Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   What do wish Volvo would copy from other manufacturers? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301306)

Crockers Dec 7th, 2019 08:16

What do wish Volvo would copy from other manufacturers?

I'll start this off. I really do love the rear view camera on my Golf GTi. It's hidden in the badge so never gets dirty. The one on the Volvo gets filthy in this weather and becomes practically useless.

So I would like to see a hidden camera that pops out when reverse is selected.

Anything you've seen on other cars you wish your Volvo had??

finnster Dec 7th, 2019 08:21

On my last car, Skoda Octavia, you could select to have the heated wing mirrors permanently on - which was great when driving on the motorway with lots of spray as it would keep them relatively dry and clear.

I am finding I have to put my heated rear screen on frequently (which also heats the wing mirrors) at least during the winter months.

john.wigley Dec 7th, 2019 09:08

Gentlemen, you illustrate in only two posts just how far technology has advanced in the 20 years since the turn of the century.

When I read 'Crockers' post I realised just how basic my 2000 V70 is, yet in it's day it was considered a very well equipped motor car. Rear camera? What rear camara - it hasn't even got parking beepers! It does have heated mirrors though, which is an advance on my 740.

Cars evolve. Manufacturer 'A' introduces an innovation; manufacturers 'B', 'C', et al follow or risk losing sales. Before long, what was an innovation has become standard kit, and so we move on. Consider for example the 3-point seat belt, standardised by Volvo in 1959.

Going back even further, I can remember when direction indicators and a second windscreen wiper - not to mention a heater - were all optional extras, if they were offered at all! The likes of Halfords routinely sold accessories such as seat-belts, windscreen washers, flashing indicator sets, demister panels (anyone admit to remembering those?!) and more to enable people to update their cars. :regular_smile:

Regards, John.

marsdalebear Dec 7th, 2019 09:34

My previous, a 14 plate Civic SR Tourer had as standard , reversing camera,front parking sensors, voice command,front fog lights, HDD which could record directly from a disc and more.Other than the camera, I don't miss the rest
What it did not have was melting manifolds, EGR issues,alternator belts shredding cambelts and confusing recalls.
I wish that Volvo would copy the engineering and reliable quality of Honda.
Much as I like my XC60, I do not think that it gives a feeling of solid reliability a la Honda.

Haldex Dec 7th, 2019 09:52

A 40-20-40 split rear bench that they choose to delete.

A programmable favorite button- most manufacturers have it now.. a virtual one can easily be added by a sw update..

And that’s it for me.. I’m actually quite happy with my current volvo.

nu11eaf Dec 7th, 2019 10:02

A smooth V6 diesel engine, Sound proofing to sort out road/tyre noise, rear seat belts that return properly when unbuckled and don't rattle against the hard plastic B posts. Softer B posts, some useful apps (like google maps), Big discounts. EDIT: (lower prices)

Crockers Dec 7th, 2019 10:09

Big discounts are great but this leads to poor residuals which isn’t so great. I’d prefer manufacturers introduce a fixed lower price. Then many cars may fall below the £40K threshold.

I can think of only one manufacturer that offers no discounts and their cars are over priced.

nu11eaf Dec 7th, 2019 10:13

Yes its the £40k extra tax band that is making me hang on to my XC90 and I will not buy anothe car over £40k. (Unless that rule is scrapped)

Clan Dec 7th, 2019 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haldex (Post 2578682)
A 40-20-40 split rear bench that they choose to delete.

A programmable favorite button- most manufacturers have it now.. a virtual one can easily be added by a sw update..

And that’s it for me.. I’m actually quite happy with my current volvo.

volvo had a favourite button from 2007

EssexExile Dec 7th, 2019 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsdalebear (Post 2578679)
My previous, a 14 plate Civic SR Tourer had as standard , reversing camera,front parking sensors, voice command,front fog lights, HDD which could record directly from a disc and more.Other than the camera, I don't miss the rest
What it did not have was melting manifolds, EGR issues,alternator belts shredding cambelts and confusing recalls.
I wish that Volvo would copy the engineering and reliable quality of Honda.
Much as I like my XC60, I do not think that it gives a feeling of solid reliability a la Honda.

