Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Volvo: The Game (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73149)

GMcL May 26th, 2009 09:17

Volvo: The Game

Apparently SimBin have been working with Volvo to create a simulator of the new S60. Should be available today (Tuesday 26.5.09) from the Volvo website but I've yet to see it.

Here is a link to the SimBin website. Hopefully something to paste back later today.

Hathaway May 26th, 2009 10:02

It is now available for download here: http://www.volvocars.com/intl/All-Ca...60concept.aspx :thumbs_up:

Jim760 May 26th, 2009 13:17

damn, waited for it to download, and upon trying to install it says source file corrupt!! re-downloaded and it still says the same!! must hate windows XP 64.

Volvophile May 26th, 2009 13:27

Yeah, I downloaded it just there and it says 'Video Device Error, application will close.'

And I was really looking forward to playing it......

GMcL May 26th, 2009 13:27

Oh ! I'm waiting 'til I get home and will put it on my PC but notice there is only limited support for Vista. If you're having probs with XP 64 then not looking good for Vista 64.

They must be using Microsoft software testing methodology. Let the users bugfix...

Jim760 May 26th, 2009 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcL (Post 509680)
Oh ! I'm waiting 'til I get home and will put it on my PC but notice there is only limited support for Vista. If you're having probs with XP 64 then not looking good for Vista 64.

am sure i read somewhere that Simbin are known for the compatability and relyabity.. HAH good luck when you get home, if you get it workin im popin over for tea and volvo hammerin :thumbs_up:

GMcL May 26th, 2009 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvophile (Post 509679)
Yeah, I downloaded it just there and it says 'Video Device Error, application will close.'

SimBin do state Minimum Requirement 3D Accelerator:
DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 128 MB memory
Recommended is 3D Accelerator:
DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 512 MB memory

Volvophile May 26th, 2009 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcL (Post 509695)
SimBin do state Minimum Requirement 3D Accelerator:
DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 128 MB memory
Recommended is 3D Accelerator:
DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 512 MB memory

No such thing as a free lunch, eh?

S60-MBS May 26th, 2009 19:42

Excellent game ,I am already addicted to driving the new S60 Concept :)

the alarming man May 26th, 2009 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvophile (Post 509844)
No such thing as a free lunch, eh?

or a free game..cant get it too work either....vista is crap:thumbs_up:

S40_Paul May 26th, 2009 23:49

Luckily mine worked from the word go,it is rather good fun. The graphics are pretty good,love the cockpit view,workinsteering wheel,gear shifting, gear shift lights. It will be hard to master, in the options you have the option of having a clutch if you have 3 way pedal compliant steering wheel,ive never known a racing game have that!

Worth every penny...ironically free,hope they add more content.

Ralph_Khoury May 27th, 2009 06:12

Runtime error (at 23:1689):
The source file is corrupted

i got this error message as i tried to install the game! :(
please help as i am eager to race with my Logitech G25 wheel :(:( and break some lap records :( :(

wpg100 May 27th, 2009 07:19

Downloading it now. Lets hope my laptop can handle it! Any idea what the other 5 cars are that you can drive on it?

GMcL May 27th, 2009 08:18

Didn't get near my PC last night, will do it tonight and report back if it will/will not work on Vista 64. Sounds like a great game from those who have managed to get it working.

1stRaven May 27th, 2009 10:54

I got this downloaded and working last night.

Couple of answers to your questions.

Vista 64bit - Works fine as that is what I am running but is a little Ram hungrey so make sure you have at least 2gb in that.

Graphics - Surprising for a free game but the graphics of the cars are quite decent so if you are going to turn things up in the visual department, make sure you have a decent card. I am running a 4870 512 and I can run it on full at 1600x1280 for reference.

Sound - Supports 5.1 surround which works well in a race.

Cars - From memory, it has the s60 concept in standard and race form, the 850 BTCC car, the C30 in race form, S40 in race form, the current s60 in race form and the old style 240 Group A Touring car which is the most powerful funny enough. (I may of missed one or two though)

If you are getting the source file is corrupt, trying clearing out your internet cache, restart your browser and save the file to a different location and file name. Should sort out your problem. If you are still having issues, I may see if I can upload the file to my site and allow you to download it from there (limited numbers due to bandwidth though)

SteveP May 27th, 2009 14:50

I had a go at this yesterday on my girlfriend's Dad's PC running Vista 64bit.

