Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Turbo/supercharger (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=15738)

doomvolvo Feb 8th, 2006 22:59

Turbo/supercharger

This isnt the usual "can I fit a turbo to my 1.7" but a new one! Can I fit a turbo to my 2.0???
I'm aware that just before the end of the line for the 400 series car they had developed a 2.0 turbo for the more sportier models! I have heard that a low presure turbo may be possible.
I also thought maybe a supercharger could be used although I have very little knowledge of these although I know it's a popular conversion on minis, hondas and BMW's. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

tuning_redblock Feb 8th, 2006 23:13

Your best bet would be to look at a jap motor for a supercharger, see Practicle Performance car, this month they are doing something with superchargers bought abroad.

Sorry for the lack of info but it's not my scene, the 400's that is, but best of luck

Andi K

Steve B Feb 9th, 2006 13:21

Did see a 480 with a T4 engine in out of a S40. Think they had problems at the time with cooling, as there wasn't much space in the engine bay. Think the T5 is a little too big.

You can Supercharge engines, but you have to watch out for your compression ratios, and you also have to upgrade valves, stems, pistons, flywheel and cams I think, (£££££'s). IMO not worth it on the 2.0ltr engine - it's not that good. I'd look into a T4 transplant, with upgraded gearbox, suspension and brakes to match. It's gonna be expensive either way though.

Pedro Fandango Feb 9th, 2006 13:45

since i had a 480 i've always wondered why they turbo'd the 1.7 & not the 2, not sure how much difference there is between exhaust manifolds etc on the 1.7 compared to the 2 but would of loved to of done it

Steve B Feb 9th, 2006 14:12

Yup, totally agree. The 480 Turbo could have handled a lot more power. If it was more popular in terms of sales, it may have been more cost effective to have a 2 ltr Turbo. But I think development cost were too high, for a little return.

Mark480 Feb 9th, 2006 17:48

Volvo reportedly worked on a 2.0 litre turbo but it was never produced. The 2.0 litre was "de-tuned" to avoid competition with the 1.7 turbo. As for the manifolds they are pretty similar and a 1.7 manifold is an improvement on the 2.0 litre one.

Steve B Feb 9th, 2006 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark480
Volvo reportedly worked on a 2.0 litre turbo but it was never produced. The 2.0 litre was "de-tuned" to avoid competition with the 1.7 turbo. As for the manifolds they are pretty similar and a 1.7 manifold is an improvement on the 2.0 litre one.

'De-tuned', ha ha, spot on. Although I got 141mph out of my 480 Turbo, the car should have been a lot quicker. A little more development work on the 1.7 Turbo would have really made it a flying machine...shame.

doomvolvo Feb 10th, 2006 16:41

I'm getting a nice 115 out of my pretty standard 2.0 already with only a free flow air intake in place at the mo. Dosen't take too long to get there either! Thinking about getting the engine blue printed as this apparently makes the engine work at absolute peak for you along with a mappable chip! Just wondered about the turbo thing as its been said Volvo did develop the monster engine! I'm not really into the whole engine swap thing at least until I've blown this one up anyway. Want to see how far I can push it

Steve B Feb 10th, 2006 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomvolvo
I'm getting a nice 115 out of my pretty standard 2.0 already with only a free flow air intake in place at the mo. Dosen't take too long to get there either! Thinking about getting the engine blue printed as this apparently makes the engine work at absolute peak for you along with a mappable chip! Just wondered about the turbo thing as its been said Volvo did develop the monster engine! I'm not really into the whole engine swap thing at least until I've blown this one up anyway. Want to see how far I can push it

As said, unless you've a bucket load of cash, the turbo added on to the 2ltr would require a host of new internal engine parts anyway, to cope with the extra pressure and heat given off. Some of this stuff may be one off stuff too. It would be cheaper to fit a T4 from a scrappers. The compression ratios are out too.

The part developed Volvo 2ltr Turbo, will internally be quite different in terms of parts and grade than your current normal 2ltr. So it's not a case of bolting a turbo on - as i'm sure ya know.