On the other hand I've swapped my Honda CR-V for an XC60, I've found the step up in quality is quite noticeable. It's nice to get back to Volvo after a dalliance of few years elsewhere.

marsdalebear Dec 7th, 2019 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexExile (Post 2578721)
On the other hand I've swapped my Honda CR-V for an XC60, I've found the step up in quality is quite noticeable. It's nice to get back to Volvo after a dalliance of few years elsewhere.

I have had 2 CRVs with no issues. While the XC60 exudes quality in most areas and I like it a lot, I do not feel confidence when driving as I did with my Hondas. After 2 CRVs,S2000,first gen HRV,Del Sol and a Civic, I fancied a change and Volvo had an image of quality and solid engineering.
Maybe if I had read this forum before buying it, I would in all probability gone for something else.
I must add that to date it has performed faultlessly, but I feel the Sword of Damocles hanging over me every time I drive it.

Clan Dec 7th, 2019 15:00

Quote:

Remember this is not typical of the many 10's of thousands of volvos out there on the road , the troublesome ones congregate here and give a false impression , ... not much is down to built in problems , many cars here are older and run on a shoestring and it seems a lot of people cant afford to run them and maintain them properly ...
Take a look at the honda forums , i'm sure it is similar :-) and mk 5 ford mondeos with their new version of the 2.0 diesel which volvo used to have , So many more problems now .
There are about 50% more honda dealers than volvo in the UK and hondas 2.2% ( 2018 of which 40% are Jazz ) share of the UK market is less than volvo's 2.8 % ( to date ) That probably reflects the true situation .

ChatsV60 Dec 7th, 2019 16:04

Audi indicators

EssexExile Dec 7th, 2019 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2578734)
There are about 50% more honda dealers than volvo in the UK

That was the advantage of the Honda - I could walk to the dealer!

GMcL Dec 7th, 2019 16:43

OTA updates not requiring a trip to the dealership or additional time at service.

I also hope they do not go ahead with the 180kp/h limiter on all cars from 20/21. At least have the option to remove it for markets where higher speeds are allowed.

nu11eaf Dec 7th, 2019 17:57

Proper Reverse lights instead of the tiny white slits on the XC90

oscillator Dec 7th, 2019 19:11

Soft close doors.
A V6 engine (or even better, a V8).
A software change so the car automatically goes into "individual" mode when started with a particular key without having to fiddle with that silly drum switch. Optimised engine management software which isn't a chargeable extra.

But most of all, a bloody key which is sensibly sized and fits in a gentleman's trouser pocket (or alternatively a Polestar key with an orifice large enough to fit a keyring through).

marsdalebear Dec 7th, 2019 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2578734)
Remember this is not typical of the many 10's of thousands of volvos out there on the road , the troublesome ones congregate here and give a false impression , ... .

That is what I keep telling myself!:D

Quacker Dec 7th, 2019 22:42

Quote:

I have a 2016 CR-V and a 2017 XC90, both twin turbo automatic models. The Volvo has the better performance/economy compromise and the quieter engine. Both have too much road noise and if there was one thing I would greatly appreciate from Volvo it would be a very significant road noise reduction.

I could add a slightly more compliant suspension and softer seats.

FWIW I see no difference in quality between Honda and Volvo but do prefer the dash design of the Volvo, although the instruments and controls of the Honda are perfectly good. Obviously the Volvo is at a far higher price point with choice of interior materials and colour that is unavailable in the more mass-produced Honda, but that is not an indication of quality, more of a choice at a price.

As far as Volvo copying features, I hope that they continue to innovate and lead rather than follow, but if they are not competitive I will have no hesitation in moving to another brand. Currently I am looking at the new LR Defender 110 First Edition model which looks like comparatively reasonable value for money. Am unsure whether to buy my current Volvo at the end of its lease, next March, or order the Defender now for delivery March/April. Defender has the advantage of a heavier duty design that is rated to tow 3.5 tons, which I do need occasionally, and a probable high resale value in the short to medium term as long as the economy doesn't crash.

steadvex Dec 7th, 2019 23:50

I think OTA software updates is about the only thing that would be ideal... I get the impression that could have been done since sensus connect launched, but they decided not too, along with never updating the apps or bringing new ones on the older sensus

I like the boot from the Skoda Superb, do they still do the dual hatch opening?

