Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   D5 200hp exec...... you guys are in for a treat. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111171)

262coupe Dec 8th, 2010 21:07

D5 200hp exec...... you guys are in for a treat.

It's true.... picked up mine this afternoon and despite coming from a V8 se lux I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I'm running it in very carefully but even so it feels MUCH more gutsy than the 185s I test-drove. This seems odd as previously discussed on here it is after all only a small difference but maybe there has been a full re-map or something. All I can tell you is so far the signs are good. Pics to follow tomorrow as soon as I get some daylight!

Rentagas Dec 8th, 2010 22:40

Sounds promising.............:)

Clan Dec 8th, 2010 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 262coupe (Post 793990)
It's true.... picked up mine this afternoon and despite coming from a V8 se lux I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I'm running it in very carefully but even so it feels MUCH more gutsy than the 185s I test-drove. This seems odd as previously discussed on here it is after all only a small difference but maybe there has been a full re-map or something. All I can tell you is so far the signs are good. Pics to follow tomorrow as soon as I get some daylight!

Thats good , maybe they have mapped it to be like the D3 which is also a great engine in the S60 . pulls away from rest very sharply .. And you will find over the next 10-20000 miles the engine gets stronger and stronger .. Volvo cars never seem to go as well when they are brand new :-)

drpepper Dec 8th, 2010 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 262coupe (Post 793990)

Excellent news! Get a peak at mine in dealers on Friday then collect a week tomorrow after extras fitted and I'm back from a business trip, looking forward to it even more now :-)

Lycanthrope Dec 9th, 2010 06:43

I don't have a date yet for mine, probably end of February. Sounds good though, cheers!

Have you got the massage seats then, are they good or just a gimmik?

262coupe Dec 9th, 2010 08:19

Yes I have massage seats. I guess they are a gimmick in the sense that they do seem totally over the top. However, they seem to really work, esp in the stronger setting of the two options, and I can see myself becoming just as hooked on them as I have on heated seats.

Lycanthrope Dec 9th, 2010 08:52

And as I understand it there are fans in the seats too that will blow cool air ro keep one's bum cool in winter...?

262coupe Dec 9th, 2010 09:24

Yep! is there no end to this ??? Actually though it's great isnt it cos to have a spec list like this car has in an x5 or something you would be looking the wrong side of 55k!

drpepper Dec 9th, 2010 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 262coupe (Post 794250)
Yep! is there no end to this ??? Actually though it's great isnt it cos to have a spec list like this car has in an x5 or something you would be looking the wrong side of 55k!

Same with the Discovery 4 hence why I'am buying what I'm buying, performance was the concern but having found the figures I can live with the 0.1 second slower 0-100KPH time, 420NM v's 600NM with the weight difference shouldn't be too bad either and it has a much higher top end.

Anyway Q for you to clear up - nothing in brochures but I believe exec has heated rear seats (here's hoping or my kids will be unimpressed as the D3 has them!).

James.

artwilliam Dec 9th, 2010 13:08

pics please :)!

262coupe Dec 9th, 2010 14:00

3 Attachment(s)
pics as requested.....

drpepper Dec 9th, 2010 14:13

ooh black and sidesteps just like mine will be :-)

.......heated rear seats?

catbert Dec 9th, 2010 14:59

Your tail pipe looks different to my 185 which is a twin pipe. I wonder did they get some fo the extra horses from a modified exhaust system?

bobdabuilda Dec 9th, 2010 16:30

I didn't know you could fit side steps to an exec or is that just the r design which prevents it? Nice looking beastie though!

chrisrixy Dec 9th, 2010 16:44

Sounds and looks good. So the specification sheet that shows 0-60 in 9.7secs for the 200PS, versus 11.1secs for the 185 auto is correct. Now we need a comparison between the new 200PS and a Polestar uprated 185PS if anyone gets to drive both.

262coupe - did you get a good deal from Kings (Winchester)? I picked up my 185PS manual SE from them in mid Oct - very helpful sales team got me one of the last factory order manuals and a very good deal on the price (matched Drive the Deal - which is just as well as I live 600 miles away).

Now covered 2600 miles are very pleased with it - especially in the snow!

MrLiveSounds Dec 9th, 2010 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpepper (Post 794415)
ooh black and sidesteps just like mine will be :-)

.......heated rear seats?

The Exec has heated rear seats, but just the middle row outer ones, controlled by switches on the back of the centre console.

