Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850/x70 S1 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   !998 R reg V70 tdi Auto for sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=117793)

keithC70 Feb 25th, 2011 22:31

!998 R reg V70 tdi Auto for sale

I bought my (Nautic Blue with oak leather) V70 tdi auto last February. It had one original owner, so now 2 owners only. I bought it at 190k and I just went through 198k today but I have to sell it now as yesterday I bought myself a V70 D5 SE Gtronic.

It sailed through the MOT 2 weeks ago, so ok until 8th Feb 2012. It's taxed until May. It's all clean and tidy, no massive dents, no accident damage, no rust etc. It's a credit to the first owner but he did tell me that he'd spent a fortune with Volvo over the years!

I have done a great deal of work to the car this year and it's in excellent mechanical order. It also still looks pretty good despite the little scratches and dints that any 13 year old car has, but it does need the wheels refurbishing to set it off. It runs perfectly with no knocks or rattles, smooth gear changes, and all works as it should. I also have a Volvo 6 cd changer for the boot, but never got the double din cable to connect it.

I have bills for all the parts I've fitted but the work I've done was;

New serpentine belt, new tensioner, new idler,
New cambelt, new tensioner, new water pump (new anti-freeze), new idler,
New pump belt, new tensioner, new idler,
New crankshaft seal
Rebuilt vacuum pump (see my article)
Replace tailgate wiper motor, new seal to wiper arm, tailgate repair kit,
New fog lamp.
New rear brake caliper, new pads, renew brake fluid,
2 new delta links,
2 new tyres on front,
2 new drop links,
2 new spring seats on the front shockers,
4 wheel alignment
Air con re-charge and adjusted compressor clutch gap,
Drain and flush atf,
New oil and filter.

Just imagine what that lot would cost with labour added!

I also bought Vol fcr (there are no faults) so that I could set the dynamic timing. It is spot on! It starts first time, every time, even in the depths of winter. No smoke, no leaks, uses no oil or water. The computer is showing 46.3 mpg today on a mixture of town and motorway driving. I reckon it's about 3 mpg on the high side compared with brim to brim measurement. On a long motorway run at 70 it will read over 50 mpg (so 47 mpg) - amazing for a car of this age and weight!

So, "how much do you want?", I hear you say.

Well I've seen them go for as little as £1000, but I think one like that would need a lot of work doing to it, and I've seen them with dealers asking £2495 (actually I think there was one at £3995 last year), but I doubt that any will have had the attention this one's had. It's ready to do another 200k miles and will make a great reliable workhorse for someone!

Really you need to see it, drive it and make me an offer if you're interested. I'll wash it tomorrow and get some photos done and if not sold to a fellow enthusiast/forum member, I'll get round to putting it on fleabay.

Any questions, you can phone me on 01792 545880 or email on jennerkeith at yahoo dot co dot uk.

keithC70 Feb 26th, 2011 19:27

I gave it a quick wash today to take these photos. The more I washed, the more I realise it needs a good polish and the inside needs a good valet too.

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF0398.jpg

I've put the photos in photobucket and you can see them here

http://photobucket.com/keith7187

It'll save me trying to load them on here!

If you've any questions give me a ring on 01792 545880 or pm me or email on jennerkeith at yahoo dot co dot uk

Cheers

tc Feb 26th, 2011 19:58

You'd sell it better putting a price on it...what do you want for it?.

keithC70 Feb 26th, 2011 20:32

Yes, I'm sure you're quite right.

Well I paid a thousand for it and I've just added up everything I've spent in the last year from the receipts and it comes to well over a thousand.

Obviously I want as much as possible so I don't lose too much but I know I've got to be realistic, so I'm open to offers. (Having said that I've just seen one W reg, 80k miles and they're asking £5000!)

If anyone's interested, make me an offer.

Cheers,

Keith

Citizen.Agfa Feb 26th, 2011 20:42

Some points (meant in the kindest possible way):

Dealers prices reflect a couple of things, mainly that they're in business to make a profit, and to a lesser extent that they have to warrant, for 6 months, any car they sell, so prices tend to be higher on the forecourt.

Another point is that expenditure (on an item) does not always translate into increased value of said item; I recently sold my 144 for considerably less than the total I had spent restoring it.

Good luck with the sale and kind regards, C.A.

keithC70 Feb 26th, 2011 23:38

Yes, thanks for that. I guess you're right and someone's going to get an absolute bargain!

RoyMacDonald Feb 27th, 2011 14:59

Have you decided how much you want for it yet?

keithC70 Feb 27th, 2011 15:45

Hello Roy,

I want to sell it and I'm open to offers.

I'll be putting it on ebay if no-one from the forum is interested.

Cheers,

Keith

RoyMacDonald Feb 27th, 2011 16:24

There is a similar spec car on ebay for £1350. Is that the sort of price you're looking for?

stevesvolvo Feb 27th, 2011 16:50

I would at £1350!

PM if interested

keithC70 Feb 27th, 2011 17:01

I think I see the one you mean and my first thought is that it's a year older with velour cloth not leather.

Why would anyone put a car on ebay with only four photos when you get twelve free? So does it have the rear load cover? Does it have a cd player? etc.

Also, without knowing the car and it's history it's impossible to say what might or might not need work. It says new cambelt but the main failure point on these engines is the water pump. Was that done at the same time? Was the tensioner replaced?

Also for instance does it need droplinks, top mounts, or even the dreaded delta links? These are all common wear points on cars of this age.

You'd have to see it and drive it to know.

Mine has been sorted! So I think to be fair it's worth more than that one. But you tell me what you think - I'd be interested to know.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Keith

The Hooded Claw Feb 27th, 2011 17:08

Keith,

(From 1 Keith to another here) you've bin asked several times what you want for it & so Far aint answred that really important question ..

