Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   HUD or heated windscreen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283481)

MaDProFF Oct 16th, 2018 15:12

I do use the Heated screen quite a lot, when driving very early in the morning this time of year, and that annoying mist you get on the outside of the window screen is cleared very quick, and stays clear once you wiped it with wipers and heated screen warmed up.

emfyip Oct 29th, 2018 08:23

Heated windscreen not working?

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the heated windscreen to kick in? Got my S90 back in July and it is the fist time I've tried to use the heated winscreen this morning. Rear windows defrost straight away. Font windscreen doesn't seem to do anything, window screen does not even feel warm after a few minutes.
I've checked the fuses and they seem to be OK.

jamei305 Oct 29th, 2018 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by emfyip (Post 2461850)
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the heated windscreen to kick in? Got my S90 back in July and it is the fist time I've tried to use the heated winscreen this morning. Rear windows defrost straight away. Font windscreen doesn't seem to do anything, window screen does not even feel warm after a few minutes.

You should notice it working within one minute if it's just frost, maybe longer if you have like an inch thick layer of frozen snow.

jamei305 Oct 29th, 2018 08:48

Meanwhile the new Ford Focus features a heated windscreen and HUD which are not incompatible, the HUD is also viewable with polarised glasses.

I admit I was surprised when I saw Volvo had these as an either/or option.

Chief inspector Oct 29th, 2018 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by emfyip (Post 2461850)
Hi,

Had you switched it on?

I done a 7 minute remote start this morning at minus 6, the drivers seat, steering wheel and front and rear windows are set to work at all starts below 10 degrees, other than the side windows the car was defrosted.

Its slightly less powerful than the rear screen, last year in the XC60 it took the front maybe 5 minutes to shift thick ice at minus 12.

emfyip Oct 29th, 2018 10:36

I tested this morning, temp was -1c, was sitting there for a least 10 mins. I switched it on via the sensus screenm, nothing seemed to be happening. I could see the blowers melting the frost at the bottom of the screen, but rest of the screen still had frost screen still felt cold to the touch. Didn't use the remote start as I wanted to check heated screen was working.

Chief inspector Oct 29th, 2018 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by emfyip (Post 2461889)
I tested this morning, temp was -1c, was sitting there for a least 10 mins. I switched it on via the sensus screenm, nothing seemed to be happening. I could see the blowers melting the frost at the bottom of the screen, but rest of the screen still had frost screen still felt cold to the touch. Didn't use the remote start as I wanted to check heated screen was working.

Its got its own button - to the right of the rear window one.

One press is electric only, two presses electric and air.

emfyip Nov 6th, 2018 09:59

for those interested. Took it to the dealer yesterday, they said it was a loose earth connection under the bonnet. Typical with the British weather it has now warmed up so I can't really test it again.

sammyblackbaron Dec 5th, 2018 22:13

Used mine for the first time a couple of days ago. Within about a minute, rock-hard ice was completely cleared, which was a real help considering the size of the windscreen and the stretch required to scrape it.

I have to say though, the fact that the side windows still need scraped/de-iced did make me wonder if it was as useful as I first thought...

Quonker Dec 5th, 2018 22:19

I chose the HUD which I love, especially when using navigation.

Having the T8 with auxiliary heater helps though of course.