Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   G/box: 2WD: Part # for Neutral/Stop software patch (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172033)

Nick44 Jan 30th, 2013 23:39

Part # for Neutral/Stop software patch

After many requests, have made this a sticky.
This applies to AW55/50 auto transmisson boxes, and their variants, mainly applies to model years 1999 to 2002, check your VIN with Volvo.
This prevents the car automatically seeking neutral while waiting in 1st at traffic lights or in jams, the patch prevents the big thump and consequent wear when pulling away from stationary while the transmission is in "D".

The Volvo Part number that you should ask for is:-
Neutral control by software = 30646691
TCM software upgrade = 30677036

Prices as at August 2010 were
30646691 = £9.11p
30677036 = £14.20

All + VAT

mrc1501 Jan 31st, 2013 12:03

Will this cure slipping between second and third gears? This has happened immediately after adaptation & fluid counter reset.

Nick44 Jan 31st, 2013 22:23

No, this just fixes the bang when pulling away after an idleing stop.
Your issue sounds like sticky valave body poppets.

coastie123 Jan 31st, 2013 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick44 (Post 1342464)
This applies to AW55/50 auto transmisson boxes, and their variants, mainly applies to model years 1999 to 2002, check your VIN with Volvo.
This prevents the car automatically seeking neutral while waiting in 1st at traffic lights or in jams, the patch prevents the big thump and consequent wear when pulling away from stationary while the transmission is in "D".

Prices as at August 2010 were
30646691 = £9.11p
30677036 = £14.20

All + VAT

Your a star nick!!!!!

Kastner is going to have a shock on Tuesday!!

Will I have to order the part numbers over the phone or just when I arrive with the car??

coastie123 Feb 1st, 2013 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick44 (Post 1343251)
No, this just fixes the bang when pulling away after an idleing stop.
Your issue sounds like sticky valave body poppets.

What's the best cure for the sticky valve body apart from replacing it!!

mikealder Feb 1st, 2013 21:17

There is a thread on here somewhere (from 2012) that details how to remove the valves, take them to bits to clean them out then rebuild them and replace them back in to the autobox, fiddly is what it looks like but certainly worth a shot, or you can purchase replacement valves and fit them - Mike

mikealder Feb 2nd, 2013 13:52

Look at This Thread for solenoid cleaning information - Mike

Clan Feb 2nd, 2013 14:10

I would always try the TCM upgrade software and new oil before taking anything apart ...

Jim_V70_2001 Feb 5th, 2013 00:00

I agree with Clan, check gearbox oils etc first.

Neutral stop is nice to have and it evidently worked at some point, so something has worn or gone out of spec. I suspect one of the gearbox valves has gunged up and is moving too slowly, but I have never opened one of these.

In older automatic cars (e.g. my old Sunbeam Rapier) we could empty the gearbox/torque converter oil and then run new flushing oil through the gearbox for a couple of miles and drain it and refill with the right stuff, but I am not sure we would get away with that on one of these boxes?

Mine (V70) improved as soon as I changed the gearbox oil but it's slowly gone back to thumping again since then.

v70stu Feb 12th, 2013 21:18

Just a word of warning regarding prices for the updates. There are the "part" prices as mentioned originally but my local Volvo dealer has quoted that price plus an hour's labour for the workshop time as well. £45/hour.
Just to bear in mind.

Clan Feb 12th, 2013 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by v70stu (Post 1352694)
Just a word of warning regarding prices for the updates. There are the "part" prices as mentioned originally but my local Volvo dealer has quoted that price plus an hour's labour for the workshop time as well. £45/hour.
Just to bear in mind.

That is a bit extortionate as the standard time for downloading a piece of software is 18 minutes ... I dont think you will find a dealer with a labour rate of £45 an hour or it would be booked up months in advance . However i can well believe 18 minutes of labour will cost around £45 .

SonyVaio Feb 12th, 2013 21:38

Well my personal thought is that all software updates unless it is adding enhanced capability (Cruise Control, Trip Computer etc...) then the manufacturer should supply these free of charge for the life of the vehicle?

For instance ECU/TCM/CEM etc... software that is fundamental in the cars operation and clean efficient running of the car should all be free? Sometimes these updates are there because the original software wasn't quite good enough or flawed and updates are required to ensure the product is kept running correctly.

Yes there are updates that just enhance what is already there but this again should be provided free as thrugh life support of vehicle that they produced in the first place?

Personally I think software updates and the cost of them is a con and manufacturers should be providing them free, either as a service or in such a way the end user can apply them to the vehicle.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Clan Feb 12th, 2013 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyVaio (Post 1352713)
Well my personal thought is that all software updates unless it is adding enhanced capability (Cruise Control, Trip Computer etc...) then the manufacturer should supply these free of charge for the life of the vehicle?

