Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's the problem with electric cars? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330305)

Jimarilo Jan 20th, 2023 12:52

What's the problem with electric cars?

#electriccars #2030 #netzero

Richard Vobes
67.2K subscribers

8,470 views Jan 20, 2023
I talk to Geoff from Geoff Buys Cars about the future of electric cars and the national plan to force everyone into them by 2030.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzPKGBJ3Ing

4x4 Jan 20th, 2023 13:31

An interesting comparison here Volvo C40 EV

Mint Cake Jan 20th, 2023 13:51

For me its as simple as reliability.

Can I reliably charge my leccy car in my locale - no.**

Can I rely on it not to go "bang" (or have a major component go bang) when its out of warranty, leaving me with a repair that is more than the value of the car - no.

In a few years time, it'll be a different kettle of fish.

** I live rurally. A different matter if you live cheek by jowel with others.

hicky70 Jan 20th, 2023 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimarilo (Post 2873509)
#electriccars #2030 #netzero

Richard Vobes
67.2K subscribers

8,470 views Jan 20, 2023
I talk to Geoff from Geoff Buys Cars about the future of electric cars and the national plan to force everyone into them by 2030.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzPKGBJ3Ing

There was a program on EV's on I think BBC1 last night, essentially, don't bother.
One woman interviewed bought a small EV a few years ago. Per KV her cost went up by a factor of x3...WTF!
That's IF you can pack it close enough at home to charge it!

Ulrikas PA Jan 20th, 2023 14:54

Buy a hybrid for the time being is an alternative to being caught out trying to charge.

It's a compromise as most things are in life, but it works for many.

Jimarilo Jan 20th, 2023 16:32

except a hybrid defeats to object ........by using more fuel per mile, not to mention the up front costs of buying such an effort and maintenance. More to go wrong imo

There is nothing as yet, that can replace fossil fuels as a means of energy ....fact !!

It is impossible to get to netzero and if we did, everything on earth would die....fact !!

John97Tdi Jan 20th, 2023 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimarilo (Post 2873560)
except a hybrid defeats to object ........by using more fuel per mile, not to mention the up front costs of buying such an effort and maintenance. More to go wrong imo

There is nothing as yet, that can replace fossil fuels as a means of energy ....fact !!

It is impossible to get to netzero and if we did, everything on earth would die....fact !!

Curious use of the word 'fact' - prior to human industrialization there weren't any events in the archaeological record of mass die offs due to lack of CO2. And
lots of things could replace fossil fuels - the reason we don't use them basically comes down to the cost of changeover and the resistance by fossil fuel producers to protect their vested interests.

SnineT Jan 20th, 2023 18:16

Walks in...looks around...walks out :sport009:

Tannaton Jan 20th, 2023 18:25

Firstly, there is no Government drive to force us all into electric cars by 2030 - that's BS.

The current plan is to ban the sale of ICE only car in 2030. There is currently no plan to criminalise the use of petrol/diesel cars - ever.

I too don't like electric cars - but that's because of their lack of maturity and infrastructure - not because they're not any good. If we had been driving around in electric cars for the past 100 years and someone invented a diesel - no one would bother.

Hybrids are the short term future for performance cars - they do work very well. Smaller more efficient engine for everyday commuting, no need for a larger less efficient engine when you need that extra ooomph. And many can run on EV only, though with limited range. Maybe more to go wrong - but you have a backup propulsion system to get you home......

Tannaton Jan 20th, 2023 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2873587)
Walks in...looks around...walks out :sport009:

I thought he was you using a different username !! :-)

Moomoo Jan 20th, 2023 18:28

Hybrid, switch to electric in urban areas, diesel elsewhere, makes sense ATM , 100% electric not flexible enough, again, ATM.
Too much hype/ crap being talked by people who really don’t have a handle on the truth about the subject, just bandwagon PR.

Could be wrong, of course!🧐

SnineT Jan 20th, 2023 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2873592)
I thought he was you using a different username !! :-)

Na not me, Admin will confirm that for you and thanks for your kind words of advise last year, I think you're a top fella along with a few of the others I regularly interact with, and with a lot of the casual interactions I have with others, I'm winding down now anyway and even if they open the Lounge back up to me which I'd rather they didn't I'm not going back to it. Cheers mate :music-smiley-005:

The Thong Jan 20th, 2023 19:23

I had a Subaru XV hybrid today and I’ve had Volvo hybrids in the past. I like them, they got the economy, acceleration when needed and the smooth drive they deliver. Full fat lectric cars are still work in progress and the infrastructure still has a long way to go before I’ll consider one.
My brother has a Kia Optima which is always running on is batteries. His wife works six miles from home and she has an allocated charger at work so it’s free charging. Given the circumstances and a hybrid makes complete sense.