Seriously though, software updates, ok so its only really Tesla I know of that do it OTA foc, but with each piece of software costing £££ and tons of modules on the car its madness, imagine we had to pay for every update of software on our phones or computers!

Faster charging for the PHEV, I hate how in the same time to charge my V60 our Leaf is almost fully charged from a 7kw type 2 socket, but with nearly 4x the driving range in the same time.

overall I feel mostly Volvo innovate, but never advertise features!

vman99 Dec 8th, 2019 00:22

Parts required to produce a complete car

I would like a coolant temperature gauge, oil dip stick, sunglasses holder and a sun roof that shuts when the car is locked, (the interior cover of the sun roof to stay open), a CD player as standard equipement and finally a full size spare wheel.

GMcL Dec 8th, 2019 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by vman99 (Post 2578860)
I would like a coolant temperature gauge, oil dip stick, sunglasses holder and a sun roof that shuts when the car is locked, (the interior cover of the sun roof to stay open), a CD player as standard equipement and finally a full size spare wheel.

You don't want a Volvo, you want a DeLorean :icon_smile_lachuh:

GMcL Dec 8th, 2019 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadvex (Post 2578855)
Seriously though, software updates, ok so its only really Tesla I know of that do it OTA foc, but with each piece of software costing £££ and tons of modules on the car its madness, imagine we had to pay for every update of software on our phones or computers!

The mainstreams are doing OTA not just the McLaren's and Tesla's of this world. I think Volvo are getting there with their 'free' 100GB SIM card however, realtime satnav, map updates, user interface software upgrades these are all going to plough through data.

5G will murder 100GB in a day, maybe a week at a push.

MAGNAREZ Dec 8th, 2019 08:28

Have a manual dipstick.....
Electronic is OK but call me old fashioned, I prefer to see it for myself.
2015 d4, possibly a mod for this?

Chief inspector Dec 8th, 2019 09:07

Deleted

Paddybear Dec 8th, 2019 09:55

Google maps (audi)
Dashcam integration (bmw)
Pixel headlights (e-tron sportback)
Camera rearview mirror (latest defender)
More electric range for T8 (c.50 miles would be great like latest merc/bmw)
Directional indicators
Fog lights for the T8 (😂)
Rapid charging
All electric XC60/90 (appreciate it is coming)
Better wading depth on the T8....🏊*♂️

Just a few thoughts....and looked at the new defender yesterday....😁👍

cassell Dec 8th, 2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2578783)
Proper Reverse lights instead of the tiny white slits on the XC90

+++1 for this on V90 too, they are complete rubbish!

Philip Fisher Dec 8th, 2019 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatss60 (Post 2578746)
Audi indicators

No. Please. Just no.

Maccmike Dec 8th, 2019 14:03

Cruise control on the right of the steering wheel.

neon Dec 8th, 2019 14:27

Fair to say first Volvo and impressed overall.
Big thing for me though and I cannot get away from it is the road noise and road refinement over bumps etc which should not be the case with a car that cost so much. Other brands do way better than my XC90. Even the mother-in-law asked the other day what that noise was when we took her away for a few days. I just made the excuse that the road surface was poor.
Due to put my winter 19" wheels and tyres on shortly which will help it a bit but still not enough.

MOzS90 Dec 8th, 2019 15:14

I wish the ****ers hadn’t come up with Pilot Assist. Not sure I could live without it now and if I fancy a change of marque, the likelihood of getting similar is either way beyond my means (Tesla) or used BMWs or Mercs with it fitted are ultra rare at best.

Also, why does Volvo’s hybrid tech have to be so damn expensive too?

Clan Dec 8th, 2019 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOzS90 (Post 2579014)
I wish the ****ers hadn’t come up with Pilot Assist. Not sure I could live without it now and if I fancy a change of marque, the likelihood of getting similar is either way beyond my means (Tesla) or used BMWs or Mercs with it fitted are ultra rare at best.

