Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120, 1800 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Amazon OLD style grills that everyone likes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165409)

123GT-AMAZON Oct 26th, 2012 19:34

Amazon OLD style grills that everyone likes

hi there folks

now this is a tough one i have been working with a friend on making some old style grills that fit in the Amazon front panels .... ( newer models )

now i have the option of getting more done (made ) wondered if there was much intrest ?? it has taking us a year to get them sourced and best possible way of making them hence why i say a tough one they aint easy nor cheap to produce i will explain and later when i get a clear few photos post them for all to see i can honestly say they have turned out real nice but they come with a price tag even in the material they have been made in which is a fibre glass material with additives to not breakdown over years to come , they have been chemicly treated to take the chroming process in a nice finish with a stainless mesh and stainless fixing bar behind them now they come as a pair naturally so twice the work to complete and im wondering if there would be much intrest i have described them to the best i can and photos shortly will follow im in the process of sorting a final price but as they being made abroad conversion rate is a factor so a final price is not ready yet hence why im posting this to see what reaction we may have and comments etc ...... so watch this space and let me know what you think ??

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...6e338ae533.jpg

jakobandhismakarov Oct 26th, 2012 21:06

You'd have some interest if they fit into the later front panels without modification, for certain. Some indication of how much money you're talking about would also be useful.

It's all very well having something tasty (a certain American pro touring car outfit springs to mind) for sale, but if they're gonna cost £400, count me out.

amazon69 Oct 26th, 2012 21:21

^^^WHS

I could be interested, was thinking of doing similar myself, but they'd have to hit the right price point.

Best of luck.

Quarterless Oct 26th, 2012 22:22

As per the other replies. :O)
jakobandhismakarov: unnecessary dig.

123GT-AMAZON Oct 26th, 2012 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobandhismakarov (Post 1278269)
You'd have some interest if they fit into the later front panels without modification, for certain. Some indication of how much money you're talking about would also be useful.

It's all very well having something tasty (a certain American pro touring car outfit springs to mind) for sale, but if they're gonna cost £400, count me out.

cool they fit into the newer style front panels as the originals ( proper old style ) never fit in beeing smaller in size a wee bit so these are for us guys and gals that cannot put the desired style into the front panels :)

price is a hard one as im not happy with total cost atm so hoping to get down a small amount to make it viable for us, next question is what price range do you reckon they would be needing to be within to make it accetable ?? before we commit to any major numbers

i have some front on photos on another pc i will added them when i get a chance over the weekend ;)

loon Oct 26th, 2012 23:21

I think the best way to price an item is to charge the lowest price you are comfortable to charge, but still make a profit. Inform customers that there is a flutuation in price due to the currency market.
we all know that these things are done for a profit, but if you try to sell to high they dont sell, so make sure you are not gready.

and lastly dont tell anyone how much they cost or who makes them.

123GT-AMAZON Oct 26th, 2012 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by loon (Post 1278350)
I think the best way to price an item is to charge the lowest price you are comfortable to charge, but still make a profit. Inform customers that there is a flutuation in price due to the currency market.
we all know that these things are done for a profit, but if you try to sell to high they dont sell, so make sure you are not gready.

and lastly dont tell anyone how much they cost or who makes them.

yes i totally agree with you i always try to be fair first and ut must i wanted these made for myself and my guy wanted aswell then my dad see them and was like o my i want a batch for all my amazons so thought kool good plan then but i knew i was so glad !!! to be able to fit a pair on my car thought it only fair to offer them to everyone just we have got costs as low as we can and even then they come up at a amount its close on wire to me any more and they would be priced off the market i will tell you they come in under 300 so thats the ball park we in plus shipping costs per adress thats unique to each person so hope this helps home in on cost as best i can im hoping they will be a wee bit less and then they will be right on the price i feel
comfortable paying for them myself :)

my first thought was well they fibreglass so a less expesive material but i can tell you when you have them in your hand and they are fitted they look the bussiness i can tell ya

jakobandhismakarov Oct 26th, 2012 23:40

Still interested. Although now you've said 'around 300' that's what people are going to expect. Loon's right, you should have kept shtum until you worked all your costings out.

And TBH, without derailing this thread, I can say what I like about the pro touring outfit, I wanted to do business with him and he stonewalled me. I gave him technical information and he never even said thank you. So forgive me if I'm feeling a bit raw about it (rolls eyes).