TT

Existential Crisis Jan 21st, 2023 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mint Cake (Post 2873522)
For me its as simple as reliability.

Can I reliably charge my leccy car in my locale - no.**

Can I rely on it not to go "bang" (or have a major component go bang) when its out of warranty, leaving me with a repair that is more than the value of the car - no.

In a few years time, it'll be a different kettle of fish.

** I live rurally. A different matter if you live cheek by jowel with others.

Your second point re reliability is no different than any car, I'd actually argue there is significantly less chance of something going wrong in a vehicle with so much less moving parts.

Fastpatsilents Jan 21st, 2023 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by hicky70 (Post 2873529)
There was a program on EV's on I think BBC1 last night, essentially, don't bother.
One woman interviewed bought a small EV a few years ago. Per KV her cost went up by a factor of x3...WTF!
That's IF you can pack it close enough at home to charge it!

I've always found a survey sample of one to be very useful in proving a point I wish to make!

Fastpatsilents Jan 21st, 2023 10:27

What was Top Gear that became Fifth Gear has now metamorphised into Fifth Gear Recharged on Quest / Discovery Channel (channel 12 on Freeview).

Its worth watching as you get to see petrolheads like Vicki Butler Henderson and Jason Plato get their prejudices challenged by the performance of EVs and some of the emerging technology that we will see in the next couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2bvDrUQ0Ow

S60D5-185 Jan 21st, 2023 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2873597)
even if they open the Lounge back up to me which I'd rather they didn't I'm not going back to it. Cheers mate :music-smiley-005:

Not often I bother posting in there so you're honestly not missing much SnineT.

Personally, at times I find it rather Toxic now...............

Opinions eh? 😉

Re Electric cars, the performance is beyond question but as many others have said, currently 😁, the infrastructure is woeful for the amount on the roads now, so that is going to be a massive task in itself prior to 2030 with no easy answers.

Cull06 Jan 21st, 2023 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2873591)

Hybrids are the short term future for performance cars -

Until they tell you you need a new ERAD… 😬

It’s a shame diesel became a dirty word - especially since Euro VI came along.

Look at the BMW 3 litre twin turbo. A masterpiece of a powerplant. (Issues traffic police had with it in single turbo aside)

Ulrikas PA Jan 21st, 2023 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2873757)

It’s a shame diesel became a dirty word - especially since Euro VI came along.

)

It is a shame, but diesel hybrids do exist.:speechless-smiley-5

DaveNP Jan 21st, 2023 15:59

One of the problems I find with electric cars is being able to cut through all of the talk on my the internet to get to the facts and reasoned debate. I watched about half of the linked video and gave up after another assertion without evidence, and even if I accept that there were Tesla’s waiting 15 hours to charge at a services, it wasn’t too long ago that ICE drivers were allegedly following a cement tanker from Birmingham to Kettering in their desperation to get fuel. No car can be the optimal solution for all users, but a shortcoming in one particular situation doesn’t mean it’s totally useless elsewhere.

Wagon Sailor Jan 21st, 2023 18:44

I'm a confirmed petrol head. I like the sound of a tuned engine, its intake noise and its balanced exhaust. I prefer normally aspirated engines and enjoy variable valve timing. There is no Tesla that I would rather have than any of the vtec Hondas I've owned. (Except maybe the Semi Truck.)

One day, though, this will change. A petrol or diesel alternative, along with the necessary infrastructure, will be ready for me just as I am ready for it.

The Thong Jan 21st, 2023 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNP (Post 2873764)
One of the problems I find with electric cars is being able to cut through all of the talk on my the internet to get to the facts and reasoned debate. I watched about half of the linked video and gave up after another assertion without evidence, and even if I accept that there were Tesla’s waiting 15 hours to charge at a services, it wasn’t too long ago that ICE drivers were allegedly following a cement tanker from Birmingham to Kettering in their desperation to get fuel. No car can be the optimal solution for all users, but a shortcoming in one particular situation doesn’t mean it’s totally useless elsewhere.

It happened to a veg oil tanker too….. We seem to be very good at pushing these ideas without keeping up with the infrastructure needs. It sounds good in the media as all these lectric cars are being sold and we use it to wave our green credentials but we don’t mention the negative sides of it readily. I see it all the time in the Ophthalmic industry. Best thing since sliced bread but it takes a few years to iron out the wrinkles. Our Government have become obsessed with it while country starve.
For me, it’s what the future cost of it is. How are we going to be taxed? How recyclable are these batteries? Is it a future fly tipping issue and environmental pollution problem. I’m sure that batteries will become more efficient as the tech develops but what’s the repair and replacement costs gunna be like? More info required

TT

SnineT Jan 21st, 2023 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2873753)
Not often I bother posting in there so you're honestly not missing much SnineT.

