Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 Issues List (faults and user problems) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149355)

darbs Mar 29th, 2012 21:04

XC60 Issues List (faults and user problems)

all,

as mentioned on another thread, here is a list of issues i've seen xc60 drivers post to this forum over the past yr. please tick each box for all that apply to you. links to threads on the issues are below (feel free to post alternative threads):

- dpf sensor failure: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97609

- alarm sensor issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=148127

- satnav camera loading issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=79061

- satnav disk update issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=109207

- flat battery issues (fault related): http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106831

- apple connectivity issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136123 / http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136266

- bluetooth connectivity issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1093978 / http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=147480 / http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143929

- blis issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=140020

- volvo on-call issues: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=147267

- excessive wind noise: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81190

note, the %'s are going to weird out a bit because of the multiple selection. inherent to the forum i'm afraid.

mods, can we sticky this please? thx.

XC60MY12 Mar 29th, 2012 22:19

What took you so long?

Another Mar 29th, 2012 22:59

Also had

new front suspension bushes ( to cure suspension creaking)
New front driveshafts (known issue on 2.4d 175ps models)
Tailgate respray due to factory not getting it right
Numerous recalls!

darbs Mar 30th, 2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC60Fan (Post 1128156)
What took you so long?

got to strike whilst the iron's hot!

higthepig Mar 30th, 2012 16:00

Intermittant tailgate failure and various rattles, new one delivered in 5 weeks though!

volvorocks Mar 30th, 2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 1128375)
got to strike whilst the iron's hot!

Yes, but dont mention that to Unite.

XC60MY12 Mar 30th, 2012 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1128608)
Yes, but dont mention that to Unite.

Boom! Boom!

salu Mar 30th, 2012 19:16

Two issues on Nov 2012 delivered XC 60 Summum

- rear camera video processing unit replacement a week ago
- driver side window frame sealing replacement

Boxergirl May 12th, 2012 20:40

XC60 issue

The heating has just failed on a car that's less than 3 years old.

andym1603 May 12th, 2012 20:47

The only problem I have is getting the bluetooth to recognise my Alcatel phone and hold the connection. When it does connect it will hold it for so long then disconnect. Never had this problem with an old LG. Thinking it is to do with the settings on the Alcatel. Need to spend time on it.

Blandy15 May 15th, 2012 14:40

Problems so far
1500miles blown head gasket,two weeks with volvo.
2500miles split vacuum pipe on turbo stranded wife and kids to walk home.
4000miles faulty sensor stranded on M11 eventually got fed up and drove 100miles home in limp home mode at 30mph.
Is this normal for a new car

volvorocks May 15th, 2012 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blandy15 (Post 1163972)
Problems so far
1500miles blown head gasket,two weeks with volvo.
2500miles split vacuum pipe on turbo stranded wife and kids to walk home.
4000miles faulty sensor stranded on M11 eventually got fed up and drove 100miles home in limp home mode at 30mph.
Is this normal for a new car

Wow!

No its not normal and it is not acceptable.

Thats bad.

How old is the car?

Reject it NOW. I can help you.PM me. I am a 'guru' on faulty cars..!!!!

Regards

Blandy15 May 16th, 2012 08:37

Have tried to but no one seems to care they just keep telling me its fixed now.Volvo assist suggested getting train home and then back the next day to pick it up last time it broke down.Problem is its not actually my car its on motability for my daughter so i cant just leave it at dealers and walk off.

volvorocks May 16th, 2012 14:24

Hi Blandy

How old is the car now and how old was it when issues arose?

It is important that you have constructive communication with all those concerned.Volvo assist are just the breakdown guys btw and nothing else really.

It may be the case all the issues are now 'considered' fixed and hopefully will not return. They will generally say 'well thats why it has a warranty' as an opening line.

Regards
ps Volvo Assist will generally provide an alternative vehicle in the event of a breakdown.

Blandy15 May 16th, 2012 15:56

Car is only now 7 months old head gasket went at about 3 months other problems were at 5 and 7 months.As for volvo assist the guy on the phone was just plain rude even the volvo dealer was going to complain about him.

Roy Humphreys Dec 8th, 2012 19:48

Fuel filler cover fails to engage when pushed shut

Owned car for 1yr. now it will be 3yrs. old in March '13, so far problem free except for the fuel filler cover and with Diesel the price it is I really need it to lock.

Xc60Lad Jan 25th, 2013 11:13

i've just bought a xc60 r-design which is 2 weeks old and has gone back to the dealers as the entertainment system has packed up. The radio, cd player and aux worked to start with. then it started to cut out. eventually after 12 days of having the car it decided to freeze and work when it wants. The cars been with volvo for 5 days now and they are still having problems fixing it.

detailer Feb 21st, 2013 08:19

2010 plate. 24K miles and the clutch has packed up within 10 months of ownership.

