Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Leather quality (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258737)

Mallony2k Nov 2nd, 2016 12:20

Leather quality

Hi Guys

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum about the quality of the leather in the XC90 but I could be wrong. I have only had my XC90 momentum for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed that the pigments on the driver seat and the passenger seat is starting to wear away. I don't know what other people's thoughts are but I think the quality is poor! The car is a lease vehicle and I am concerned that after 3 years the state of the seats will be horrendous.

Does anyone have any thoughts / products on how to prevent them from wearing away? Could it be a poor quality leather from volvo and that I should be in touch with them about it?

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers

Philip Fisher Nov 2nd, 2016 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallony2k (Post 2189358)
Hi Guys

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum about the quality of the leather in the XC90 but I could be wrong. I have only had my XC90 momentum for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed that the pigments on the driver seat and the passenger seat is starting to wear away. I don't know what other people's thoughts are but I think the quality is poor! The car is a lease vehicle and I am concerned that after 3 years the state of the seats will be horrendous.

Does anyone have any thoughts / products on how to prevent them from wearing away? Could it be a poor quality leather from volvo and that I should be in touch with them about it?

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers

Are you sure that the pigments are wearing away and it is not colour transfer from your clothing? Mine is an Amber leather and after about 10k miles I cleaned the bolster which was looking dirty. It came up good as new. Now at 19.5k miles it probably needs doing again. I have had no issues with wear.

Konst Nov 2nd, 2016 13:02

which color is your interior? I assume your Momentum have stock leather seats, also not nappa leather which might me more fragile.
there is a leather care kit available to Volvo, and even a special one made for light colors like amber or blond.

tankplanker Nov 2nd, 2016 14:27

Most modern leather car seats actually have a thin vinyl coating on the top as this makes it far more hard wearing. The downside is that the leather feels much stiffer and slicker.

I am not sure my nappa seats have that coating as it is very soft and I'm having to clean the side bolster once a month to remove the jean blue it gets coloured with. This is far more than I have had to clean previous cars with ivory and very light grey leather.

I've not see the standard leather, is it really soft or is it stiff?

gaby Nov 2nd, 2016 15:14

Quote:

Hi Guys
Cheers

What type of leather does the car have?

nu11eaf Nov 2nd, 2016 17:21

Quote:

Hi Guys

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers

No need to buy the expensive volvo cleaning kit, I use Astonish leather cleaning cream, It only costs £1 for the home bargain shop, or Yorkshire trading store and other outlets, if you have either near you, it does an excellent job of cleaning and feeding the leather, I have Blond napper leather which require cleaning often and always use this product, make sure you use a white cloth to apply it and buff it off so you dont transfer dye from the cloth to light coloured seats..

neon Nov 2nd, 2016 17:33

Someone mentioned that the Volvo leather kit was the same as the one sold by Ikea at a fraction of the cost.

Lexman8 Nov 2nd, 2016 17:50

This presumably: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/t...-art-10032294/

Haven't used it so can't comment on it's suitability.

neon Nov 2nd, 2016 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2189505)
This presumably: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/t...-art-10032294/

Haven't used it so can't comment on it's suitability.

Have used it in the house and it is good, not tried the car though. 2 parts, first cleaning and then protection.

Mallony2k Nov 2nd, 2016 19:27

Cheers guys for the responses. The leather is the standard perfaracted type for the momentum and is beige colour. On closer inspecting the areas it looks like like scratches which makes me think that the quality is not there.

I have been looking on the detailing world forum and see that the company and product in the link has got really good reviews. http://lttleathercare.com/product/au...ther-care-kit/

I have placed an order and waiting for it to arrive to put some sort of coating on them whilst it is still fresh.

Hopefully this should help!!

familymangreg Nov 2nd, 2016 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallony2k (Post 2189592)
Cheers guys for the responses. The leather is the standard perfaracted type for the momentum and is beige colour. On closer inspecting the areas it looks like like scratches which makes me think that the quality is not there.

I have been looking on the detailing world forum and see that the company and product in the link has got really good reviews. http://lttleathercare.com/product/au...ther-care-kit/

I have placed an order and waiting for it to arrive to put some sort of coating on them whilst it is still fresh.

Hopefully this should help!!

I have the Inscription with nappa leather. It was one of the things I was particularly concerned about when we purchased the car, the leather feels and looks lovely, but it seemed very soft and scratchable. I'd also seen a couple of used XC90's with Blonde leather which were in quite a state, one vehicle was 6 months old and the dealer told me Volvo UK were replacing the seats before the dealer sold it.