How about NOS? Cheap and easy power gains!

Mark480 Feb 10th, 2006 18:11

You should be getting more than 115 out of your 2.0 litre. I have had an indicated 130+ on more than one occasion. That's a completely standard 480 with driver, passanger and full tank of fuel.

The "de-tuned" thing is absolutely true. The lack of BHP is more than made up for by the torque and smoothness, in my opinion! The 2.0 litre has been turbo'd by more than one person. Most successfully by a chap in Germany who I think at last rolling road was getting 200 BHP and over 350 Nm of torque - that was a "half finished" project!

classicswede Feb 11th, 2006 12:27

Yep you should be able to send it over the end of the clock. The 2ltr lump goes much better in a 340!

The advantage of a blower is you do not get the kick you do with a turbo. The blower is always forcing air in and icreases presure with rpm.
The turbo option would be the easy way as all the 1.7 bits will bolt on. The 2ltr lump is not as bad as ppl make out.

Just keep the boost low.

Steve B Feb 11th, 2006 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede
Yep you should be able to send it over the end of the clock. The 2ltr lump goes much better in a 340!

The advantage of a blower is you do not get the kick you do with a turbo. The blower is always forcing air in and icreases presure with rpm.
The turbo option would be the easy way as all the 1.7 bits will bolt on. The 2ltr lump is not as bad as ppl make out.

Just keep the boost low.

Still don't think you should just 'bolt on' a Turbo without checking what spec internals should be.

If you run at a low boost to compensate for this, there's not much point having the hassle of fitting it.

You don't want to spend all the effort and money fitting a Turbo, for the engine to basically pack in 500miles down the road. I'd look at Mark480 thread, and search for the Turbo 2ltr and check his specs.

Steve

Mark480 Feb 11th, 2006 13:40

Take a look here:

http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/...t=5942&start=0

doomvolvo Feb 11th, 2006 14:50

Wont give anymore

My 2.0 stops at 115mph and has little more to give! this is going uphill slightly and with only me and full tank of fuel. This is using high octane petrol too. Perhaps a little tuning is in need!!! The engine runs very clean though and I do like the mid range torque but I'd prefer it to give a little more all round as I'm sure the engine could hack it. Dont know where I'll draw the line though as the host of internal changes for turbos or superchargers sounds like a fun if expensive experiment. Had some fun though the other day coming off a roundabout onto my local stretch of dual carriageway (duel carriageway if you ask me) People in BMW's really do over rate their cars sometimes.

Mark480 Feb 11th, 2006 15:44

Aha! My girlfriends little brother wouldn't shut up about his new 316 so I took him out in my (now sold) rusty old bucket 2.0 litre ES. After hitting 120mph in half the time it takes him to get to 90 he squeeked "You can stop accelerating now..."

As for topping at 115 don't know what could cause that, just check everything. You could also try playing with the cat. I hollowed out my first one and it just lost masses of torque. On my latest 480 (Celebration 023/480) I just bored a hole through the ceramic centre, about 30 mm or so. Kept all the torque and a bit more top end power!

doomvolvo Feb 11th, 2006 19:28

Not the exhaust

I hate exhausts there bloody expensive

Steve B Feb 12th, 2006 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark480
Aha! My girlfriends little brother wouldn't shut up about his new 316 so I took him out in my (now sold) rusty old bucket 2.0 litre ES. After hitting 120mph in half the time it takes him to get to 90 he squeeked "You can stop accelerating now..."

As for topping at 115 don't know what could cause that, just check everything. You could also try playing with the cat. I hollowed out my first one and it just lost masses of torque. On my latest 480 (Celebration 023/480) I just bored a hole through the ceramic centre, about 30 mm or so. Kept all the torque and a bit more top end power!

By hollowing the cat out, you just reduce back pressure way too much, as there is too much of an expansive space. Only a straight through pipe will make the difference (just put the cat back on for MOT time).