Owned a Honda for 8 years/90,000 miles and nothing broke.

In short never again.:broken_heart:

leonadis Feb 26th, 2013 12:42

Dog of an XC60

suspension bushes
new head gaskets after only a few months
new fuel tank due to not showing correct amount of fuel
power steering replaced
split engine hose
drivers window issues
Do i still love it YOU BET

HenryM Mar 8th, 2013 21:37

We've had our 2010 XC60 R design D5 Geartronic for about 14 months now after buying it second hand from Lipscombe in Canterbury.

DPF replaced after it went bad, no questions asked, 10 mins at the dealer while we waited.

Serviced recently at 35K miles. Just noticed the power steering fluid level had dropped about 15mm below the low level mark.
Took the car to Dealer for investigation and they've confirmed steering rack leak. Replacement ordered. 4 days within warranty. PHEW!!!!!

I note that someone earlier reported the fuel flap not working. I'm sure ours had a little glitch for a few days and wouldn't stay shut after filling up but that seems to have cured its self.

Voice guidance has disappeared from NAV but I'm going to try reloading the discs soon to see if that gets it back. Not massively bothered about it.

New set of tyres 1000 miles ago and she's back to like new condition.

Other than that WE LOVE IT :car::heart::kiss:
It is an amazing car.

detailer Jun 5th, 2013 20:31

Drivers seat now starting to split badly with holes appearing. Another known fault (its that funny dive suit material). Car done less than 30k and neither my wife or I are heavy.

bluesnappa Oct 17th, 2013 17:38

5 weeks old and sat nav failed on nav xc60. Not good enough at the price paid.

gezp Oct 18th, 2013 15:53

43k Miles, 3yrs 5 months. Radiator leak, had to have a new one. If you experience occasional coolant loss ask for a pressure test.
Mine was fine for 3 months after topping up first time then did it again, by then out of warranty of course.
Volvo customer service and dealer exceptional, cost a bit but very pleased with outcome. Still think its a great car.

volvoXC60driver Nov 3rd, 2013 07:58

transmission issue

hi,
my first time using this service. i purchased a second hand 62 plate xc60 d4 r-design from a volvo dealer just over 2 months ago. from the day I picked up the vehicle there has been an issue with the transmission: when slowing down to a standstill and the revs drop to below 1000rpm, there is a distinct vibration (and noise) which is felt through the gear stick which can best be described as feeling like something is engaging or dis-engaging. it happens every time without fail. 2 weeks after having the vehicle i returned it to the dealer to check. their response states that there is an issue, but they could not clarify what it is and that I should drive it for a couple of weeks more to see if there was any change. last week i returned it to the dealer again for a further analysis as the fault had not improved/cured itself. their response this time was that they could not find any fault with the car or the transmission. this is very frustrating and disappointing. there is an obvious issue with the transmission which the dealer has completely dismissed presumably because the car is still under warranty. i have two questions to ask: firstly, i appreciate i've not been able to describe the fault in any detail but does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? secondly can anyone advise me on how i can get the dealer to acknowledge the fault. for example should i get an independent 3rd party (e.g. the aa or rac) to check the vehicle? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

volvorocks Nov 3rd, 2013 20:13

Hi VolvoXC60driver

Is your car manual or auto? I figure manual??

Regards

volvoXC60driver Nov 4th, 2013 07:21

transmission issue

Hello volvorocks,

thanks for the response. you're correct, the car is a manual. the issue ive described previously occurs no matter which gear is engaged (or neutral) when the car is coming to a standstill (obviously with the clutch down).
kind regards

volvorocks Nov 4th, 2013 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvoXC60driver (Post 1512313)
Hello volvorocks,

thanks for the response. you're correct, the car is a manual. the issue ive described previously occurs no matter which gear is engaged (or neutral) when the car is coming to a standstill (obviously with the clutch down).
kind regards

Hi volvoXC60driver

I am in no way up on technical issues, and maybe a guy called Clan or others may be able to offer better advice. Maybe you could start a standalone thread on the issue you are having? Sounds clutch/flywheel related. We had similar on s60, although it was more diificulty engaging than anything else, although there was unusual movement/stiffness of the gearstick as well. Fixed under warranty.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...2&postcount=16

With yours being a more or less new car yours should also be fixed under warranty. Bear in mind that within the first 6 months of a purchase any faults that arise are for the seller to disprove not the buyer to prove.

The fact you brought the issue to the attention of the selling dealer very quickly, I would imagine you have a case for it to be fixed quickly or changed. It needs properly looking at, so request the dealer does so. It could be something as simple as a loose mount or similar.

