Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Safety recall for fire risk (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296328)

Chrisv60 Jul 5th, 2019 12:52

Safety recall for fire risk

Just received notification of a safety recall for a concern on 4 cylinder Diesel engines 2014 to 2019 which includes mine.

In rare cases the inlet manifold may melt and deform possibly leading to a fire.

Any unusual engine operation including EML, lack of power, hesitation should be reported to Volvo. Any smell, stop immediately.

I will get a second letter regarding the proposed solution as soon as it is available!

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai.../notifications

rallychris Jul 5th, 2019 13:10

Just received my letter too :shocked:

Rex65 Jul 5th, 2019 13:43

Mines going in next Friday to be checked.

jagandvolvonut Jul 6th, 2019 05:49

Got our letter Friday 05/07/19. Wait for next letter or call from our dealer.

Zebster Jul 6th, 2019 08:08

Nope, nothing yet.

What causes the intake manifold to become hotter than expected and actually melt?

Clan Jul 6th, 2019 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2534109)
Nope, nothing yet.

What causes the intake manifold to become hotter than expected and actually melt?

egr gas which has not gone through the cooler perhaps ?( There is a bypass flap )

Zombiedave Jul 6th, 2019 17:10

Got my letter this morning. I’m wondering if this is linked to the other post on here re: surging under light throttle on the d4 engine which mine has been doing too.
It would sort of make sense if it’s the cause as if the inlet is deformed it’s going to cause all sorts of power related problems.

Dash300 Jul 6th, 2019 17:24

Still waiting for my invite :confused_smile:

HDAV Jul 6th, 2019 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2534235)

Me too I wasn’t affected by the recent fuel pipe recall but this does seem more widespread.

Chrisv60 Jul 6th, 2019 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2534235)

It's not really an invite.

It's more of a 'your car might catch fire, we'll write to you again when we've figured out how to fix it'. :shocked:

Deadloak Jul 8th, 2019 08:13

No notification for mine as yet.

SeaShell Jul 8th, 2019 20:42

Anyone got a list of VIN numbers involved.

I checked on the website and my vin is showing no recalls, although I did recently have EML relating to EGR and the car does stutter During the warm up cycle.

Is this similar to the current BMW issue?

mattievrs Jul 8th, 2019 21:28

Is this limited to v60s etc or across the range suck as v40 and 1.6/2.0 engines?

SeaShell Jul 9th, 2019 15:50

I have spoken to my dealer as my warning light was on last week. There is a letter going out for my car and it's now booked in for a check next Wednesday.

I'll report back.

Chrisv60 Jul 9th, 2019 18:28

It will be interesting to see what they do as the letter and website say they haven't got a solution yet.

Dash300 Jul 9th, 2019 19:47

And still waiting, I got better service from a Hotpoint recall:omg_smile:

mattievrs Jul 9th, 2019 20:21

I’ve had a new egr cooler recall and a fuel pipe recall done when it was serviced twice and have to this day never had a letter from Volvo! The recall were done at least 9 months after the recalls were issued!

Fimac Jul 10th, 2019 22:19

fire extinguisher in my boot at the ready !

Clan Jul 11th, 2019 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fimac (Post 2535410)
fire extinguisher in my boot at the ready !

You really need at least a 2 kg one , those small ones last about 7 seconds !

Chrisv60 Jul 11th, 2019 14:48

I was thinking more like a can of petrol.....

:wink_smile:

Zebster Jul 11th, 2019 15:15

I've just received the 'we don't know how to fix it but your car might catch fire' notification.

Fingers crossed then...

Clan Jul 11th, 2019 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaShell (Post 2534848)
Anyone got a list of VIN numbers involved.

I checked on the website and my vin is showing no recalls, although I did recently have EML relating to EGR and the car does stutter During the warm up cycle.

Is this similar to the current BMW issue?

That is because there Is no recall yet .....

Zebster Jul 11th, 2019 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2535539)
That is because there Is no recall yet .....