115mph is too slow. As a 'cheap' mod, i'd try NOS first and see what you think. Then a Turbo after. For ultimate fun, slip in a T4.

Steve

davebslater(uk) Feb 12th, 2006 19:53

i think youll find the 2 litre has been turboed , and can be done for little money , and , as long as the boost is kept low , and your engine parameters in check itll be fine .

NOS is overated , and will certainly almost cost as much as the turbo conversion .

the T4 engine didnt fit for some obscure reason i cant remember

Mark480 Feb 13th, 2006 12:08

@Steve B: Hollowing out the pipe did make some improvement but there were also downfalls, as stated. By just boring out the centre of the ceramics inside the cat you get the best of both worlds. It also kept my car well within the limitations for emissions come MOT time.

@davebslater: Do you still do the fibre glass arches for the 480?

doomvolvo Feb 13th, 2006 16:40

Exhaust

So I need to work on the exhaust as a start then! Am I right in thinking the turbo manifold will bolt straight on? People keep saying it's better but I'm unclear as too whether it's a straight swap.

As for the turbo thing!?! Such conflicting views. I'm gonna go with the yes version from dave blaster but then I'm stuck as to find out where to go from there! I know theres the fella in Germany with a 2.0 turbo'd 480 so perhaps I'll find some literature on the subject! I'm interested in how daveblaster would go about it though!

Steve B Feb 14th, 2006 00:31

Go all out mate, and do it all - uprate everything and run at full boost - it will be quick, make you smile and will make your car and engine pretty unique on these forums (cos most run on lower boost).

Steve

alfonzobonzo Feb 14th, 2006 13:12

130+ :sarcastic: 106 is standard & that was when the engine was new

if only it were true

Mark480 Feb 14th, 2006 21:21

Are you talking about top speed or BHP, alfonzo? Neither seem accurate. Do you have a URL for your information?

doomvolvo Feb 14th, 2006 23:12

I agree

Have to agree with mark there! My car has definately hit 115mph as confirmed on my Garmin GPS which everyone knows is the most accurate way to tell your speed. As for BHP the owners manual states 110 bhp as standard for the 2.0. (although I think mines running a little short of that)

Any thoughts on the turbo manifold for the 2.0???? Just to give it a little more poke before I start getting silly with it

davebslater(uk) Feb 15th, 2006 01:04

turbo manifold fits !!

yeah i do the arches , i may be tempted to spark the molds into life .

alfonzobonzo Feb 15th, 2006 10:38

oop yeah, sorry, i was beeing a ****! apologies all round

thought you were talking about BHP,

in any case i mis quoted, so ive been a double **** :speechless-smiley-0

106 is the temperature the thermostat is fully open tho' :Banane45:

if it were my wife i'd swear blind that I was absolutely correct, & you were all wrong, hehe

B20F 80 kW (110 hp) @ 5400 rpm
B18FT 88 kW (120 hp) @ 5400 rpm

:confused-smiley-013

Steve B Feb 15th, 2006 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomvolvo
Have to agree with mark there! My car has definately hit 115mph as confirmed on my Garmin GPS which everyone knows is the most accurate way to tell your speed. As for BHP the owners manual states 110 bhp as standard for the 2.0. (although I think mines running a little short of that)

Any thoughts on the turbo manifold for the 2.0???? Just to give it a little more poke before I start getting silly with it

I hit 141mph in my 480 Turbo (Road Angel GPS), speedo showed roughly 149mph or summat (all on a private road obviously). It was at night, so I lowered the headlights and just used foglights in an attempt to lower drag - not sure how much affect it would have had!

alfonzobonzo Feb 15th, 2006 14:00

i knew id seen this someware....

from http://www.volvo480register.nl/uk/index.html

October 2002:
Top speed
The extra air friction with headlights up should reduce top speed by 5 km/hr. We have no real life road test information to confirm this.

Steve B Feb 15th, 2006 17:58

Interesting, not read that particular section before. Guess it's obvious really. The only downfall is the foglights aren't always the brightest on an unlit motorway when doing 141mph!!!