123GT-AMAZON Oct 26th, 2012 23:47

credit where credits due i can understand where your coming from on the issue when you get no thanks manners cost nothing and its just polite to use them world would be a better place ...

and on the price im not out to make mega money i just wanted to share the oppurtunity to place a nice set of grills on our cars what volvo had done from start but decided to cut costs and give us some naff ones lol

Tail Oct 27th, 2012 00:36

Allways fancied a pair of the older style grills in my newer front panelled car, especially as the grills i have although ok look a little tired and really good ones are few and far between so put me down as a potential customer :)

kishor kassie Oct 27th, 2012 07:55

grilles

Morning. I think it looks great and I would be interested as well. Off course price would be important.
Thanks
Kassie:thumbs_up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1800necwinner (Post 1278174)
hi there folks

now this is a tough one i have been working with a friend on making some old style grills that fit in the Amazon front panels .... ( newer models )

now i have the option of getting more done (made ) wondered if there was much intrest ?? it has taking us a year to get them sourced and best possible way of making them hence why i say a tough one they aint easy nor cheap to produce i will explain and later when i get a clear few photos post them for all to see i can honestly say they have turned out real nice but they come with a price tag even in the material they have been made in which is a fibre glass material with additives to not breakdown over years to come , they have been chemicly treated to take the chroming process in a nice finish with a stainless mesh and stainless fixing bar behind them now they come as a pair naturally so twice the work to complete and im wondering if there would be much intrest i have described them to the best i can and photos shortly will follow im in the process of sorting a final price but as they being made abroad conversion rate is a factor so a final price is not ready yet hence why im posting this to see what reaction we may have and comments etc ...... so watch this space and let me know what you think ??

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...6e338ae533.jpg

Burdekin Oct 27th, 2012 08:36

You've picked a hard bunch of folk to try and sell to. ;-)

I would say the cost is the cost with this sort of thing. Getting bespoke parts made isn't going to be cheap so those willing to pay the price probably won't be many but good to see some innovation and very good of you for offering it to the guys on here. One thing you need to be certain of before you sell any is how durable they are, if the chrome chips off easily, or they crack over time, etc, people are going to be wanting they're money back which could leave you in a spot.

Now you have got one to copy these guys would make them from stainless steel for you as they have offered to do this for me in the past: http://www.sgbumperscar.com/products(VOLVO).htm

Burdekin Oct 27th, 2012 13:33

1 Attachment(s)
James (Canuck 122) fitted the old style in his, I think he did detail what he did somewhere, maybe he can tell us when next online. I think he fitted old style to a new grill but could be wrong.

123GT-AMAZON Oct 27th, 2012 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khe Sanh (Post 1278544)
James (Canuck 122) fitted the old style in his, I think he did detail what he did somewhere, maybe he can tell us when next online. I think he fitted old style to a new grill but could be wrong.

yes im sure tho some modification would be needed on front panels and this option apeals to the pureists as easily reverted back to original grills at a later point so no harm done to the integrity of the car ;)

but im always open to ideas and any new or better way of doing things as learning new stuff is great

Burdekin Oct 27th, 2012 14:22

You've got me thinking with regard to which I prefer now, never really crossed my mind before regarding changing from original. I quite like the fuller outer suround of the early style as does look more classy but leaning maybe towards the bars in the centre rather than the mesh, hmmm, will have to have a look at some pics of early cars I think.

123GT-AMAZON Oct 27th, 2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khe Sanh (Post 1278579)
You've got me thinking with regard to which I prefer now, never really crossed my mind before regarding changing from original. I quite like the fuller outer suround of the early style as does look more classy but leaning maybe towards the bars in the centre rather than the mesh, hmmm, will have to have a look at some pics of early cars I think.

it has a central bar runing through the middle with the mesh ( stainless steel )as a backing i will have photos later to pop on as we had fitted them to my dads estate to see what they looked like ;)

123GT-AMAZON Oct 27th, 2012 15:09

close up photos of grills

here is the close up photos of the grills fitted in front panel of the car ....