Correct, even though the letter comes in an envelope with 'RECALL NOTIFICATION' in big red letters on it.

Clan Jul 11th, 2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2535546)
Correct, even though the letter comes in an envelope with 'RECALL NOTIFICATION' in big red letters on it.

Yes it is a notification about a forthcoming recall .. In red to stop anyone thinking it is junk mail ..

D4dilemma Jul 12th, 2019 09:55

Disingenuous Volvo Notification

No surprise I got a notification for my 2014 D4 V60 but both it and the Q & A on Volvo website deliberately avoid telling the true story as part of the continuing attempt to cover up the EGR debacle. In mentioning Volvo’s attempts at an elusive fix they don’t even say whether it is for the underlying cause or merely to stop the car catching fire....
A Service Manager assures me Volvo have officially confirmed the obvious to dealers that excess temperatures and potential fires have occurred when manifolds get blocked by the EGR related gunge. But that information is not passed on to customers, many of whom are not technically minded and will think this is a new random issue. Clearly if newer cars with unblocked manifolds had caught fire the problem would have come to light years ago....
In its 47 K miles my car recently had the well documented hesitation which another dealer correctly predicted in an email as caused when Inlet valves get obstructed by EGR gunge progressive build up. He was emphatic the EGR problem had not been resolved but had generated numerous increasingly serious engine problems.
The final bill of £4,000 was 95% paid by Volvo only after I sent them photos from the workshop and their own 2016 email to me promising I had the “permanent fix”. Initially they refused to contribute which I assume is a situation others have faced. On top of its second Intake manifold and all new inlet valves the car had required replacement (again) of EGR Valve and the “new” cooler which had been described as the permanent fix under warranty. Any work done merely addresses the damage done but there is no fix available for the cause. If they have failed to find one in the last 3 years or so, how will they do so now? No surprise this is a Safety Recall without an actual Recall.....
All of this goes back to the attempt by Volvo to have this active or whatever EGR system meeting Euro 6 which others may have achieved, but they have not. Their reverting to Ad Blue around 2017/18 is an admission they failed, but it leaves the awkward problem of the thousands of cars sold before that and the massive cost of admitting the truth. Their policy seems to be one of buying off troublesome complainers and hoping the cars get sold on, eventually getting prematurely scrapped due to repair costs exceeding car value. Car values themselves being depressed by the well known unresolved defect. In truth D4 owners have suffered a far more definite financial loss than those in the VW Group Action. Hardly the behaviour of a manufacturer claiming ethical credentials and an urge to go electric..
So called Good Will payments are in fact the opposite. They are intended to keep a lid on overall costs while passage of time makes the problem go away. Car owners being less organised than the truck sector who have forced Volvo to report setting aside tens of millions to fix their similar problems...
I intend to make a formal complaint to the Motoring Ombudsman and wherever else I can. In reality for all owners this should be a simple matter of Breach of Contract concerning the Binding promise made under warranty of a permanent fix. Perhaps a D4 Group Action is long overdue? Just imagine if Volvo had told us the truth in the first place. “Sorry your car has a defect we cannot solve. You will have problems which will cause periodic expensive replacement of blocked parts potentially leading eventually to engine failure or even a fire. But if you ask really nicely and have it serviced by our network we may possibly contribute to costs. Please don’t sue us or let it stop you buying another Volvo. You can rely on us”

[GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]

Zebster Jul 12th, 2019 10:37

A brilliant post @D4dilemma. Well said!

D4dilemma Jul 12th, 2019 17:10

Thanks. In fact they don't even mention the D4 Engine although it is my understanding it only applies to that engine. I suspect many owners will not be able to join the dots.

Clan Jul 12th, 2019 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4dilemma (Post 2535796)
Thanks. In fact they don't even mention the D4 Engine although it is my understanding it only applies to that engine. I suspect many owners will not be able to join the dots.

