left and came with the year Volvo breakdown cover.

I drove it off the forecourt and it had the only problem I have ever had which was the Haldex control module. Emailed dealer who responded to say bring it back, apologised and said that whatever was required would be completed. They reset it (didn’t work) and then replaced the DEM module without question.

I should image those works would cost me £1,500 at least and I should imagine that it would be an absolute bightmare to get from a third party...

To be fair to Volvo, whilst I don’t rate the dealership (since the day I bought it I have always serviced it myself including cam belt etc) they did stand behind their product 100%.

XC90Mk1 Feb 8th, 2021 08:33

Incidentally I am not sure how common ERAD problems are but I would cert lot think it is very very common (within perspective). It would be interesting to do a poll on here, I would put it above 10%.

The power pulse pipe can also give issues.

Something like a T8 with its supercharged, turbocharged and electric train is not only costly but also may wel be complex enough to require a number of fixes to work out what is wrong...

Guymcc Feb 8th, 2021 21:09

Again, thanks for the input.... I have got some time before committing to buying anything, so yeh, will be keeping an eye on stock that volvo selekt have.

Still not sure how arnoldclark in aberdeen tie in with them being the main dealer in the north east of Scotland and with volvo selekt....?? Is there any connection? Can you buy a selekt car from them?

St Evelyn Feb 9th, 2021 08:54

Yes, Arnold Clark Aberdeen appears to be the Volvo Franchise for the area, so all used cars they sell will be Selekt approved with a Selekt warranty. https://www.volvocars.com/uk/find-a-...ilers/aberdeen

Guymcc Feb 9th, 2021 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by St Evelyn (Post 2708372)
Yes, Arnold Clark Aberdeen appears to be the Volvo Franchise for the area, so all used cars they sell will be Selekt approved with a Selekt warranty. https://www.volvocars.com/uk/find-a-...ilers/aberdeen

AH thats excellent, cheers

Guymcc Feb 9th, 2021 09:44

Thoughts on this...?? It’s got a tow bar and air suspension ...which is good... definitely pushing the budget... but I dare say i could get something off it.

What grey is it..looks darker than osmium?
https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-car.../arnbi-u-68267

St Evelyn Feb 9th, 2021 11:49

Looks like a nice car, not sure on what colour it is, sorry.

The challenge you have with it is that it's being sold by the Stafford 'Motorstore' rather than Arnold Clark Volvo, Aberdeen. If you were to buy it today as is then you'd effectively be buying from an independent garage and not through Volvo Selekt. You could ask Arnold Clark whether they'd transfer it to Aberdeen but I suspect their answer would be no as they're different parts of the group. They may agree a branch transfer to another Motorstore, such as Dundee, but to move the car on to a franchised dealer....I have my doubts. That said, there's nothing lost in asking - if you don't ask you don't get as my Dad taught me many years ago (and it's an adage that's worked well for me over the years :) ).

St Evelyn Feb 9th, 2021 12:05

You might have more luck finding a car on Select and asking the dealer to transfer - I know that BMW dealers will do this so I suspect the same is feasible with Volvo dealers, however, they'd then negotiate a purchase price for your dealer to pay the original dealer, reducing your ability to negotiate a discount, so not ideal.

When I was last looking to buy I had an excellent experience at Johnsons in Gloucester - the salesman really was excellent and would be one of the first people I'd call when next looking to change. I've just had a quick look through and they've a very similar car listed to the one you shared - both are 67-plate R-Design Pro with 29K miles and factory towbar. Main differences I can see are colour (Johnson's is black - great or awful depending on your viewpoint), audio (Johnson's car has the B&W upgrade) and £1500. Here's the link.

Guymcc Feb 9th, 2021 17:31

When i briefly spoke to Arnold Clark about getting something that they didn’t have in aberdeen they said as long as it was within the AC group, then there shouldn’t be a problem getting it. He was aware that he doesn’t have any stock of T8’s (within budget) and would be looking to source one anyway... so perhaps it would still be fine.

The other black one is cracking spec wise.... would need to do some serious man maths! Haha

Guymcc Feb 9th, 2021 20:48

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/us...zip=AB31%204JY

Another on the volvo selekt.....higher mileage...and in Northern Ireland.... but a possibility ...

Guymcc Feb 13th, 2021 20:06

Anyone any thoughts on this car above...higher mileage..

Guymcc Feb 20th, 2021 11:36

One step closer... Deposit payed today.... Should hopefully all come together next week. Fingers crossed! :teeth_smile:

St Evelyn Feb 20th, 2021 13:00

That's great news!

What car did you go for in the end? Do you have a link?

Guymcc Feb 20th, 2021 14:06

Yep... no photos yet as they’ve only just purchased the vehicle themselves.... great spec...RD pro in bursting blue...

http://www.wimbledoncarriage.co.uk/u...ybrid/id-6206/

Very nice chap, owner of garage (reminded me of Harry Metcalfe when speaking to him)..

XC90Mk1 Feb 20th, 2021 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guymcc (Post 2711562)
Yep... no photos yet as they’ve only just purchased the vehicle themselves.... great spec...RD pro in bursting blue...

http://www.wimbledoncarriage.co.uk/u...ybrid/id-6206/

Very nice chap, owner of garage (reminded me of Harry Metcalfe when speaking to him)..

That sounds nice, well done!

Guymcc Feb 21st, 2021 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2711728)
That sounds nice, well done!

Thanks, fingers crossed its as described, and everything goes smoothly. Pretty excited!

Guymcc Mar 3rd, 2021 13:31

I’ve taken delivery of the car, and it’s spotless! Very pleased! Soooooo nice to drive and very very different to the Discovery 3!!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...44c1a00e_k.jpg3579A6F4-8CB5-4AAC-97FC-790E434B01F4 by Guy McCallum, on Flickr

St Evelyn Mar 3rd, 2021 13:57

Looks very nice, glad you're happy with it. :)

XC90Mk1 Mar 3rd, 2021 15:25

Looks lovely!