Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Amazon Estate Rolling Project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123242)

Burdekin Apr 2nd, 2021 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillberry (Post 2724728)
She is coming on lovely, we have just got to the paint stage on ours and will hopefully go see her next week 💙

What are you getting done. The rear quarters design is just a big rust trap, no wonder they go in this area.

gillberry Apr 2nd, 2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdekin (Post 2724743)
What are you getting done. The rear quarters design is just a big rust trap, no wonder they go in this area.

Everything she went in for wings and a bonnet but one thing lead to another. We have had rear quarters made among a lot of other things hopefully back sometime this year

Burdekin Apr 2nd, 2021 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillberry (Post 2724746)
Everything she went in for wings and a bonnet but one thing lead to another. We have had rear quarters made among a lot of other things hopefully back sometime this year

Good stuff. Double check the work at the rear especially, it's a tricky area to fix and easily the hardest area on the car to do properly. I'd recommend another small drain hole in the area under the rear brake lights and get them to seam seal everything in between coats of epoxy primer. Done right and you shouldn't have to touch it again but have seen plenty of estates bodged in the rear.

BLS07 Apr 2nd, 2021 23:11

Heya Burdekin,

Have been working my way through reading this thread & seeing your work, all 60 pages are great reads & terrific insights. Thanks!

Tremendous work & thanks for sharing it all.
Aspirational for this shade tree..
Bloody brilliant!

Looking forward to see more as & when.

Cheers!
BLS07

Burdekin Apr 3rd, 2021 18:21

1 Attachment(s)
Got the lower panel tacked in, not perfect but not terrible either. 50 plug welds just on that wee panel.

Burdekin Apr 18th, 2021 20:45

5 Attachment(s)
Off for work for a week but will get the Amazon on the rotisserie when I’m back. Will be getting her media blasted and epoxy primed. The end is in sight for welding the shell.

Burdekin May 6th, 2021 20:12

4 Attachment(s)
All ready for blasting and epoxy priming on Saturday.

142 Guy May 8th, 2021 17:33

That has to be the narrowest garage in the world. You must be one thin dude, or very flexible in order to be able to work on the car while it is in there. My back muscles develop involuntary spasms just thinking about trying to work in those conditions.

Derek UK May 10th, 2021 13:11

The first 2 pictures show plenty of room to the side to work in. Garages big enough for a small family to live in aren't common in the UK! :cool:

Burdekin May 10th, 2021 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by 142 Guy (Post 2735300)
That has to be the narrowest garage in the world. You must be one thin dude, or very flexible in order to be able to work on the car while it is in there. My back muscles develop involuntary spasms just thinking about trying to work in those conditions.

This is the entrance to the main area of my workshop and the best/only place for it to be media blasted as it can be sealed off from the other areas of the workshop. The workshop is about 150m2 in total and divided into 5 areas, the main workshop area you can comfortably fit two cars with my workbench, metal shaping equipment and blasting cabinet. I also have a big racking area for storage, a kitchen, toilet and lounge area, a small workshop and a machine shop area. I have a rotary converter for 3 phase to run my M300 lathe, Harrison milling machine and pedestal drill. Also have a full size english wheel I built, mig, tig etc etc. It has three multifuel stoves and electric heating.

It's in the middle of the city so as you can imagine there's not a lot of workshop space about so it's not perfect but I'm not complaining. :-) I looked for years for something and my wife talked me into buying this and turning it into what I wanted. It's also a 5min walk to the high st, 5min walk to the beach front and 10min walk home.