Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What I did today thread... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149013)

akabond Oct 14th, 2012 03:55

2 Attachment(s)
didnt know this thread existed. Anyways i had my interior to LED. And LED parking lights

ShadeTek Oct 14th, 2012 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by akabond (Post 1269072)
didnt know this thread existed. Anyways i had my interior to LED. And LED parking lights

How much and where from?

akabond Oct 15th, 2012 20:25

i got it from amazon from different sellers. There are so many bulbs inside S80. I just did the domes,trunk,under the side mirrors and front parking lights (from the picture). Still have glove, map lights, and reverse lights to go.
So far cost around $20

Wentworth Oct 16th, 2012 20:49

Great Thread!

There's nothing like having a little fiddle every day is there?

Today I adjusted the handbrake on the V70 from 15 clicks down to 6.

I connected my OBD code reader cable and laptop and confirmed that there are no DTCs recorded.

Very satisfyimg to tick a couple off the list, but here are still plenty more to keep me busy.

Cheers,
Paul.

ShadeTek Oct 16th, 2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wentworth (Post 1270918)
There's nothing like having a little fiddle every day is there?

Indeed, today I was researching what the high pitched whistle is coming from my car. I noticed it when I first got the car and it is intermittent. It is either a blocked PCV breather system, or a leaking vacuum pipe on the air vac pump/brake booster side. I get the brake air pump running on and buzzing away under the bonnet for a minute after I stop the engine, so I think the two may be connected. There's also a vacuum line with in-line valve which may need testing.

Wentworth Oct 18th, 2012 16:23

15 mins job...

Today I removed the instrument cluster to check the bulbs.

I suspect/hope that the 2 bulbs behind the DIM are blown as I have a blank display there. All others OK and the instruments & other backlights are working correctly.

So... bulbs located and identified. Now to order replacements.

If it turns out not to be the bulbs.... then I guess I need a DIM repair.... but hey, I may be lucky!

Cheers,
Paul.

Andy Northface Oct 18th, 2012 22:48

Changed a track rod end on the S80. Took me 10 minutes. :) It took me longer to get my toolbox out of the electric cupboard!

RM955I Oct 19th, 2012 18:00

Had both front wishbones replaced with genuine items after the re-bushing debacle. The car feels soooooo much better for it: it's hard to describe but it just feels tighter and holds a line better. I decided to pay an indy to do it rather than spending another Saturday crawling around under the car.

I also got the loan of an S60 D5 manual which was interesting. It confirmed that I really do like my auto (it's my first one).

I also noted that the D5 is a peach and has a huge amount of grunt compared to my 170 petrol but I found the S60 a bit 'fidgety' and oddly (although it may all be in my mind) I didn't think it rode as well or had the refinement of my V70: it was a 2003 S60 with 108k versus my 2005 V70 with 98k. If I didn't know better (and I haven't looked into it) I'd even say it felt like a different floorpan although I always though an S60 was just a V70 with a boot.

reggit Oct 19th, 2012 18:36

Just started to attack my previously unloved paintwork with a clay bar, darkness has now stopped play, will continue the cleaning/claying and polishing tomorrow.

Wannavaux Oct 21st, 2012 12:08

I'm proud to say that with the support of the forum I have repaired my ETM overnight. Bought a Sacer kit from Ebay (suspect it was probably TDIVolvo given the sellers location), spent yesterday afternoon and evening removing putty and separating solder joints and adding the new sensor in. It was dark by the time I finished but I had to find out whether the fix worked or not as I was petrified it would all be out as I didn't bother taking voltage readings on the existing ETM setup before I took it off.

Drove down to the garage where its stored, bolted it on, switched ignition on, made sure I tried basic settings (foot to floor and back up slowly twice in accelerator) and fired it up. After the third starting cycle the ETS went out as did all the error codes and I now have a fully functional V70. Changed the battery to and 096 rather than an 027 which has given me more faith in its battery power.

All in all, a very happy V70 owner with faith restored in the car starting and running on the button. For anyone thinking of doing it yourself, take your time, invest in a Dremel or similar rotary tool as it will pay for itself on this task.....most of all, thank you to the kind souls who have offered advice and support on the whole process.