Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Just had 7 FK eggcrate grilles delivered to my place (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=218158)

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 17:26

Just had 7 FK eggcrate grilles delivered to my place

Just had 7 egg crate grilles from FK delivered to my place in my name......

Not sure how they got here, so I am assuming that someone from abroad has sent them to me so I can forward them to them. So can you please let me know who are you.....:D

http://www.fk-shop.de/out/pictures/g..._fksgvo003.jpg

Cornishv40 Nov 17th, 2014 17:35

One's mine :D:D:D

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 17:41

If no one claims them, I will flog them for £10-£15 each and give the proceeds to the Celia Hammond Animal Trust

Cornishv40 Nov 17th, 2014 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 1782536)
If no one claims them, I will flog them for £10-£15 each and give the proceeds too the Celia Hammond Animal Trust

Good idea Gatos :thumbs_up:

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 17:46

What a lucky cat lol I wish someone would send me 7 grills through the post lol .

All I ever get is a frozen seal now and again from orca and bills

Cornishv40 Nov 17th, 2014 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieran40 (Post 1782538)
What a lucky cat lol I wish someone would send me 7 grills through the post lol .

All I ever get is a frozen seal now and again from orca and bills

gatos could have a secret admirer....... :hidesbehindsofa:

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4PAT (Post 1782541)
gatos could have a secret admirer....... :hidesbehindsofa:

could it be she https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ZUWUKxZvk he is a lucky cat

djdarrenpilk Nov 17th, 2014 18:38

grille

Will they fit a c or v 70

ASt85 Nov 17th, 2014 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdarrenpilk (Post 1782575)
Will they fit a c or v 70

if they don't i'm sure we can make them fit - next in line please.............

druid Nov 17th, 2014 18:50

Keep me in mind please Alex!
If you can't find who's they are that is.

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 18:51

No, C70/V70 are different.

I have emailed 4 possible members from abroad, ho have my personal details and might have ordered them for forwarding. 3 replied back saying NO, so only our mad Aussie friend left to get back to me. If he says no, then I start a sale bonanza..... lol

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 18:55

You have the opportunity to repeat a famous saying of your ancestors, if someone later demands you hand them over

"Molon labe !"

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMachina (Post 1782591)
You have the opportunity to repeat a famous saying of your ancestors, if someone later demands you hand them over

"Molon labe !"

lol. Μολών Λαβέ. How on earth do you know this?

As I said, there are only four people here in the forum that I have been forwarding them UK orders abroad.

I am surprised of how many people are interested in these by the way

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 1782598)

As my username may suggest, I've always been a student of the ancient world and I try to learn what lessons of it are relevant. Few are more so than Leonidas ;-)

Can't get my head around the hellenic alphabet though so apologies for leveraging lesser latin letters ;-)

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMachina (Post 1782600)
As my username may suggest, I've always been a student of the ancient world and I try to learn what lessons of it are relevant. Few are more so than Leonidas ;-)

Can't get my head around the hellenic alphabet though so apologies for leveraging lesser latin letters ;-)

Cool. It;s not exactly the easiest alphabet or language to learn and not sure if it is useful any more either. But it's good to know and even greater if you like reading, as it is a very rich language. Only problem though is that I am forgetting it slowly slowly as I hardly get the chance to use it

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 19:09

There is another old saying never look a gift horse in the mouth lol

We all like a bargain :)

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 1782604)
Cool. It;s not exactly the easiest alphabet or language to learn and not sure if it is useful any more either. But it's good to know and even greater if you like reading, as it is a very rich language. Only problem though is that I am forgetting it slowly slowly as I hardly get the chance to use it

I have read Homer in translation.. always wondered how much of it was lost through using concepts that only work in one language. I've found the same thing with Chaucer - Anglo-Norman English has a richness of phrase thats totally lacking in the modern usage and unless you learn the origins of the words you lose half the meaning

I'll have a grill too if any are left unasked at this point and they become available. Thought I'd add that as we were meant to be discussing car parts...

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 19:27

Dx a lot of Greek and Latin words are in the English language apparently we sound very Germanic to outsiders. The Greeks and Romans were the people and cradle's of civilisation, the original inhabitatants of Britain the celts used to trade with the Greeks and Romans. The celts weren't backward either when you see monuments like Stonehenge it remains a mystery how they got those blue stones from Wales to the middle of Wiltshire ;) nobody has ever found the answer.

Proberly inspired aswell from Greek and roman building. They saw the pillars and buildings and built Stonehenge.

gazO2V40T4 Nov 17th, 2014 19:38

Quote:

As I said, there are only four people here in the forum that I have been forwarding them UK orders abroad.

I am surprised of how many people are interested in these by the way

Put my mates name down for one of these he's not on the forum yet

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieran40 (Post 1782619)
Proberly inspired aswell from Greek and roman building. They saw the pillars and buildings and built Stonehenge.

Very clever of the Celts to be inspired by Rome 1350 years before the founding of the city ;-) (assuming conventional logic of Stonehenge main ring being approx 4100 years old and Rome founded 753BC)

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMachina (Post 1782629)
Very clever of the Celts to be inspired by Rome 1350 years before the founding of the city ;-) (assuming conventional logic of Stonehenge main ring being approx 4100 years old and Rome founded 753BC)

The Greeks and Romans were building long before Rome was built and the Roman Empire came into existence I know the celts of Britain and Ireland were trading with them and other people's from the day they set sail and floated in boats. ;) also Egypt

The Romans ( or the people they were called before hand ) didn't just land and invade Britain. They were trading and had trade routes all over the British isles.