262coupe Dec 9th, 2010 17:26

Hi guys,

Yes heated rear seats.... didn't realise I was getting those but they are great and have been well received by my daughters. The tail pipe is an interesting one. I'm sure it sounds different to the 185.... slightly softer knock and so perhaps the exhaust is different. I was a bit disappointed to not have a spare wheel, is it right this is the case with all execs? I thought you could only not have a spare with the quad exhaust?

Didnt buy this one from kings mate.

MrLiveSounds Dec 9th, 2010 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 262coupe (Post 794519)
Hi guys,

Yes heated rear seats.... didn't realise I was getting those but they are great and have been well received by my daughters. The tail pipe is an interesting one. I'm sure it sounds different to the 185.... slightly softer knock and so perhaps the exhaust is different. I was a bit disappointed to not have a spare wheel, is it right this is the case with all execs? I thought you could only not have a spare with the quad exhaust?

I think the space-saver spare wheel is a no-cost option. I believe you have to specify the Tempa Spare when ordering.

Lycanthrope Dec 9th, 2010 18:08

Are the roof bars standard on Exec? I'm a bit worried as I didn't specify them thinking the car comes with...

MrLiveSounds Dec 9th, 2010 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lycanthrope (Post 794555)
Are the roof bars standard on Exec? I'm a bit worried as I didn't specify them thinking the car comes with...

The ones that run the length of the car are standard (at least here in the UK). The bars that run the width of the car to mount a roof box etc on are extra.

chrisrixy Dec 9th, 2010 18:20

Quote:

Hi guys,

Apologies - just assumed it was from your local dealer...don't know why when mine wasn't.

Apart from the R-design it looks from the brochure that the only exclusion from having the factory order tempa spare wheel is listed as 'Electric Glass Tilt and Slide Sunroof cannot be combined with Tempa Spare Wheel on D5 Executive Geartronic' - although I have no idea why.
There was a thread on the forum not so long ago for someone looking for a tempa spare & jack etc to add to their exec. The tube of goo is not so great.

zeblon Dec 9th, 2010 18:37

262 coupe - car looks fantastic. My black exec should be ready for colloection next week. Its good to hear there are rear heated seats. I did alot of reading before I ordered and I have not come accross this before.

I am also please to hear the extra BHP makes it feel quicker. My bmw is 300bhp so I am used to good power.

I would agree with you that this spec at this price is good value for money.

The space saver is a no cost option and should be specifed when ordering. Otherwise you get a compressor in the boot. I was advised by my dealer to go for the tempa spare.

moncman Dec 9th, 2010 19:26

PANTS!

Just been told by my dealer that the car is in the UK but there is a backlog at the docks due to the weather. Looks like a 3 day delay which puts handover back to next Sat.

Lycanthrope Dec 9th, 2010 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLiveSounds (Post 794558)
The ones that run the length of the car are standard (at least here in the UK). The bars that run the width of the car to mount a roof box etc on are extra.

Of course I meant rails, not bars... I'll check with the dealer - also for the spare wheel. Cheers!

moncman Dec 9th, 2010 19:29

Oh by the way.

While you are enjoying your new toy there will be a tsunami of posters who are just dying to ask how the mpg compares with the 185 model so I might as well be first.

How is the MPG?

gdphillips Dec 9th, 2010 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 262coupe (Post 794407)
pics as requested.....

very nice looking forward to getting our one now......:thumbs_up:

drpepper Dec 9th, 2010 19:56

Quote:

Hi guys,

Thanks re rear seat warmers.

Tempa space saver spare wheel is a no cost option that has to be ordered.

262coupe Dec 9th, 2010 20:10

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback. I wish I'd known about the spare though I just assumed I would have the same as the SE-lux V8. Having said that mine does have the sunroof so maybe that wasn't an option for this car anyway if you say there is a conflict between the sunroof and spare?

As to MPG...... so far.... and bear in mind this is after only 130 miles, mixed driving and I am being pretty gentle with it...... 29.8 although it did peak around 31.3 after a motorway run. How does that compare with the 185???

moncman Dec 9th, 2010 21:07

Quite favourably bearing in mind the engine is tight as a drum and the current cold weather will hit consumption. If I can get around 30 straight out of the box I will be happy. I would have thought around 34 on a run once it has losened up should be achievable

zeblon Dec 9th, 2010 22:38

262 coupe - any problems getting insurance? Some of the insurance companies have not got the new 200 bhp model on their systems?