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...633214e6e9.jpg

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...5d7df6ccdd.jpg

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...1859d0293e.jpg

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...d7d83d4da4.jpg

http://www.v-o-l-v-o.org/images/imag...5e3bf981ac.jpg

hopefully that helps see them in a better light :) and quality of the fitment

Burdekin Oct 27th, 2012 15:20

That certainly is a nice bit of bling for the front. Looks like you have nice weather as well.

The pics are probably a little hard to judge and not sure how well the older style fit but are you happy with the fit as it looks like they sit proud and low in a couple of spots?

Tail Oct 27th, 2012 15:20

They look very good, just the job a real classic look :thumbs_up:

Burdekin Oct 27th, 2012 15:38

1 Attachment(s)
Attached a pic of the vox ones Mattias had made. Prefer the ones you've made. I like how yours curves evenly on both sides to the centre bar. I also like how they fill out the whole of the hole where they fit into.

Volvo Canadian Oct 29th, 2012 06:24

Hi - thanks for mentioning me Mitch. I'm not usually on the "For Sale" thread, but happened to have a look tonight.

The way I did mine was to start with the late-model grills from a 68+ (I think). I ground-off all the thin strips with a die-grinder, just leaving the surround and the one wider strip that runs across the middle. If you look closely you can tell they have been altered, but it is pretty clean. Then I just picked some metal mesh I liked for the backing and had it cut to shape. All is attached via the screws in the centre. I painted the mesh with a grey (not silver) as that was what I had, and I like it that way. After a year and 20,000 miles they are starting to show their age, so I'll have them powder-coated. Personally, I don't usually love the old-style, but didn't like the newer ones either, so that's why I did what I did.

I also removed the lettering on the hood, and welded-up the holes - personal preference again.

And I don't know if I have admitted this on the forum or not, but I eventually put blue LED's behind the grill - I had an extra wire, and found lights which match the car. I can post a photo is someone would like to see what it looks like. Personally, I think I got away with it aesthetically, but wouldn't expect everyone to agree.

123GT-AMAZON Oct 29th, 2012 12:15

some photos would be nice ;) to see what they look like thanks for the info ;)

Volvo Canadian Oct 29th, 2012 16:37

Hi, sorry for going-on there abit - off-topic even.

These grills will likely be very popular, and you are to be COMMENDED for the work. My little modification will not likely satisfy anyone who is willing to part with the money for more professional grills.

redcar Oct 31st, 2012 15:45

those look awesome and certainly do bling up the rather understated grills of the later models..

i'm interested :)

mothmanohio Oct 31st, 2012 16:31

Please keep me informed of the progress. I have a limited budget, but they look very good. Thx

mothmanohio@gmail.com

123GT-AMAZON Oct 31st, 2012 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothmanohio (Post 1281145)
Please keep me informed of the progress. I have a limited budget, but they look very good. Thx

mothmanohio@gmail.com

i will keep you informed i belive we have things more organised now we trying it with a stainless steel mesh like same pattern as old style just to compare the look and we should know in a week or so how they come up ;) i will post a image of them so you all can see aswell :)

price i belive will come in a bit better another thing we need to compare on the other old style mesh and then we will be on last run and final figure in hand ;)

redcar Oct 31st, 2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1800necwinner (Post 1278174)

savage looking car there, btw...

mothmanohio Nov 1st, 2012 17:55

Is it possible to take the mesh apart from the grill to paint it another color?

Thanks

123GT-AMAZON Nov 1st, 2012 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothmanohio (Post 1281811)
Is it possible to take the mesh apart from the grill to paint it another color?

Thanks

yes the mesh is attached from behind the main outer grill , held in and fixed withing the front panel with a stainless steel bar... last few photos on page 3 i think i showed the photos from the rear of them but defeintly you can remove the mesh at anytime and change mesh or customize them to pop back in as you asked like to paint them etc ;)

Carlsson 986 Nov 1st, 2012 20:04

Grilles and mesh

Hi there,

I think the idea will appeal to quite a lot of Amazon owners, but the only thing that 'cheapens' them is (in my opinion of course), the pressed mesh itself. It looks like expamet brickwork reinforcing mesh although that's galvanised, so it wouldn't rust!

You've mentioned a stainless steel mesh and I agree that that is the way to go to make them really stand out - e.g. Bentleys or Jags! You could even offer square or diamond woven mesh!

Keep us posted - good luck.