Regards

volvoXC60driver Dec 15th, 2013 08:53

transmission issue

Hi volvorocks,

just to update you. i took the car to the local volvo dealer who confirmed the fault as described. they contacted their head office for advice and i received the following explanation. the issue described is a safely feature which eliminates the possibility of putting the car into reverse gear when trying to engage 6th gear. it is true that the 6th and reverse gears are located next to each other but is it the case that all volvoxc60 cars have this safety feature enabled? or do they use a different gearbox? the engineers in the same volvo garage removed the central console to further examine the issue but they were unable to improve or correct it.
kind regards

ex Triumph Man Dec 18th, 2013 17:47

You have got me worried!!!

I have just ordered a 14.5 MY XC60 manual to replace a 60 reg XC90 auto (no longer need 7 seats)

When out testing a manual car from Lloyd Volvo in Carlisle, I did notice just how close the gears are together. In fact, when trying to get 4th from 5th, I got 2nd instead.

Hopefully the new set up will have overcome this. I deliberately went back to manual as I did not like the thought of the car hunting for a gear with 8 to choose from.

Crockers Dec 23rd, 2013 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex Triumph Man (Post 1539360)
You have got me worried!!!

Hopefully the new set up will have overcome this. I deliberately went back to manual as I did not like the thought of the car hunting for a gear with 8 to choose from.

Why do you think it will "hunt". Having driven BMWs 8 speed box and Mercedes 7 speed they are both seamless.

ex Triumph Man Dec 23rd, 2013 12:07

Read too many reports of vehicles with so many gears getting confused when you kick down when half way up or down the box.

Don't tow or need an auto either hence going back to manual.

Brodick Dec 23rd, 2013 13:32

Afraid this is one of the reasons I don't buy second hand cars.
Having owned 2 xc60s with geartronic auto boxes (still have 1)
I have to say they have performed without fault.

Sounds like you have been unlucky. The dealer should be pulling out all the stops to repair.

ex Triumph Man Dec 23rd, 2013 13:43

Must admit the XC90 I run just now, 11my D5 SE Lux, runs without fault. Only trading it in as I no longer need the 7 seats.

675rrr Jan 2nd, 2014 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodick (Post 1542345)
Afraid this is one of the reasons I don't buy second hand cars.
Having owned 2 xc60s with geartronic auto boxes (still have 1)
I have to say they have performed without fault.

Sounds like you have been unlucky. The dealer should be pulling out all the stops to repair.

Why dont you buy Secondhand??

Surely 50 percent of the cost that you lose in the first 3 years is more expensive that a even replacing a full gearbox.

And you are guarenteed to lose 50 percent of your money as opposed to having to replace the gear box 1 chance in 2500000 .

Brodick Jan 17th, 2014 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 675rrr (Post 1547965)
Why dont you buy Secondhand??

Surely 50 percent of the cost that you lose in the first 3 years is more expensive that a even replacing a full gearbox.

And you are guarenteed to lose 50 percent of your money as opposed to having to replace the gear box 1 chance in 2500000 .

I am prepared to take the hit money wise though I have never lost as much as 50% of my money and have always bought new. There is no way of knowing how well the previous owner has looked after a car. There is no way of knowing what issues if any the car has already had any
always factory fresh for me.

pbeecroft Feb 8th, 2014 00:17

4 years 47k miles.
Nothing but tyres and fluids.
It's towed a heavy caravan all over Europe without missing a beat.
Comfortable and stylish.

The lowest depreciating car I've ever owned

dentalan Mar 3rd, 2014 21:31

Door lock issues

I had to replace the left back door lock because it made a strange noise 10 second after locking the car. They said that there is gear broken It was on waranty. After 1 year iI had to do it for the back right door lock. And after a year for the front right. Now I have to replace again the first one (left back) and the drivers lock. In addition I found out there is a water leak from the windscreen. Cheap cars do not show these kind of peoblems.

ctlsleh Mar 27th, 2014 23:33

I just purchased a 2009 XC60 auto Lux d5 awd. With about 45k miles. Beautiful car, family love it, however I've noticed a lot of creaking and rattling in the interior. Its not coming from the suspension, which feels really tight. Anyone got any ideas? Is it usual for xc60s to have internal creaks and rattles? Are there some know areas for this that can be rectified?

Love the car but coming from a 10 year old lexus rx that never had a rattle in all that time, im a little disappointed to be honest.

Appreciate if there are known areas that need silicon or tightening up or whatever.......

Cheers......

Sparky1uk May 28th, 2014 22:21

Trailer System Service required on first use

Had the tow bar and electrics fitted at the dealer before collecting the car, and on first use there were no lights and an error message "Trailer System Service Required".

Dealer swapped something out to fix it.

Choffit Jun 9th, 2014 08:08

Rear door lock and heated washers

During the first year of owning my used 59 reg XC60 it developed a fault with the rear door on the left side not unlocking with the central locking. It had about 65k on the clock at the time. Thankfully it was within warranty.

The heated washer nozzles stopped working around the same time and so I had them replaced also under warranty.

That's it.... For now......