262coupe Dec 9th, 2010 23:29

No mate.... at first direct line said they only had the 185 but on closer look at their lists the 200 was there.... and it was cheaper than my old V8 xc to insure....... by £7 ;-)

drpepper Dec 10th, 2010 00:04

Volvo also do a 7 day free cover which buys a bit of time and allows for reg/taxing by the dealer.

drpepper Dec 10th, 2010 15:51

Well mine has arrived at dealer on time, just been and had a nosey around it and finalised some paperwork, looks very inviting and pretty well put together, you can imagine my surprise on opening it up and looking inside to find the standard 'dark wood' trim instead of the Brushed Ali I ordered!! My surprise was only superseeded by the dealers panic when i pointed it out......spoke to broker and he definately ordered it so down to dealer.

My thinking here is they pulled in whatever they had in build and plan to swap the trim while fitting sidesteps and FPA, however I seem to recall someone else had this issue and it wasn't that simple (will search for the thread).

I've initially told them it's a show stopper, however if they come back and say it can't be changed I may decide to take it for adequate compensation for the **** up, 3 years free servicing sounds about right.......?

artwilliam Dec 10th, 2010 16:02

Man these guys really couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery!

I really don't like the wood so I'd refuse the car if they can't sort it.
Sounds harsh but I just couldn't sit in all that wood - way too Allegro Vanden Plas!

drpepper Dec 10th, 2010 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwilliam (Post 795012)
Man these guys really couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery!

I really don't like the wood so I'd refuse the car if they can't sort it.
Sounds harsh but I just couldn't sit in all that wood - way too Allegro Vanden Plas!

Not sure how they can call it Dark Wood, it looks nothing like wood anyway I guess personal taste and all that, anyway just received a call from broker who's had dealer on phone, admitted their **** up but a none issue as they are going to swap it for the Brushed Ali, won't affect planned collection when I get back from business trip next Thursday so all happy.

I've trawled through the forum to find a thread where another guy had same issue and dealer had said it couldn't be swapped, can't find it though so if you are out there reading this then they are taking the **** as my dealer is doing just that!

Just hoping the other factory options (spare wheel and RSE) are actually on board now, lol

XCF Dec 10th, 2010 16:11

I think the issue is the Exec has wood around the radio (in addition to the cupholder / gear lever / above glove box / rear ash tray which are all easily swappable) and this is what a previous person indicated couldn't be replaced.

Not sure what an Exec has around the radio if wood trim is not specified - presume it's plain black plastic like the rest of the range ?

Is the 3 year servicing offer still on (at £300) - didn't think it was so I can't imagine the dealer offering to provide it as it's worth around £1000. At best you might get one service / or accessory vouchers ( how about Front Park Assist / rear camera ?)

drpepper Dec 10th, 2010 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCF (Post 795021)
I think the issue is the Exec has wood around the radio (in addition to the cupholder / gear lever / above glove box / rear ash tray which are all easily swappable) and this is what a previous person indicated couldn't be replaced.

Not sure what an Exec has around the radio if wood trim is not specified - presume it's plain black plastic like the rest of the range ?

Is the 3 year servicing offer still on (at £300) - didn't think it was so I can't imagine the dealer offering to provide it as it's worth around £1000. At best you might get one service / or accessory vouchers ( how about Front Park Assist / rear camera ?)

They've told me they can sort it so I'm expecting it all to be sorted including the bit around the radio......

Golfather Dec 10th, 2010 21:09

Looks fantastic mate, congratulations!

moncman Dec 13th, 2010 10:14

262 coupe and any other lucky 200hp owners who have taken delivery - did you get out much this weekend and is the car still living up to expectations?

262coupe Dec 14th, 2010 20:47

Hi Moncman, not so much at the weekend but have been on a 80 mile trip today and yes ....as good as ever. Had a full load of 7 people last night and it was fine. I guess if I'm going to be ultra picky the D5 is a bit ...erm ... agricultural but then coming from the silky V8 it was always going to be but in it's favour it seems quite gutsy and pulls strongly even when the gearbox shifts up. Fuel economy today was overall 30.3 which was ok....ish. Still not great as I think the V8 would have given about 27 in the same conditions which is ironic as I'm sure loads of people were scared off of the V8 by fear of fuel consumption.