Also, why does Volvo’s hybrid tech have to be so damn expensive too?

I think if you saw all the dozens of heavy duty high voltage water cooled control units and bits and pieces applicable for the hybrid laid out on the floor which are needed for the hybrid system you would understand ! The battery alone is about £15000 . as well as AWD parts on the rear ,🙄

VOLVOL0VER Dec 8th, 2019 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2579000)
Fair to say first Volvo and impressed overall.
Big thing for me though and I cannot get away from it is the road noise and road refinement over bumps etc which should not be the case with a car that cost so much. Other brands do way better than my XC90. Even the mother-in-law asked the other day what that noise was when we took her away for a few days. I just made the excuse that the road surface was poor.
Due to put my winter 19" wheels and tyres on shortly which will help it a bit but still not enough.

i understand you. I have 19" wheels on my XC60 with air suspension and even so it's not that refinement i would expect. Other brands with air suspension and even with larger wheels do it better. I wonder if i had 21" or 22" how it would look like... i guess i would feel every bump on the road.

what wheels do you have on yours? 20"?

Greenback78 Dec 8th, 2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockers (Post 2578662)
I'll start this off. I really do love the rear view camera on my Golf GTi. It's hidden in the badge so never gets dirty. The one on the Volvo gets filthy in this weather and becomes practically useless.

So I would like to see a hidden camera that pops out when reverse is selected.

Anything you've seen on other cars you wish your Volvo had??

Additional boot lid opening and automatic retracting load cover. Sorely missed from my 2015 5 series touring. That and the crappy mood lighting. Other than that, my XC60 is pretty much spot on.

VOLVOL0VER Dec 8th, 2019 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenback78 (Post 2579092)
Additional boot lid opening and automatic retracting load cover. Sorely missed from my 2015 5 series touring. That and the crappy mood lighting. Other than that, my XC60 is pretty much spot on.

totally agree with you. how many times did i already left load cover open?? automatic retracting load cover would be awesome. and the crappy mood lighting i also agree. at least they could have gave us the choice to change colours of all lights in the interior. at least that.

Chief inspector Dec 8th, 2019 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER (Post 2579097)
totally agree with you. how many times did i already left load cover open?? automatic retracting load cover would be awesome. and the crappy mood lighting i also agree. at least they could have gave us the choice to change colours of all lights in the interior. at least that.

90 series cars have a power load cover that lifts clear with the boot opining and retracts when closed, identical to the E class estate.

Ringthane Dec 9th, 2019 04:53

At the risk of being slapped down by Quacker again, a more customisable driver display, a la Audi.

MOzS90 Dec 9th, 2019 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2579019)
I think if you saw all the dozens of heavy duty high voltage water cooled control units and bits and pieces applicable for the hybrid laid out on the floor which are needed for the hybrid system you would understand ! The battery alone is about £15000 . as well as AWD parts on the rear ,🙄

Yet I can get a used 530e or even a brand new 330e (yes I known neither are 4wd) cheaper than a used S60 / S90 T8. The new 330e is better than any T8 in areas that mean most to me.

Quacker Dec 9th, 2019 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 2579169)
At the risk of being slapped down by Quacker again, a more customisable driver display, a la Audi.

I agree with you that the Audi display and latest nav display is better than Volvo’s, even down to top end VW Golf level. I knew this before getting the Volvo but find the Volvo’s to be simple and servicable. Do I wish it was an Audi? Not really. If I wanted another Audi I would have bought one and I have no regrets.

Deciding upon a car is about balancing the whole package to be agreeable, not dependant on one particular feature unless that one is particularly objectionable. There is no doubt that the next generation Volvo display, built on Android, will be very different and better, but whether the rest of the car will be agreeable is more questionable, as Volvo seems to wish to take control of more and more aspects of the actual driving.

neon Dec 9th, 2019 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER (Post 2579054)
i understand you. I have 19" wheels on my XC60 with air suspension and even so it's not that refinement i would expect. Other brands with air suspension and even with larger wheels do it better. I wonder if i had 21" or 22" how it would look like... i guess i would feel every bump on the road.

what wheels do you have on yours? 20"?

20" with the continental so called silent tyres.