Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's the problem with electric cars? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330305)

Fastpatsilents Oct 18th, 2023 16:02

Interesting thread

https://twitter.com/colinwalker79/st...cLIgsowuw&s=19

Thekilt Oct 20th, 2023 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 2918889)
no they are Not but you can not accept that, will not accept that

you ARE part of the problem, a huge part with that mind-set

child slave labour to make your batteries, huge environmental impact all round,, and they are "far superior"

can you not get it into your brain washed head
not EVERYONE swallows the brain washing like you have, Some think for themselves and do NOT want EV , never will work as "THE" solution and are not "far superior" at all, but no brain washed evangelical, have an IGNORE your bleating drivel is just that

I think you will find you are brain washed basing your information on fake news and no validated information. I work in botht he oil and Gas industry and the power industry, and know the background of suppliers (excluding Chinese where the potential slave labour is sourced). As I have previously said, know eletric cars are not for everyone, and you can happily keep your ICE car, I also have an ICE car as well as my Electric car, but its natural development of the motor car, which has happened in the past. Electric at present eleminates many other parts, and simplifies the running system. That alone is a beneift. Better technology will develop, but it wont delevelop until there is a demand for it, which there is now with electric cars. Preivously with only hand held devices requiring Lion batteries, there was no drive to develop the tehcnology in the way you see now. There are many more scientists working on alternatives and new solutions which will come to fruitition to eliminate mining of these materials.

Hydrogen may develop for other applications, and i am all for that as well, however its still not as simplified as battery vehicles. I am more concerned about driving around with a high pressure tank of hydrogen in my boot than the cells in my car.

Wagon Sailor Oct 20th, 2023 10:26

We were driving in Dorset yesterday as heavy rain met dusk to severely reduce visibility. The road was subject to a 50mph limit, which was probably 10mph too fast anyway. Rounding a curve we came up behind an electric car driven by somebody who presumably had range anxiety. The Hyundai was travelling at 25mph without lights.
We followed it for about 4 miles before it turned into a coffee shop car park. It was unworthy of me, I know, but I must confess to an element of schadenfreude when I noticed a that all the charging points were occupied.

The Thong Oct 20th, 2023 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor (Post 2919131)
We were driving in Dorset yesterday as heavy rain met dusk to severely reduce visibility. The road was subject to a 50mph limit, which was probably 10mph too fast anyway. Rounding a curve we came up behind an electric car driven by somebody who presumably had range anxiety. The Hyundai was travelling at 25mph without lights.
We followed it for about 4 miles before it turned into a coffee shop car park. It was unworthy of me, I know, but I must confess to an element of schadenfreude when I noticed a that all the charging points were occupied.

I had a chap pootling along in his Tesla 40mph in a 50mph. I thought he was driving slow to save on sparks until we came to a set of lights. I pulled up on his right to get passed him and when the lights changed he vanished into the next dimension….. Muppet. They do like to remind people how quick they accelerate.

TT

uknowiama Oct 21st, 2023 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forg (Post 2909645)
Every grunt & their dog in Sydney operates a top-of-the-range dual-cab Hilux or Ranger, and has for over a decade. EV weights aren't a thing, at least not 'til everyone's buying electric Dodgey Rams & Canyoneros to keep up in the road-bullying race.

I don't drive an EV, but two of the sets of chargers are near where I park at the local shopping centre. I've seen the set-of-three full, but the bank of what I think is about 10-12 hasn't ever been full that I've seen - and I usually get around to shopping at around 10am-11am on a Saturday or Sunday.

My wife's going through a desire to see movies on half-price Tuesday in the day-beds, every week, and one strange thing I HAVE noticed recently is Teslas arriving to charge at times between 9pm & 11pm. I dunno if they're parking there all night & live in one of the nearby unit blocks, or if they're doing their groceries late at night so nobody else will be around ... one fair hypothesis is also that the chargers DO get full at times when I've not been there.

My mate has a model 3 as company car. We took a road trip to Duxford IWM from South Wales. Got first hand experience of charging with Tesla. So the cost of charging on tesla superchargers varies during the day as it does on the grid electricity prices do. Could be other factors as well. Presume they are turning up later at night to take advantage of cheaper prices. There is also a penalty charge if you over stay in the charging spot once your car has been charged, encouraging you to free it up as soon as possible for the next person.

Tannaton Oct 21st, 2023 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by uknowiama (Post 2919238)
My mate has a model 3 as company car. We took a road trip to Duxford IWM from South Wales. Got first hand experience of charging with Tesla. So the cost of charging on tesla superchargers varies during the day as it does on the grid electricity prices do. Could be other factors as well. Presume they are turning up later at night to take advantage of cheaper prices. There is also a penalty charge if you over stay in the charging spot once your car has been charged, encouraging you to free it up as soon as possible for the next person.

Could be irritating for many but does show that Tesla have thought it through properly - all those factors will allow them to charge as cheaply as possible and maximise availability of charging stations.

Thekilt Oct 21st, 2023 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2919240)
Could be irritating for many but does show that Tesla have thought it through properly - all those factors will allow them to charge as cheaply as possible and maximise availability of charging stations.

Also to add, the “idle fee” charges apply at £1 per minute when you reach your charge, but are waived if you move within 5 minutes. They are also waived if the charge station is at less than 50% occupancy and doubled if at 100% capacity. As you said they have definitely thought about it. And a lot cheaper than other chargers, which are generally 50p/kw or above.

With regards to the Hyundai driver, I find that no matter what speed I travel, once your up at the speed you aren’t using much power. I tend to get up to speed as quickly as possible and cruise. Could have just been another oblivious driver. I don’t have range anxiety, but I currently have charging anxiety at home as I’m still on the three pin plug (2.3kw/h). I’m waiting for a specific charger to be released to match my PV and battery set up. So when we get low on charge I know it takes ages to charge back up. When using a 7kw charger it charges a lot quicker!

Tannaton Oct 21st, 2023 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thekilt (Post 2919253)
Also to add, the “idle fee” charges apply at £1 per minute when you reach your charge, but are waived if you move within 5 minutes. They are also waived if the charge station is at less than 50% occupancy and doubled if at 100% capacity. As you said they have definitely thought about it. And a lot cheaper than other chargers, which are generally 50p/kw or above.

Presumably there is an app and it tells you when you're charged, in case your sat in Costa - and you have 5 mins to go and move it?

lizawong Nov 1st, 2023 10:51

I also think there is an app for that.

Simmy Nov 2nd, 2023 15:12

iv just watched 2 well known youtube bloggers do a run from john o groats to lands end with some very interesting outcomes . diesel or electric which would you choose after watching this vid.