Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555)

craigv60 Jan 21st, 2015 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux (Post 1831761)
I guess there will always be some teething problems with a brand new engine and modifications are always likely to be needed. As long as they are fixable relatively easily with [hopefully] no further issues then that would be a bonus.

To a certain degree we have all been guinea pigs.

Agreed. At the moment, for the majority of owners it seems to be just a check engine light, and the inconvenience of a visit to the dealer.

As yet it hasn't escalated to the level that Mercedes had with Delphi injectors on its BlueEfficiency diesel models around 2010/11 - these had a huge failure rate leading to massive back-orders from dealers. Made worse by the fact that M-B's policy was to only replace the individual failed injectors, not all of them at the same time, meaning some owners had multiple failures and dealer visits over a period of months.

Let's hope this doesn't happen with the VEA motor!

emjga Jan 21st, 2015 13:00

Volvo Aberdeen have checked this and did the following
fault traced through vida & found ECM software out of date
Downloaded latest version and erased codes

So far look fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emjga (Post 1831186)
My S60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav (181hp)
Had Engine check come on over the weekend.
Registered Dec 2013
Purchased Nov 2014
Miles current 8700

Going in to dealer 21st Jan
No idea if it is related to this thread.

Arianne Jan 21st, 2015 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by emjga (Post 1831884)
Volvo Aberdeen have checked this and did the following
fault traced through vida & found ECM software out of date
Downloaded latest version and erased codes

So far look fine.

Keep an eye on it though.......this is what my dealer did at first. They explained their plan - start by erasing the fault codes and then, if it reoccurs, bring it back and replace the EGR. It reoccurred! EGR replaced. Took a few days to reappear, that's all.

Of course, your issue might well be different but thought this might help if it crops up again.

Arianne

craigv60 Jan 23rd, 2015 12:59

Update - my dealer contacted me just now to say they have the second updated versions of the EGR valves in from Sweden.

If you're waiting, contact your dealer.

pmw1971 Jan 26th, 2015 23:13

Just out of interest I had my EGR done at 6k after a warning light. Mpg these days is about 35, reading on here folks seem to have quite varied mpg even on similar journeys. Could these two be related; poor mpg and duff EGR?

Harvey1512 Jan 27th, 2015 09:10

Could be. Mine goes in today and mpg has been around the 40-41mpg mark for the last month or so. If it improves after the fix then the answer will be yes. If it doesn't then clearly any impact is negligible. (okay, not a scientifically wide survey but I'll post anyway. If others do the same then we may see a pattern)

craigv60 Jan 27th, 2015 09:59

My mpg hasn't really changed since I got the 'check engine' light -- certainly nothing that can't be explained by the recent cold weather / short trips.

On longer trips the fuel economy quickly rises to early 50s mpg, just as it was before the check light came on.

emjga Jan 29th, 2015 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arianne (Post 1831909)
Keep an eye on it though.......this is what my dealer did at first. They explained their plan - start by erasing the fault codes and then, if it reoccurs, bring it back and replace the EGR. It reoccurred! EGR replaced. Took a few days to reappear, that's all.

Of course, your issue might well be different but thought this might help if it crops up again.

Arianne

Looks like I am back in the Volvo again with the same issue.
Will see what they do this time

craigv60 Jan 30th, 2015 21:12

Mine was replaced yesterday, no detectable change in driving behaviour or economy from what I can see (which is as it should be, of course).

pmw1971 Feb 3rd, 2015 22:08

I had the EGR valve replaced at around 5k, and the light came on again at just over 10k last week. It's going in to be looked at next week, but when I put an OBD scanner in the car to have a look, it was the EGR fault code as before.

Anyone else been through 2 EGR valves in < 12 months ?