We went for the charcoal, and after only 4 months I'm actually very impressed. The leather looks great still and seems a lot more durable than I feared it might be. I even dropped the first row onto a plastic bowl the kids had left on the seat and didn't realise for a week, when I lifted the seat I was pretty gutty by a very obvious ring imprint in the leather... But to my surprise after a few days it seemed to be loosing the imprint and now it has completely gone.

I am using the official Volvo leather care kit. While I appreciate there are many cheaper (and possibly better) creams and cleaners out there, knowing the issues I'd seen, I didn't want Volvo to blame another product I'd used should I have to complain about the leather at all.

I haven't used the cleaner yet, but have conditioned with the cream about 3 - 4 weeks after delivery.

:wq

Konst Nov 3rd, 2016 07:04

I don't find very interesting saving some money buying a non-specific product for leather care. The leather care kit offered by Volvo Switzerland is made by Swisswax which is a well know brand which I trust in.
What puzzle me it is Volvo saying ( last winter issue of their magazine with the leather care kit advertising page) new leather seats don't need to be conditioned for the first 2 years.
In my previous cars with leather interiors I always begin the treatment after a few months, without waiting the first signs of wearing.

taz777 Nov 3rd, 2016 07:14

Your clothing may have metal buttons or zips that are scratching the protective layer on the leather facings. There's also the risk of dye transfer onto lighter-coloured leather.

The best leather cleaners and conditioners that I've used are from LTT and Dr Leather.

neon Nov 3rd, 2016 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konst (Post 2189764)
I don't find very interesting saving some money buying a non-specific product for leather care. The leather care kit offered by Volvo Switzerland is made by Swisswax which is a well know brand which I trust in.
What puzzle me it is Volvo saying ( last winter issue of their magazine with the leather care kit advertising page) new leather seats don't need to be conditioned for the first 2 years.
In my previous cars with leather interiors I always begin the treatment after a few months, without waiting the first signs of wearing.

Personally I think your comment, using a brand you trust in is the key important statement. I have always used good quality leather cleaners but I must admit never one with a car brand on the label that then increases the price by 2 or 3 times or more.

Philip Fisher Nov 3rd, 2016 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2189607)
I even dropped the first row onto a plastic bowl the kids had left on the seat and didn't realise for a week, when I lifted the seat I was pretty gutty by a very obvious ring imprint in the leather... But to my surprise after a few days it seemed to be loosing the imprint and now it has completely gone.

:wq

Hopefully the marks from the Britax booster will come out in time for me then.....

Clan Nov 3rd, 2016 20:26

Quote:

Hi Guys

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers

Yes get in contact with the dealer , there may be a bad batch of leather , it happened some years ago and with Leather steering wheel covering .
You cant prevent it happening as you slide over it when you get in and turn around .

GMTRB5 Nov 4th, 2016 15:31

I use Heaven for Leather as recommended by Auto Express .. does a great job on mine cleaning it and making it feel supple ..

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...en-for-leather

nu11eaf Nov 5th, 2016 12:18

Quote:

Hi Guys

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers

The only concern I have with my XC90 nappa leather seats is where the leather on the front seats base outer edge rubs against the the top edge of the plastic sides where the seat controls are, this marks the leather badly and I think it is only a matter of time before they wear a hole in the leather. I am thinking about putting a piece of soft leather material between the leather and the plastic.

Ninja59 Nov 9th, 2016 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz777 (Post 2189766)
Your clothing may have metal buttons or zips that are scratching the protective layer on the leather facings. There's also the risk of dye transfer onto lighter-coloured leather.

The best leather cleaners and conditioners that I've used are from LTT and Dr Leather.

Let us get one thing straight the leather of most modern cars falls into two categories - Pigmented Coated Leather or Semi Aniline, only RR use Aniline throughout now (Bentley use Aniline for the majority but on less visual touch and feel areas reduce cost for a semi version).

Pigment coated itself has a number of variants including grain corrected leathers etc. (i.e. where the layers of leather are cut so thin there is virtually no grain left and it gets stamped back in.

Either way and importantly though the finishing side is the same in that the hides get tanned with colour and a clearcoat is sprayed on top - the only thing these need is regular cleaning and hydration. (not oils etc in "conditioners")

Regarding semi aninline there is a small degree of more breath ability, but either way conditioners should be avoided as in a majority most of the oils etc. cannot be taken in by the leather.

Regarding testing for leather with water put a small spot on the leather to see if it gets absorbed chances are it won't.

In regards to the leather kit from Volvo it contains a Cleaner and sealant cream not a conditioner.