For instance ECU/TCM/CEM etc... software that is fundamental in the cars operation and clean efficient running of the car should all be free? Sometimes these updates are there because the original software wasn't quite good enough or flawed and updates are required to ensure the product is kept running correctly.

Yes there are updates that just enhance what is already there but this again should be provided free as thrugh life support of vehicle that they produced in the first place?

Personally I think software updates and the cost of them is a con and manufacturers should be providing them free, either as a service or in such a way the end user can apply them to the vehicle.

Yes thats what i have been saying for the last 14 years since it appeared ... Unless it improves something rather than fixes a factory mistake in programming ..

Gazzza Jul 3rd, 2013 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick44 (Post 1342464)
This applies to AW55/50 auto transmisson boxes, and their variants, mainly applies to model years 1999 to 2002,

This is mine down to a T. . So I'm off to Volvo Garage to have a service and the FREE updates they said if needed ( 2002 xc70 petrol )

Now then is there a way to find out what's on before the service and after. As they said NO. . . which is strange I would have thought there computers would say this is on and then it needs this update so to say or are they correct ?

Clan Jul 3rd, 2013 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzza (Post 1444202)
This is mine down to a T. . So I'm off to Volvo Garage to have a service and the FREE updates they said if needed ( 2002 xc70 petrol )

Now then is there a way to find out what's on before the service and after. As they said NO. . . which is strange I would have thought there computers would say this is on and then it needs this update so to say or are they correct ?

Yes indeed , before the software is downloaded it lists the modules which will be updated ... Ask for that before they do the job .

botsyboy Nov 6th, 2013 19:21

Just picked up my v70 geartronic 2.4t from Harrats volvo in Huddersfield after an ATF change and software update(never had one) and difference is amazing!!
Neutral stop has been removed and the car is much more responsive and the jerky 2-3 change is smooth now. Cost was £185 including fluid counter reset and adaptions reset. Invoice shows £48 for fluid and £16 fro update and the rest labour and vat.

spikes80 Aug 11th, 2014 10:54

I have just purchased an S80 D5 and it does this. The guy who sold it did say there was a software update from Volvo. All the other gear changes are fine. The car did have a new torque converter and starter motor only 13,000 miles ago so would the gearbox oil have been changed too.

Nick44 Jan 14th, 2015 17:36

Probably a bit out of date for this thread now, but Volvo will now issue software updates FOC for cars under 10 years old if you have a standard interval dealer service carried out

SonyVaio Jan 16th, 2015 22:22

Well it is a good step in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure it won't be long before cars are fully connected (wirelessly) and update as quick and simply as an app on your mobile phone.

To be honest, I don't think we would expect anything less from the new owners (Geely - made in China).

Clan Jan 17th, 2015 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick44 (Post 1826778)
Probably a bit out of date for this thread now, but Volvo will now issue software updates FOC for cars under 10 years old if you have a standard interval dealer service carried out

no limit on 10 years it goes right back to 1999 cars ...

Clan Jan 17th, 2015 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyVaio (Post 1828581)
Well it is a good step in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure it won't be long before cars are fully connected (wirelessly) and update as quick and simply as an app on your mobile phone.

To be honest, I don't think we would expect anything less from the new owners (Geely - made in China).

It is here partialy , thats why some 2015 models have wi-fi and 2014.5 models can have it activated with a software . You can already book your service from the car and it sends any fault codes along with the booking ..( This is something volvo were thinking about in 1999 when ON-CALL came out ...)VIDA is all revamped in a couple of months to enable what you suggest :-)

vfr750fp Aug 21st, 2016 16:45

Can I order this software from dealer and use VIDA and DICE to upload this to car myself?
Or is it dealer/indi job only; i.e. they download from mothership then upload to car?

Christerart Aug 30th, 2016 12:02

Marshall Volvo has never heard of this issue.....

Just called Marshall Volvo, Cambridge and asked if they could check against VIN#

Answer "No - and we have never heard of this".

Any other Volvo dealer around Cambridge anyone can recommend?

Rob Edwards Oct 10th, 2017 14:50

Gear box clunk. V70 T5 2005

I have a 2005 V70 T5. When driving in automatic mode (In gear) occasionally when you push the accelerator the engine revs as if its in neutral then clunks into gear (Loud clunk)

Is there a software fix for this

Many thanks.

Rob Edwards Oct 10th, 2017 14:54

Gear box in nutral then clunks into gear.

I have a 2005 V70 T5. When driving in automatic mode (In gear) occasionally when you push the accelerator the engine revs as if its in neutral then clunks into gear (Loud clunk

Is there a software fix for this.

Many thanks