D4 is not an engine , There are many variants of the same 2 litre VEA Diesel engine , D2 D3 D4 D5 etc stands for the particular power output it is tuned to . ..

tompip Jul 12th, 2019 19:42

Hi

So are you saying that this affects any 2 litre engine but anything above this i.e. 2.4 2.5 should be ok

Rex65 Jul 12th, 2019 20:27

There's a dealer conference call on Monday with Volvo to give them more info apparently.

Clan Jul 12th, 2019 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompip (Post 2535833)
So are you saying that this affects any 2 litre engine but anything above this i.e. 2.4 2.5 should be ok

It is nothing to do with the 5 cylinder engine ,

The engines affected are with certain chassis numbers , so you don't know until you get the letter . But remember the Recall is not launched yet .

Dash300 Jul 12th, 2019 20:51

Well I have an XC60 D4 2 ltr MY2015 bought new from a Main Dealer, had all the EGR mods and currently at 96k mls, main dealer serviced from new and still I have not had the guilded letter from the Volvo Gods. I'm starting to get a complex. Is it perhaps that I have helped myself to too many of the free offerings of coffee and biscuits at service time?:confused_smile:

Clan Jul 12th, 2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2535853)
Well I have an XC60 D4 2 ltr MY2015 bought new from a Main Dealer, had all the EGR mods and currently at 96k mls, main dealer serviced from new and still I have not had the guilded letter from the Volvo Gods. I'm starting to get a complex. Is it perhaps that I have helped myself to too many of the free offerings of coffee and biscuits at service time?:confused_smile:

They are probably staggering the letters , no good sending out so many letters all at the same time that the dealer is swamped with continuous phone calls all in the same week i guess .

Turnwood Jul 13th, 2019 01:15

I have received a letter

SeaShell Jul 16th, 2019 16:14

Letter received today and car in tomorrow. EML light back on.

It appears that there will be a second letter when a solution is found.

On a side note my brother has a BMW 520D and has been driving a loan car for the last few months as his is waiting for the BMW EGR fire related fix, so it appears it's not only Volvo with EGR woes.

Turnwood Jul 16th, 2019 17:36

What if I wanted to trade in or sell my car now? To me it seems as though my car is now effectively worthless until Volvo come up with a fix. There is also no mention at this stage whether we should be concerned about fire manifesting shortly after the vehicle has been parked. Should I be parking it in my garage or close to my house? This is all rather disappointing I'm afraid....

SeaShell Jul 16th, 2019 19:59

Perhaps Volvo should buy back all the faulty cars...would be a good way to move people from diesel to hybrid!!

ShamusUK Jul 17th, 2019 09:00

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...uel-leak-fears

Not sure if the above link has been posted elsewhere in this thread.

ChrisV60's thread was started in July 2019. As per the above link, Volvo announced the recall back in January 2019.

I'm yet to receive my recall letter, six months in. I had my car serviced at Volvo in April and nothing was mentioned. With (even a small) potential fire risk, you'd expect a safety conscious company to be a little more aggressive with the recall and repair.

I love my V60, and don't really want to change. Sure hope Volvo sorts these problems out soon. Otherwise, i'll be forced to look elsewhere, and lose a big chunk of money in the process.

Clan Jul 17th, 2019 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamusUK (Post 2536975)

ChrisV60's thread was started in July 2019. As per the above link, Volvo announced the recall back in January 2019.

I'm yet to receive my recall letter, six months in. I had my car serviced at Volvo in April and nothing was mentioned. With (even a small) potential fire risk, you'd expect a safety conscious company to be a little more aggressive with the recall and repair.

I love my V60, and don't really want to change. Sure hope Volvo sorts these problems out soon. Otherwise, i'll be forced to look elsewhere, and lose a big chunk of money in the process.

Haven't you asked your dealer about it yet? Maybe your car is not affected by it ..

Zebster Jul 17th, 2019 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamusUK (Post 2536975)

This thread is about a potential manifold-related problem recall, NOT the earlier fuel pipe leak recall. I've not received any correspondence regarding the latter.