Furthermore, and sorry to pick on the post quoted but LTT and Dr Leather are very good, but neither sell "conditioners" they actually sell sealants. Both of which protect and rehydrate the clearcoat leather.

Biggest "threat" to coated leather comes from jean dye which can break down the coating over time if left to attack it for to long.

aab203 Nov 9th, 2016 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja59 (Post 2192808)
Let us get one thing straight the leather of most modern cars falls into two categories - Pigmented Coated Leather or Semi Aniline, only RR use Aniline throughout now (Bentley use Aniline for the majority but on less visual touch and feel areas reduce cost for a semi version).

Pigment coated itself has a number of variants itself including grain corrected leathers etc. (i.e. where the layers of leather are cut so thin there is virtually no grain left and it gets stamped back in.

Either way and importantly though the finishing side is the same in that the hides get tanned with colour and a clearcoat is sprayed on top - the only thing these need is regular cleaning and hydration. (not oils etc in "conditioners")

Regarding semi aninline there is a small degree of more breath ability, but either way conditioners should be avoided as in a majority most of the oils etc. cannot be taken in by the leather.

Regarding testing for leather with water put a small spot on the leather to see if it gets absorbed chances are it won't.

In regards to the leather kit from Volvo it contains a Cleaner and sealant cream not a conditioner.

Furthermore, and sorry to pick on the post quoted but LTT and Dr Leather are very good, but neither sell "conditioners" they actually sell sealants. Both of which protect and rehydrate the clearcoat leather.

Biggest "threat" to coated leather comes from jean dye which can break down the coating over time if left to attack it for to long.

Thanks for this info. Which product(s) do you then recommend for cleaning/protecting the XC90 leather?

Ninja59 Nov 9th, 2016 13:24

I personally quite like LTT (Mrs Bass knows her stuff there) and equally so does Darren at Dr Leather.

Regarding cleaning both of the companies mentioned supply good cleaning products - if pushed I prefer Darren's as the wipes are good for "regular" cleaning in being much quicker and simpler to use LTT's is good but a bit more time consuming to use. For more in depth cleaning then either of their products are good, I currently have the Dr Leather bottled cleaner though.

Equally both of their sealants are good, LTT is probably more cost effective though, Dr Leather if you get it from the wrong sources can be almost double of other sources (Polished Bliss have it for around £30, other places it is nudging £40 and I found some even higher before delivery is taken into account).

I have never tried Volvo's directly, but the premise of the kit is exactly the same as the others mentioned.

Beyond that I have tried the whole "APC" route for cleaning leather, but it is far more risky and a dedicated cleaner is probably better for more regular cleaning as well. Protection wise I have tried Gtechniq L1, but went back to LTT and Dr Leather...

Ultimately regarding modern leather the treatment "cycle" has not changed, you are better doing gentle, little and often rather than being overly aggressive in one hit, similar to the rest of detailing. The only "major" difference is the products used overall.

neon Nov 9th, 2016 14:53

I have flagged to the dealer that the nappa leather on the side bolsters on the base of my sports contour seats is creasing a lot on the side near the door after 2500 miles. I am trying to avoid as much as poss sitting on it when getting in and out of car but it is unavoidable. I have set up a memory button just for entry and exit so that is fully back and as low as poss.
Dealer said it was not bad enough yet to replace it but has logged it.

nu11eaf Nov 10th, 2016 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2192894)
I have flagged to the dealer that the nappa leather on the side bolsters on the base of my sports contour seats is creasing a lot on the side near the door after 2500 miles. I am trying to avoid as much as poss sitting on it when getting in and out of car but it is unavoidable. I have set up a memory button just for entry and exit so that is fully back and as low as poss.

If we can pick up on this after just two thousand miles, you think Volvo would have picked this problem up with their years of development and testing. Same goes for road noise as well.

neon Nov 10th, 2016 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2193455)
If we can pick up on this after just two thousand miles, you think Volvo would have picked this problem up with their years of development and testing. Same goes for road noise as well.

Does feel like it has been rushed to market and they are playing catch up. But I do admire them being brave with the design and technology and can put up with some niggles as long as they are being sorted.

Razer Nov 11th, 2016 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2193455)

Is there any thread where you don't mention your road noise problem. Even if not related to the original post? Lol.

nu11eaf Nov 11th, 2016 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razer (Post 2193635)
Is there any thread where you don't mention your road noise problem. Even if not related to the original post? Lol.

Thank you for bringing up the really bad road noise problem on the new XC90. It really is a problem that needs addressing.