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 20:01

The celts were great warriors, artists, metal workers, but they lacked the discipline and organisation of the awesome war machine called the roman army it steamrolled everything in its path, I love ancient British history and European history the European people's were more advanced than what history paints them as. We certainly weren't in caves dribbling as modern historians would have you beleive.

And the celts of Britain and Ireland gave the Romans a hard time when they arrived, even the roman chronicles state we were painted warriors in war chariots. We weren't all lying round drunk and fleeing.

Orca2 Nov 17th, 2014 20:25

Oh thats right, I keep forgetting you chaps were conquered by the Roman Empire. They had to build a few walls to keep them safe from us .

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca2 (Post 1782679)
Oh thats right, I keep forgetting you chaps were conquered by the Roman Empire. They had to build a few walls to keep them safe from us .

In the end we were conquered only due to the fact orca that unlike the celts of Ireland, far western England, and the celts and Pictish people's of Scotland, the celts of England were disorganised and there was a lot of infighting and other politics, had the celts of England been one people the Romans may have givin it up as a bad job but they didn't have a easy invasion it was a bloody invasion and a hard one. They paid a high price for every inch they took.

The Romans only got as far as Exeter here ;) Exeter was their southwest England frontier city, they couldn't conquer anything south of it.

Had they pushed on I think they could have conquered all the British isles, orca the roman walls are still in situe in Exeter sadly a lot of the old city was badly damaged by hitler.

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 20:49

Anyway back to 7 grills and cat woman and how and who sent the 7 grills to the big friendly ginger cat, I was slow I should have owned up and said the whole lot belong to mee mee mee llmao

I do admire batman for keeping so calm and composed in a situation like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCc8XJGSOag he was such a professional crime fighter. Lol

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 20:56

1 Attachment(s)
Kitty guarding the grilles.....:D

Μολών Λαβέ
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1416257704

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 21:11

If one of your cats is called Ephialtes, lock it up NOW

Persians are coming

http://www.morninglorypersians.site1...ing%20up1a.jpg

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 21:13

I love Persian and Siamese cats I have a Siamese that lives in my garden his blue eyes :)

barmandani Nov 17th, 2014 21:13

Gatos

I told you so... Presume all grilles are ask for... Lol

Regards
Daniel

elainesvolvo Nov 17th, 2014 22:14

Truly amazing I wonder who the grills were from.......... look very nice

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by barmandani (Post 1782772)
Gatos

I told you so... Presume all grilles are ask for... Lol

Regards
Daniel

Did you send them Danny if so spread the love I only want one lmao

It's Christmas in a few weeks hint hint ;)

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 22:51

It was indeed the mad Aussie. He is having only a couple of them, which I will be sending to him, so the rest are available for sale. £15 posted with myHermes...:). All proceeds minus the postage will go to my charity
From what I gathered from all the previous posts, the following people might want the grille

T4Pat
ASt85
druid
gazO2V40T4's friend

So let me know guys

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 23:00

I would have took one off you gatos but I've already arranged with bobsleigh :(

stephend Nov 17th, 2014 23:03

Quote:

Μολών Λαβέ.

Out of curiosity, and for the benefit of the Philistine scientists amongst us who didn't have a classical education (:D): "Μολών Λαβέ" means...?

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 23:08

At the battle of the Hot Gates ( Thermopylae ), the invading Persian army met Leonidas, who with his 300 Spartans was protecting one of the last routes through the mountains preventing encirclement of the greater Greek force.

The Persians demanded he throw down his weapons or face death. Leonidas of Sparta replied "Come and get them!"

- Μολών Λαβέ.

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 23:22

They were stopped in Poland lol.

300 Spartans is a cool movie it's long but well worth watching you just have to really concentrate because it is long. A bit like Ben hur and the fall of the Roman Empire I love the end of that when ceaser appears out of that hand lol

gatos Nov 17th, 2014 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMachina (Post 1782894)
At the battle of the Hot Gates ( Thermopylae ), the invading Persian army met Leonidas, who with his 300 Spartans was protecting one of the last routes through the mountains preventing encirclement of the greater Greek force.

The Persians demanded he throw down his weapons or face death. Leonidas of Sparta replied "Come and get them!"

- Μολών Λαβέ.

Actually there were more Greeks. To start with there were about 7000. After Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by showing the Persians a mountain pass that they could use to encircle the Greeks, Leonidas sent most of the Greeks further south too fight another day. 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians and a few hundred Thebans remained to defend the pass and they all died. Unfortunately most people only know about the 300 Spartans and not the rest

gazO2V40T4 Nov 17th, 2014 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 1782875)
It was indeed the mad Aussie. He is having only a couple of them, which I will be sending to him, so the rest are available for sale. £15 posted with myHermes...:). All proceeds minus the postage will go to my charity
From what I gathered from all the previous posts, the following people might want the grille

T4Pat
ASt85
druid
gazO2V40T4's friend

So let me know guys

Just spoke to my mate and he said yes please

kieran40 Nov 17th, 2014 23:40

The Greeks could have one if they didn't split their forces then gatos :) I knew it was close run the Persians didn't have it all there own way I just didn't know what the groups were called outside of Spartans.

I knew Greece in its day was the bed rock of Europe it gave us the alphabet and numbers also many other things.

Also it is part and parcel of the English language http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engli...f_Greek_origin

DXMachina Nov 17th, 2014 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMachina (Post 1782894)
.......Leonidas, who with his 300 Spartans was protecting one of the last routes through the mountains preventing encirclement of the greater Greek force.....

the greater greek force i was referring to is the force of thousands Gatos refers to above... I omitted the thespians as some would assume i meant actors!!