Personally, at times I find it rather Toxic now...............

Opinions eh? 😉

Re Electric cars, the performance is beyond question but as many others have said, currently 😁, the infrastructure is woeful for the amount on the roads now, so that is going to be a massive task in itself prior to 2030 with no easy answers.

I'm missing the word association and Jokes of the day threads though :nerd::traurig001:

Clan Jan 21st, 2023 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimarilo (Post 2873560)

a hybrid volvo will be noticeably more economical than the diesel engine only version..

Ulrikas PA Jan 22nd, 2023 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2873843)
a hybrid volvo will be noticeably more economical than the diesel engine only version..

Yes. 72mpg average over the last year for me, compared with probably 45mpg for a D5 with Polestar upgrade and no battery. Not bad for a heavy estate with on demand AWD?

DaveNP Jan 22nd, 2023 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA (Post 2873926)
Yes. 72mpg average over the last year for me, compared with probably 45mpg for a D5 with Polestar upgrade and no battery. Not bad for a heavy estate with on demand AWD?

Is that with or without additional electric charging? and any idea how much if it's with?

I'm not 'challenging' your mpg, actually interested in how the sums work out on a hybrid.

Existential Crisis Jan 22nd, 2023 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor (Post 2873791)
I'm a confirmed petrol head. I like the sound of a tuned engine, its intake noise and its balanced exhaust. I prefer normally aspirated engines and enjoy variable valve timing. There is no Tesla that I would rather have than any of the vtec Hondas I've owned. (Except maybe the Semi Truck.)

One day, though, this will change. A petrol or diesel alternative, along with the necessary infrastructure, will be ready for me just as I am ready for it.

For my daily commute I'd love an electric car that would be heated or cooled to perfection on my entry and could waft me with minimum input from me to my destination. Sounds serene

Clan Jan 22nd, 2023 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNP (Post 2873936)
Is that with or without additional electric charging? and any idea how much if it's with?

I'm not 'challenging' your mpg, actually interested in how the sums work out on a hybrid.

Kevin McCloud had a D6 when they came out, he was getting over 120 mpg as it suited his journeys perfectly .

Ulrikas PA Jan 22nd, 2023 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNP (Post 2873936)

The V60 is a plug in rather than a self charger, so my average has included overnight charging at home, and using the 20-25m range that gives me. The trip computer works it out, and I'm sure you could debate the mpg accuracy versus the actual, just like you could with a regular diesel or petrol.

What I can say (like Clan cited) is that it you do lots of trips in the (say) 5-40 mile range, you end up with a massive range extender.

My previous Audi diesel had a big tank and would do 650-700 miles. The V60 has a small tank but I did one ridiculous tank full at over 130mpg (brim to brim) over a few weeks when I wasn't working but doing lots of short trips, building up a big mileage.

Existential Crisis Jan 22nd, 2023 19:08

One of my colleagues has a plug in hybrid Kia and only puts fuel in it when he goes away longer journeys it sits with a full tank of fuel from week to week as his commute is about 16 Mike's total 5 days a week.

SnineT Jan 22nd, 2023 19:52

Sorry peeps gonna have to sober you up party is over so to speak.

Before you click the link below I'd like to say I take no pleasure in posting this but if you are the sort of person who can still listen please have a read and consider what I am going to add to the link or links as it may be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...2-injured.html

Scroll down to the remains of the BMW and then consider that an EV or even a hybrid with a cell pack in them would not have gone boom literally before you'd have a chance to get out, two lithium cells once compromised fuse and explode almost instantly, sadly this has resulted in 2 deaths and multiple injuries and there's no mention of an EV in the crash and I can only add to that that I hope the injured make full recoveries and my condolences to those that lost someone today.

Below is what happens when lithy cells simply short by touching each other or gain a connection between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-a405s1eio&t=124s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwgdpysXUkA

Whole point to the post is today it was a gas engine but imagine a pile up where every car is fitted with lithium cells.

The Thong Jan 22nd, 2023 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2874035)

Before you click the link below I'd like to say I take no pleasure in posting this but if you are the sort of person who can still listen please have a read and consider what I am going to add to the link or links as it may be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...2-injured.html

Scroll down to the remains of the BMW and then consider that an EV or even a hybrid with a cell pack in them would not have gone boom literally before you'd have a chance to get out, two lithium cells once compromised fuse and explode almost instantly, sadly this has resulted in 2 deaths and multiple injuries and there's no mention of an EV in the crash and I can only add to that that I hope the injured make full recoveries and my condolences to those that lost someone today.