Graphics aren't bad atall for what's a free game, and the sounds are alright too. Drove the 240 touring car without the driving aids and it's a little twitchy. Even get a 5 pot burble from the 850!

Only thing I did notice is that the specs are wrong for the cars. Eg. the 850 is down as being an I4 and weighing 950kg, whereas the 242 Turbo is down as being an I5 weighing 1065kg (or something like that).

GMcL May 27th, 2009 16:28

Downloaded and installed no problem though the shortcut it says it will install doesn't appear on the desktop.

Graphics are very good (I ran mine maxed as described above on an HD3650) and 5.1 surround is great too.

When loaded the game takes about 110MB RAM on Vista 64 total RAM at time of loading was 1.82Gb

I've now got a very second hand looking S60 Concept car after a quick lap around the circuit. Need to get a wheel though, keyboard control is not the easiest.

John_C May 27th, 2009 17:39

Graphics are OK, wouldn't say they're exactly state of the art ;)

The driving model seems very good though, I've only driven the 850 and S60 so far (look, I'm biased, went straight for the Volvos I've owned :D ) and you actually have to drive them like a FWD car - very unusual.

Runs fine under Win 7 RC 32 bit BTW.

Cheers,
John

AcidicDavey May 27th, 2009 19:10

this game worked well for me on my completely standard Vista laptop!

and btw to people who cant get it to work it's awesome! especially the 850!

S40_Paul May 27th, 2009 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_C (Post 510266)
Graphics are OK, wouldn't say they're exactly state of the art ;)

The driving model seems very good though, I've only driven the 850 and S60 so far (look, I'm biased, went straight for the Volvos I've owned :D ) and you actually have to drive them like a FWD car - very unusual.

Runs fine under Win 7 RC 32 bit BTW.

Cheers,
John

A game doesnt always have to be state of the art to work though, sometimes it's the simple playability of it's audience/market that make a game.

the alarming man May 27th, 2009 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidicDavey (Post 510304)
this game worked well for me on my completely standard Vista laptop!

and btw to people who cant get it to work it's awesome! especially the 850!

go on mate you rub it...lol...still cant get it too work....i have given up lol:thumbs_up:

GMcL May 28th, 2009 07:58

Do you have Vista SP1 installed ?
My machine came with it pre-installed and I have never had any of the problems people have reported regarding Vista not working.
When I bought the machine, last year, I was in two minds whether to run Vista or remove it and install XP. Only issue with Vista is when it goes off and does its indexing thing which hammers the hard drive for an hour or so every now and again.

huskydo May 28th, 2009 18:40

Good fun for a free game :)

available cars are

s60 Concept race car
s60 Concept
s40
c30
s60

works on xp with 256 graphics no problems.

Robbijay May 28th, 2009 22:24

What machines are you guys running it on? I'm using an athlon 3000 with 128MB graphics and 1.5GB ram and its completely useless. I've got a new laptop but dubt the graphics would be good enough.

1stRaven May 28th, 2009 22:34

http://www.ryanniblett.co.uk/images/.../IMAGE_112.jpg

intel E8400 (core duo), 4Gb ram, Vista 64bit, ATi 4870 graphics and raid 0 disc array. The recommended specs are quite high but honest I think.

Robbijay May 28th, 2009 22:36

yeah i saw the specs, but chose to ignore them! really can't be bothered with building myself a new machine after putting up with numbnuts users at work and building machines for the rest of the family!

the alarming man May 28th, 2009 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcL (Post 510482)
Do you have Vista SP1 installed ?
My machine came with it pre-installed and I have never had any of the problems people have reported regarding Vista not working.
When I bought the machine, last year, I was in two minds whether to run Vista or remove it and install XP. Only issue with Vista is when it goes off and does its indexing thing which hammers the hard drive for an hour or so every now and again.