Human Nature says people WILL NOT make you an offer (for fear of offending you) ...

now, YOU KNOW what YOU WANT for it put it down on paper (here) then at least the guys who are interested will have a "Starting point" to work from ...

No Offence intended here Keith, but you just gotta "PUT YER CARDS ON THE TABLE" mate!!

Regards

Another Keith

keithC70 Feb 27th, 2011 17:27

Yes Keith, I don't want to ask too much and deter people from making an offer. I certainly won't be offended by any offer as I understand that everyone wants a bargain - I do myself.

The fact is as I've already said I've spent over £2100 altogether and I don't think anyone's going to offer that much. So I'm going to take a loss and someone else is going to benefit from my change of mind. I spent the money expecting to keep the car for many years but suddenly this D5 came up (bargain price) and I was tempted to change.

I like my cars to be right, start immediately and ready to go anywhere at a moments notice - I drove to London and back on Thursday - and so I spend money to get things right - I must be one of Rufe's best customers not counting garages!

......... but £1350 is a low don't you think?

What do you think would be a fair price?

Cheers,

Keith (Come on you Blues - I'm from Brum!)

mr shifter Feb 27th, 2011 17:31

Im from n/w london so come on gooners

keithC70 Feb 27th, 2011 19:41

Now listed on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

Someone's going to be lucky and get a bargain!

Good luck and happy bidding!

RoyMacDonald Feb 28th, 2011 11:13

Hi Keith.

You only mention the servicing work that you've done to the car recently. Do you have the paperwork history for the car? ie invoices mot's etc. The car's overall history is more important to me than the latest service.

Also do you have a photo of the engine bay? (not the close up without the engine cover)

Thanks.

keithC70 Feb 28th, 2011 13:34

Hello Roy,

It always amazes me, you try to be really thorough and then go and miss something important - thanks for that!

Yes I've got the service book and a wodge of bills etc. The car was serviced by Volvo dealers up to 110k, then by a local garage to 130K. After that there's no stamp in the book. On condition and performance though, I could tell it had been looked after properly and regularly serviced.

I spoke to the owner, a very pleasant gentleman, who assured me that he'd had it serviced every 10k at his local garage. He didn't bother to get the book stamped, so I asked him to send me any paperwork, bills, etc if he came across them and he said he would. I asked him when the cambelt was changed and if they did the water pump and he really didn't know. "I just pay the bills", he said.

So with it being uncertain I decided to do the lot to be on the safe side. When I took it all apart, none of the belts looked worn and none of the tensioners or idlers or even the water pump were badly worn, so I think they had probably been done not too long before.

Sadly, shortly after, his wife wrote to me saying he'd passed away after illness so I never got any more papers.

I've just added a couple of photos of the engine compartment to my album in photoshop as well.

Cheers,

Keith

keithC70 Mar 2nd, 2011 13:46

Well I was pleased to see this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which ended just now.

£1777 - I hope!

large Mar 2nd, 2011 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithC70 (Post 853686)
Well I was pleased to see this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which ended just now.

£1777 - I hope!

well he got a good price for it but that one has not got as many miles on it as your's and with FSH. Yes we all no there good for 300k+ but high mileage will but a lot of people off but looking at your can and how clean it is and what you have done to it i would say you'll be looking at round about the £1500 mark but at the end of the day it down to whos got the cash at the time

keithC70 Mar 2nd, 2011 17:04

Yes I agree.

I've had someone come and see it, test drive it, and then offer £1500, which I accepted.

Then he disappeared, "to get the money", and I haven't heard anything since!

Hence the ebay entry!

kardanaxel Mar 2nd, 2011 17:22

That's bizarre... Sorry to hear that Keith. If it wasn't an auto (I'm not sure why I don't like autos, I just don't) I'd consider it, definitely.

RoyMacDonald Mar 2nd, 2011 19:59

You can get some odd people looking at cars for sale.

I was looking at that particular V70 but I started to think that for a bit extra it might suit me better to get one with the Volvo engine rather than the Audi. I had been thinking there would be a big difference in price between the two but it's not as great as I thought.

Still keeping an eye on yours though.

keithC70 Mar 2nd, 2011 21:28

Roy you're quite right, although "odd" is being kind!

I've had an amazing number of calls - quite a few from people who obviously don't know Volvos, and don't know V70's, (and probably don't know what the hell they're doing!), who spin me stories and expect me to sell it for 5p.

As I said to my wife though, it's nice to think that I've played my part in entertaining those sad people who are usually described as needing, "care in the community".

"If I can bring joy into their humdrum lives, then my livin' ain't been in vain ferr nuthin!" (Singing in the Rain - my favourite film)

RoyMacDonald Mar 3rd, 2011 10:01

Yes, some sellers can be the same as well. I remember some years ago driving 60 miles to see a car and when I got there it hadn't been washed for some time. OK I thought lets see what it sounds like but then it wouldn't start and they guy was like, why are you wasting my time, when I said I wouldn't consider it without hearing it run.

keithC70 Mar 15th, 2011 17:20

V70 tdi Now Sold

Now sold - thanks for all your interest

Keith

RoyMacDonald Mar 15th, 2011 19:02

1 Attachment(s)
Hope it's gone to a good home. Looked a lovely car and I was very tempted.

I owe you some thanks actually Keith.

When I asked how much you wanted and you didn't really say but said it had cost you £2100 in all. I thought that's what you wanted and compared it with what else I could get about that price and I kept thinking he's selling it to get a V70 with the D5 engine that I really like. So of course I looked at V70 D5's and ended up with this V70 D5SE Auto with 142,000 on it for £2700. Has another 500 miles on it already.