Below is what happens when lithy cells simply short by touching each other or gain a connection between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-a405s1eio&t=124s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwgdpysXUkA

Whole point to the post is today it was a gas engine but imagine a pile up where every car is fitted with lithium cells.

Indeed, before long though they’ll be everywhere unfortunately. I saw the warnings about the M40 being closed when I got in the M5 at Walsa today

TT

SnineT Jan 22nd, 2023 22:41

This one might bring it home to anyone thinking this is a good idea, it's foreign but dub'd, skip to 6.45 for the first real example, then go to 8.35 where the extinguisher fails and on to the main event at 10.00 onwards and I'd recommend at least the next 5 minutes footage to see how it dies off and then comes back to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbYh8UkbRI

A Tesla probably has 10-15 of those packs in it.

Intense.

Cull06 Jan 22nd, 2023 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2874035)

L

All passenger vehicles, including electric vehicles, are put through intensive NCAP testing, including smashing them pretty much into oblivion.

A quick google of electric cars in crashes shows a multitude of them being totalled without bursting into flames as you claim.

Electric vehicles obviously do present their own unique risks of course. However one might suggest there is a fair bit of scaremongering going on here.

I’m also surprised that you shared an article about people sadly being killed in a car crash not involving electric vehicles - as evidence of the dangers of electric vehicles (?).

SnineT Jan 22nd, 2023 23:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmqMtPgST4&t=2s

I shared it because atm the majority of cars are still gas powered and if one of them ends up like this then imagine what an EV is going to go up like, I don't share your faith in the marketing and another vid I don't have to hand showed the disassembly of a Ford eMustang battery pack and the engineer found that the battery crate was weak.

These things aren't new to me as I'm a long time vaper and I've seen the stories of people losing fingers and half their face from just one cell going thermal normally in unregulated devices that don't have the safety stuff in them, some people swap the safety for the power angle of these things.

SnineT Jan 22nd, 2023 23:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbHpqWjMVE&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zkLNp8HOCU&t=2s

baggy798 Jan 22nd, 2023 23:55

We all need to do our bit to support climate change.😂

https://i.postimg.cc/W1WDBQHx/323358...74915437-n.jpg

Cull06 Jan 23rd, 2023 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2874075)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmqMtPgST4&t=2s

I shared it because atm the majority of cars are still gas powered and if one of them ends up like this then imagine what an EV is going to go up like, I don't share your faith in the marketing and another vid I don't have to hand showed the disassembly of a Ford eMustang battery pack and the engineer found that the battery crate was weak.

These things aren't new to me as I'm a long time vaper and I've seen the stories of people losing fingers and half their face from just one cell going thermal normally in unregulated devices that don't have the safety stuff in them, some people swap the safety for the power angle of these things.

You know that cars with traditional fuel engines can certainly go up in flames following a crash too right? Scarily fast too if you’ve ever seen it for yourself.

“I don't share your faith in the marketing” - Nor me. Marketing is just that. But I’m not sure what marketing you are referring to? Unless you are referring to the Euro NCAP crash testing I mentioned as marketing(?).

SnineT Jan 23rd, 2023 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2874085)
You know that cars with traditional fuel engines can certainly go up in flames following a crash too right? Scarily fast too if you’ve ever seen it for yourself.

“I don't share your faith in the marketing” - Nor me. Marketing is just that. But I’m not sure what marketing you are referring to? Unless you are referring to the Euro NCAP crash testing I mentioned as marketing(?).

Yes and that's the point I'm trying to make, a petrol car is almost as bad in that it also has a flash point, a diesel requires vaporised compression to light up so once again proving to be the most frugal, torqued, "safe" fuel available.

NCAP sadly is about as far as a simulation can go and more about saving the occupants legs and necks rather than what's left of the car, the shot of the BMW shows that whatever rear ended it would've easily compromised a battery sledge either in the boot, through the tunnel or the whole floor. And before you respond please show me the NCAP for multiple vehicles at 70mph in fog or heavy rain.

Remember the people who are pushing the EV agenda outside of the car makers aren't of an engineering background, they will just grab onto the next new thing and say sorry later, they forced the car makers down this road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHOevX4DlGk

Existential Crisis Jan 23rd, 2023 08:46

I don't think ev are inherently more dangerous than ICE, and I also don't buy the claim we have all fallen for marketing hype. The most archaic, noisiest, least refined part of any car is its engine. Most of us use our cars for a task, for many that is a commute. The best commuter car I ever owned was a Lexus LS400. Why? Utter, incomparable refinement. An EV can provide this in spades. Can't wait till I can afford a decent one. Minimal maintenance in comparison to ICE, warm in the mornings, serene in use, no need to use smelly, germ covered petrol or diesel pumps. Sounds like a great solution for my needs anyway, no marketing hype involved.