Only problem is if your machine breaks and you have installed x.p on too it,that will invalidate the warranty:thumbs_up:

GMcL May 29th, 2009 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbijay1 (Post 510863)
What machines are you guys running it on? I'm using an athlon 3000 with 128MB graphics and 1.5GB ram and its completely useless. I've got a new laptop but dubt the graphics would be good enough.

I'm running on an HP Pavilion.
Kentsfield chipset Q6600
ATi Radeon HD3650 graphic card
8Gb RAM
Vista SP1 64bit

S40_Paul May 29th, 2009 11:03

I only got a 1.8 Amd, 2 Gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 328 Graphics card on a 27" monitor on XP with SP3 and it work's fine.

ex Triumph Man Jun 22nd, 2009 21:40

New S60 video

Sorry to sound as though I am boasting. But I have just downloaded it no probs, but using Vista. The car looks absolutely STUNNING!!!!!

Jim760 Jun 23rd, 2009 18:45

i am using a athlon 64 ultra 6000 dual core (6ghz total) 3gig ram and nvidia 9500gt.. i am using xp 64 bit edition. it runs GTA 4 no bother soso should run this.. just it wont install as it clams the install files is corrupt, regarless of times downloaded!

AndyPants Jun 23rd, 2009 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim760 (Post 521933)
i am using a athlon 64 ultra 6000 dual core (6ghz total) 3gig ram and nvidia 9500gt.. i am using xp 64 bit edition. it runs GTA 4 no bother soso should run this.. just it wont install as it clams the install files is corrupt, regarless of times downloaded!

Is your virus scanner up to date etc? Years and years ago I got weird problems like that and it was a crappy Windows 95 virus.

Jim760 Jun 25th, 2009 21:26

i got it to work!! turns out it is indeed xp64 that was being a bish, corrected that with a combo of every single update for it and runing compatability lol

to the game..... its good! no support for my 3 week old plasystation style controler.. sucks to play with keyboard.. sofar impressions arnt good but if i figure the controller thing out things should improve!!

Chris740R Jun 26th, 2009 12:06

Yeah you really need something better than a keyboard to use it. Steering is pretty much impossible otherwise.

Have you tried clicking on 'custom' in the controls menu? Then you can just click on accelerate, and push x or whatever on you're playstation controller till it registers it and stores it.

ahal Jun 29th, 2009 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris740R (Post 523086)
Yeah you really need something better than a keyboard to use it. Steering is pretty much impossible otherwise.

Imagine what fun I'm having with my Commodore keyboard lol! It weighs about 5 kg., and is adapted via RS232 to PS2 connector to make it work with my machine! Talk about brake fade ... no, bloody key fade ...

grainqey Jul 10th, 2009 20:18

lmao at that reply!
i still cant get the game to play on my comp with 1.2gb of ram - repeatedly just says video graphics error or whatever it is even though im running a later graphics driver or whatever it is on the config page for intel 8649g whatever it is

ahal Jul 11th, 2009 00:34

I'd say the graphics card is where it's at ... my machine is no hot rod ( as you no doubt gathered! ) but the one semi - decent thing I got for it was an NVIDIA ( or PNY to be exact ) 9600 AGP graphics card. It's a relatively lowly 256 mb., but makes a hell of a difference to everything: takes a lot of strain off the system.

Regards,

Tony

volvogirl87 Jul 13th, 2009 22:27

how long exactly does this take to download? Mine has 17 hours to go... it better bloomin work!

ahal Jul 13th, 2009 23:13

Yikes, that IS tragic! I think it took me an hour max with our not terribly fast 'fast' broadband over here in Ireland. I think you might want to turn off other processes while downloading, and if using dial - up, get someone with Broadband to download it + burn it to disc. 17 hrs. seems extreme mind you, even with dial - up.

Assume you're using XP? Come to think of it, in W2k I'm sure I've seen "3 days 12 hours and 25 minutes" ... but then after an hour it changes it's mind to something more reasonable!

Regards,

Tony

volvogirl87 Jul 14th, 2009 00:08

I have 10 hours remaining, im on wireless so that might be it, its up to 16 hours now. Im on XP with 4gb memory and a quadcore processor.