Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   2014 S60 D5 Lux Nav R-Line G/T (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339613)

Kev0607 May 11th, 2024 19:24

No further adjustments that I know of. You have the adjuster in the engine compartment and the scroll wheel in the car near the headlight controls.

Looks like it needs to go to the garage to be diagnosed/fixed properly.

Waqar92 May 11th, 2024 21:48

1 Attachment(s)
It’s very odd. Why would it form a square shape? How do these headlights work? Why does it form a square shape as opposed to the whole beam being too high/low???

Here is a video. Want to learn about how these headlights work (or develop a fault - what is causing it to behave like this??)

https://youtu.be/n-Az9vitpd4

Kev0607 May 11th, 2024 23:10

Not sure how they work exactly. Looks to me like the driver’s side is way out of adjustment, but it was the passenger side that was originally.

Maybe try adjusting the driver’s side, like you did on the opposite?

You definitely can’t drive around with lights like that, especially at night. Needs sorting.

Waqar92 May 11th, 2024 23:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2949330)
Not sure how they work exactly. Looks to me like the driver’s side is way out of adjustment, but it was the passenger side that was originally.

Maybe try adjusting the driver’s side, like you did on the opposite?

You definitely can’t drive around with lights like that, especially at night. Needs sorting.

I’ve managed to drop them but it’s not great, the pattern across is not consistent. Just wished I could understand what’s caused it to become like this, especially after they were correct a few days ago. Why are they misbehaving!?

Kev0607 May 11th, 2024 23:44

Someone could have put bulbs in without securing them properly in place, or the bulbs have somehow got loose. This can create an odd beam pattern. Or, its a an issue with the actual headlight.

You’ll have to take the headlights out to see if the bulbs are properly seated and held in position. Easy on a Volvo… lift the bonnet and remove the metal prongs in the slam panel above the lights. Then you’ll be able to take the headlights out. Some cars nowadays, you have to take the bumper off to change a bulb! Thankfully, Volvo made it easy on this era of cars anyway.

Waqar92 May 12th, 2024 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2949335)
Someone could have put bulbs in without securing them properly in place, or the bulbs have somehow got loose. This can create an odd beam pattern. Or, its a an issue with the actual headlight.

You’ll have to take the headlights out to see if the bulbs are properly seated and held in position. Easy on a Volvo… lift the bonnet and remove the metal prongs in the slam panel above the lights. Then you’ll be able to take the headlights out. Some cars nowadays, you have to take the bumper off to change a bulb! Thankfully, Volvo made it easy on this era of cars anyway.

Yeah they pull right out easily. I’ve misplaced my torx so couldn’t open them up. However I noticed that there is another plastic adjustment hex inside. What does that adjust?? You can’t access when the headlight is in its place.

Edit: Just thought about it, likely the horizontal adjustment which I don’t need to tamper with.

Kev0607 Jun 6th, 2024 23:09

Any updates?

Waqar92 Jun 7th, 2024 12:11

Been a little bit of an issue. Sent car in for inspection at Volvo and has an unfortunate oil leak from fresh air pipe. I’ve not driven it for a couple of weeks since I have been back and forth with the dealer. Not sure how much of a big issue it is, however I rejected the car and dealer agreed to take it back for a refund. I don’t want to me changing gaskets on a car or having work done to an engine after just purchasing it.

Since the car was overfilled with oil upon receipt of car, I feel that this could have developed the oil leak and may be seeping through gasket. When I opened the coolant a few times initially, there would be a foul smell coming through reservoir. Not sure but to me coolant should not have a burning smell.

I don’t want to return as it is a rare find with all bells and whistles I was looking for. But the sole reason I got the car was hoping it had a sound engine, which my gut says that it might need work after putting thousands of miles. Maybe I’m wrong. Heart and brain are at disagreement at the moment.

https://youtu.be/g9Iq1tpvr7c

Kev0607 Jun 7th, 2024 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waqar92 (Post 2952893)
Been a little bit of an issue. Sent car in for inspection at Volvo and has an unfortunate oil leak from fresh air pipe. I’ve not driven it for a couple of weeks since I have been back and forth with the dealer. Not sure how much of a big issue it is, however I rejected the car and dealer agreed to take it back for a refund. I don’t want to me changing gaskets on a car or having work done to an engine after just purchasing it.

Since the car was overfilled with oil upon receipt of car, I feel that this could have developed the oil leak and may be seeping through gasket. When I opened the coolant a few times initially, there would be a foul smell coming through reservoir. Not sure but to me coolant should not have a burning smell.

I don’t want to return as it is a rare find with all bells and whistles I was looking for. But the sole reason I got the car was hoping it had a sound engine, which my gut says that it might need work after putting thousands of miles. Maybe I’m wrong. Heart and brain are at disagreement at the moment.

https://youtu.be/g9Iq1tpvr7c

That's an unfortunate situation. It looks like a lovely car, but I agree, you don't want to be spending money on engine repairs after just purchasing a new vehicle (or new to you). Would the warranty not cover the issues you were experiencing?

What are you going to get instead?

Waqar92 Jun 7th, 2024 20:33

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2952937)
That's an unfortunate situation. It looks like a lovely car, but I agree, you don't want to be spending money on engine repairs after just purchasing a new vehicle (or new to you). Would the warranty not cover the issues you were experiencing?

What are you going to get instead?

Warranty covers up to a couple of thousand. It may cover it but I don’t know if the car would be the same after work carried out to the engine. Granted it is not major problems from a used vehicle, but I brought into this with the hope that I don’t have to touch the engine at all for a good 5 years. I did my research before buying into this car and engine and I definitely can’t fault it for the model and spec. It’s unique and drives great, and sounds powerful. Maybe I’m being overly negative.

Nothing... Just going to continue driving my 18 year old golf which I’ve owned for 9 years. Basic but it has served me well (apart from under chassis rust, few suspension components at MOT, and drinking little more oil over the years of ownership). Mechanically it has been brilliant (brought at 50k, and still going strong at 140k). All I do is regular oil and filler change at intervals of 10-12k miles myself. Hardly spent anything major apart from small upgrades when I purchased to make it little more unique.