P.S, please see latest posting on road noise thread. Very interesting.

neon Nov 16th, 2016 16:18

Interesting discussion with the dealer today.
There is a bulletin out apparently for my seats and quality of leather for the base of the seat. It includes fitting new leather with more stitching, but Volvo are stating this should only be done to the seat affected, i.e. the drivers seat. I mentioned that I would not be comfortable if in any way the 2 seats do not match and also if the drivers seat has gone the passenger seat will do the same depending on how much it is used at some point.
He came back to me and said the instruction is only to complete the driver seat.

marceloavg Nov 16th, 2016 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2192894)

Do you mind posting pictures neon just so we can keep a track on ours

neon Nov 16th, 2016 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by marceloavg (Post 2196325)
Do you mind posting pictures neon just so we can keep a track on ours

Yes, I will try tomorrow.

nu11eaf Nov 16th, 2016 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2196491)
Yes, I will try tomorrow.

How do you put photos in a message on the thread.

aab203 Nov 17th, 2016 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2196494)
How do you put photos in a message on the thread.

You can either click the 'Manage Attachments' in the 'Additional Options' section or click on the paperclip icon - nestled amongst the other icons above the reply text box. Doing this brings up another window where you can upload your photos.

That's all you need to do I think as the photos will auto appear in your post

nu11eaf Nov 17th, 2016 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by aab203 (Post 2196504)
You can either click the 'Manage Attachments' in the 'Additional Options' section or click on the paperclip icon - nestled amongst the other icons above the reply text box. Doing this brings up another window where you can upload your photos.

That's all you need to do I think as the photos will auto appear in your post

Thanks, I will give it a go later.

neon Nov 18th, 2016 12:56

As requested, pic of drivers seat on door side with nappa leather. May not seem that bad but my car has only done 2500 miles and I look after the interior of my cars. (it was raining when I took the pic)

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...psti9has6g.jpg

Konst Nov 19th, 2016 07:50

Thanks for posting the picture. It is always hard to understand the leather wearing from a picture, but it seems anyway too much for a 2500 miles car.
Although I guess wearing is more related to getting in/out cycles than to mileage.
Mine have nappa ventilated (therefore perforated) and I begin to see some wearing at 3000 Km...

Soltan Nov 19th, 2016 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2197162)
As requested, pic of drivers seat on door side with nappa leather. May not seem that bad but my car has only done 2500 miles and I look after the interior of my cars. (it was raining when I took the pic)

Does seem excessive, I must admit when buying a car the wear on the seat is a big factor for me in deciding how worn the car is overall. Judging by the photo I would have guessed mileage closer to 25000 than 2500.

neon Nov 19th, 2016 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soltan (Post 2197687)
Does seem excessive, I must admit when buying a car the wear on the seat is a big factor for me in deciding how worn the car is overall. Judging by the photo I would have guessed mileage closer to 25000 than 2500.

It does really stand out as the rest of the drivers seat and other seats are smooth leather with no creases. Even with the seat at the lowest and furthest back I cannot avoid touching that area when getting in and out.
Like anything if based on what I know now if I ordered again, this is one thing on my list I would probably not order again, the sports contour seats, I like the comfort but want something that will still look good in years to come. I had not seen them in person but sat in the R Design and thought they would be the same. I think the R design seats are different on the base sides to mine. Maybe someone could take a pic for comparison.

Konst Nov 20th, 2016 08:30

I believe the R-design seats are not full leather (only the side bolster are leather) maybe the nubuk imitation is more durable.
Having had high side bolster sport seats in previous car, I avoided on purpose the contour seats option in the XC90 but the comfort seats have still high sides which are the part with earlier wearing.

neon Nov 22nd, 2016 23:45

Update from today:
Seat base on drivers side replaced. Looks exactly the same. Dealer said that the only difference they could see visually was there was an extra row of stitching inside the leather. Also said that another XC90 was coming in to be done as well.
Now I have nice smooth leather again and will see how it goes.

marceloavg Nov 22nd, 2016 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konst (Post 2197965)
I believe the R-design seats are not full leather (only the side bolster are leather) maybe the nubuk imitation is more durable.
Having had high side bolster sport seats in previous car, I avoided on purpose the contour seats option in the XC90 but the comfort seats have still high sides which are the part with earlier wearing.

Yeah on the rdesign you can add full leather as an option (nappa for about £1k)

Konst Nov 23rd, 2016 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2199484)
Update from today:
Seat base on drivers side replaced. Looks exactly the same. Dealer said that the only difference they could see visually was there was an extra row of stitching inside the leather. Also said that another XC90 was coming in to be done as well.
Now I have nice smooth leather again and will see how it goes.

good news. I hope the seat base is now made on better leather quality , even if its looks the same.