Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   New about a possible recall (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=257141)

Philip Fisher Oct 3rd, 2016 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2175434)
This was the latest post, hmmm.

"There's an old joke that sums up the Range Rover brand.

"Why don't the British make computers anymore? Because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.""

There is the Australian joke isn't there, "If you want to go into the outback take a Land Rover, if you want to come back again take a Landcruiser...."

Philip Fisher Oct 3rd, 2016 09:42

Anyway, back on topic.

I rang my dealer this morning.

They know all about the recall.

My car is booked in for 2 weeks time - at my request - because by then the service will be close enough to be due and they can do service and recall work at the same time.

I will report back after this is done.

neon Oct 3rd, 2016 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2175723)
There is the Australian joke isn't there, "If you want to go into the outback take a Land Rover, if you want to come back again take a Landcruiser...."

This is the latest post, charming. Any funny Volvo sayings?. No problem when Donald Trump gets in and makes America great again there will be no need to buy foreign cars.

"I have owned 7 land rovers in my life. Defenders and discoveries. I despise the new look. It's the Kardashianizing of the company. It no longer looks like a real truck and I am done with the brand. Very sad. Land Rovers were always real trucks. Now they are for rich posing douche bags."

Lexman8 Oct 3rd, 2016 12:15

I'd be curious to find out what the recall inspection actually involves. Are they going to just check for damp carpets or will they physically check the drain hose and (all) its connections? If it's the former, it might be okay on the day they check but not okay another time. If it's the latter, does it involve dismantling anything? Getting to the connection between the drain hose and the evaporator could be very difficult.

I'm left wondering if the check is going to be 100% reliable.

BTXC90 Oct 3rd, 2016 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2175803)
I'd be curious to find out what the recall inspection actually involves. Are they going to just check for damp carpets or will they physically check the drain hose and (all) its connections? If it's the former, it might be okay on the day they check but not okay another time. If it's the latter, does it involve dismantling anything? Getting to the connection between the drain hose and the evaporator could be very difficult.

I'm left wondering if the check is going to be 100% reliable.

I had emailed my dealer on Sunday, 2 days after posting the XC90 recall link here. Expecting he would have been informed by Volvo or some other UK dealers by then.

Reply - This is the first time I have come across this. Thanks for letting me know. I will check for details from service department and let you know.

I think customers are quicker to know issues than the dealers or support teams due to the online forums these days.

I would expect a global brand to send out communication to all the dealers as soon as they come across something like this, it would sound and feel much better if they said 'Yes Sir, we are aware of this issue and Volvo is working on fixing the issue or rolling out a fix'

Philip Fisher Oct 3rd, 2016 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTXC90 (Post 2175828)
I had emailed my dealer on Sunday, 2 days after posting the XC90 recall link here. Expecting he would have been informed by Volvo or some other UK dealers by then.

Reply - This is the first time I have come across this. Thanks for letting me know. I will check for details from service department and let you know.

I think customers are quicker to know issues than the dealers or support teams due to the online forums these days.

I would expect a global brand to send out communication to all the dealers as soon as they come across something like this, it would sound and feel much better if they said 'Yes Sir, we are aware of this issue and Volvo is working on fixing the issue or rolling out a fix'

I think that dealers across the country are patchy in their knowledge and competence.

The key is to find a good one, get to know them, let them get to know you and work with them.

Credit to my dealer, the service guy I always speak to immediately knew exactly what I was talking about. They had seen one of the cars which had come in with the symptoms before the recall and so I guess this helped, but as usual they were helpful and knowledgeable.

basoom Oct 3rd, 2016 15:35

I echoes Philips comments..
I found the dealer I deal with really helpful and the sales person always curteous and proffesional
I emailed him today about the recall, emailed me back within 15 minutes, said will check and come back to me, again emailed back within 15 minutes with clear plan in place. Yes the service department aware of the recall which came out last week.

GMTRB5 Oct 3rd, 2016 21:21

Spoke to my dealer this morning .. they have booked me in for an inspection which they estimate will take about 1 hour in total, and once this is complete they will know whether the work needs to be carried out.

I'm taking it in next Friday so will see what the inspection shows...!

neon Oct 3rd, 2016 21:45

My dealer emailed me today with the following:

"Apparently this recall was raised on the 26th Sept but only instruction to check when car comes in for any other reason and not specifically to recall all cars already delivered.

I will dig a bit deeper with regard to chassis ranges etc...

If in the rare case of a major Safety Related issue you would receive correspondence direct to you from Volvo."

Philip Fisher Oct 3rd, 2016 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2176083)
My dealer emailed me today with the following:

"Apparently this recall was raised on the 26th Sept but only instruction to check when car comes in for any other reason and not specifically to recall all cars already delivered.

I will dig a bit deeper with regard to chassis ranges etc...

If in the rare case of a major Safety Related issue you would receive correspondence direct to you from Volvo."

That is absolutely NOT the impression I got from my dealer this morning. "Just check when it is next in the shop" could mean up to 12 months wait.......

The last recall concerned the seemingly innocent "reduced air con performance" and that was a recall on paper with the VOSA logo on it.....