Ric

123GT-AMAZON Nov 1st, 2012 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsson 986 (Post 1281913)
Hi there,

I think the idea will appeal to quite a lot of Amazon owners, but the only thing that 'cheapens' them is (in my opinion of course), the pressed mesh itself. It looks like expamet brickwork reinforcing mesh although that's galvanised, so it wouldn't rust!

You've mentioned a stainless steel mesh and I agree that that is the way to go to make them really stand out - e.g. Bentleys or Jags! You could even offer square or diamond woven mesh!

Keep us posted - good luck.

Ric

there is a option on meshs fresh small holed style and soon to be original looking mesh and all metals included are stainless steel ;)

123GT-AMAZON Jan 18th, 2013 21:02

2 Attachment(s)
hi ya folks

just a little update here now that christmas is over the plan is to get some of these made now what my guy plans on doing - to start with is 2 complete sets of these grills every 2 weeks with mesh style an option as already posted before can have small holes in the mesh or another option of mesh like the originals had in them which ever suits your car or restoration needs :)

they will cost roughly £275 plus shipping cost at time of shipping , my guy excepts usd via paypal and he will ship them direct to the person ( saves me having to wait for them to arrive and then re-shipping on to anyone speeding up the process and keeps me out of the loop money wise ) any enquires i can handle and questions and will do so as best i can but i am just a middle man which will help guide you to getting a very nice period style grills made to fit your amazon i have fitted three sets so far and they fit real nice and look fantastic as seen at last years N.E.C birmingham VEC stand

i hope i have updated everyone with as much info as i can but any questions feel free to ask me here or via a pm i will answer as soon as i see messages :)

be aware of the conversion rate from your native currency to usd as that can change which is out of all of our hands .

Derek UK Jan 18th, 2013 23:07

Deleted. Missed the the big early pictures. Sorreeeeee.

Volvo Canadian Jan 21st, 2013 03:50

Just popped in here again and thought I'd see how this project is going - I hope you have had lots of interest.

123GT-AMAZON Jan 21st, 2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 122 Canuck (Post 1334018)
Just popped in here again and thought I'd see how this project is going - I hope you have had lots of interest.

yup lots of intrest i just wanted to update folks so they knew they where still being done soon as i get told there is a few sets ready i will post again and its a case of first come first served :)

123GT-AMAZON Jan 5th, 2014 01:01

update

hi ya folks

well i have had a delivery of two sets of grills i will be keeping one set so i have one set spare here if anyones intrested ( shipping costs have gone up a little and a small bit on the grills the grills are now £290, had so much on my plate this last year these have been sitting on the sidelines but i have been doing alot of sorting out of spares and getting to grips with things like the cars i rescue & carpet sets which also are going on in the back ground so please forgive me for a late update also i can order them as and when as long as i know i can have them done to order and at the point of them being ready i can then take payment with delivery within 5-7 days afterwards but i will update this post with amount done and as i said before first come first served till the next batch is ready ;) hope thats of help to some people

kind regards
robert

***** so one set of grills is here if anyone is needing atm ! ******

i will get another two sets ready for the next time unless there is a big need and i will get more done to cater for the demand

Tail Jan 5th, 2014 17:15

Typical, I just put my gearbox and overdrive in for an overhaul, will have to find out how much that will set me back first so might need to be in your next batch. Thanks for letting us know anyway :)

123GT-AMAZON Jan 5th, 2014 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tail (Post 1550421)
Typical, I just put my gearbox and overdrive in for an overhaul, will have to find out how much that will set me back first so might need to be in your next batch. Thanks for letting us know anyway :)

hi ya tail

no worries buddy i can put this pair to one side for you if you want and reserve them im in no rush to sell aslong as they goto a good home and help owners get the look which i was after - my goal in this as i was made up i could even get them ;)

and you had posted right at the start of the thread so im happy to keep them here for you buddy

kind regards
robert

fugman Jan 18th, 2014 19:11

Hi I would like a set of these. Can you can pm me payment details please?

Tail Jan 30th, 2014 19:06

Grills have arrived thank you Robert and look the absolute dogs danglies. The car isn't looking its best at the moment so I'm going to wait until the weather picks up a bit and she can get a good polish before I fit them to do the grills justice.

Thanks again Robert :thumbs_up: