Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   850 tdi upgrade project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221869)

martin_r_smith Jul 30th, 2016 10:38

I don't care too much about egt to be honest more emp, which is what that copper coil out the manifold is for. Egt is a by product of high emp which should be as close as possible to inlet charge pressure.

I have modified the manifold to suit my needs now, it looks the same but not on the inside.

I only use a manual boost controller, the original bcs won't work with many other turbos due to the way it works.

I have a problem at the moment where the boost will not go over 24psi, even with the wastegate jammed shut. I have a feeling the wastegate isn't sealing properly and letting gas out rather than spinning the turbo.

vololic3 Jul 30th, 2016 19:19

so you would use a boost gauge to measure emp?Wouldnt that melt the gauge?I surpose egt is a byproduct of the internal combustion engine and all the heat should be used in the bang,not wasted down the exhaust.

martin_r_smith Jul 30th, 2016 22:27

I do yes, the copper coil disipates the heat before it reaches the gauge. It works so well you can hold the copper pipe in your fingers!

Egt is caused by the exhaust manifold pressure getting too high but also by incomplete combustion in the cylinder. The high emp is caused by a restriction in getting the gases out through the turbo, normally because it's too small, or an exhaust restriction.

vololic3 Aug 2nd, 2016 09:29

Going back to your leak, my vw has a manual waste gate and you can only achieve 1 bar even with using a mechanical boost controler,sometimes you can hear the gate leaking and you have to back off and floor it again.I cant decide weather to build a new exhaust manifold or adapt the old one,it seems a shame to waste the full potential of the turbo.The dificulty is getting the right pipe size 1 1/4 being the nearest,slightly oversize to them oval ports.If thats what I use and its too free flowing Ill loose some boost or create lag.What emp does yours get 24psi?

vololic3 Sep 10th, 2016 09:50

Dear Martin
Ive triedposting this as a new post,me and computers, it took one and a half hours to type, wont load, please read and any surgestions?
Hi Im pritty new to the forum, but Ive read most of the posts,tried most idears and now runinning out of road.I brought a 850 tdi with a broken camshaft from ebay a few years ago and ended up doing a complete engine recon, to include a rebore and turbo, so it got very expensive, so I now cant afford an expert even if I could find someone who realy knows the 850 tdi.Also had the injectors tested and where advised they where shot, so ordered some 0.240 hi flow nozzles and had them set, which turned out cheaper than standard ones.Once I reasembled I set pump timing with dti and after priming pump it started first turn.Then the real fun started-an engine man light,1 autoelectrican and an ecu test- poorer no joy,so I carried on my own,changed erg ,boost soliod, still no joy, then someone surjested an airflow meter,I tried my spare-success!!

Now to tune-but could I find a mapper with my non standard setup-decat+erg removeal and smoking nozzles.So after consideration I brought the last ronbox for sale and a digi s controler to up grade to a GTB 2056 V turbo at a later date. I went to a farm road to do some testing,tried it all,even bypassing the waste gate for a cupple of runs which was quite frightening, it made 30 psi boost,now got it set at 20psi with the aid of a mbc.Now it does seem quite fast, but no wheel spin,after all the stories you read you expect it to break traction now and again.This leads me to think its not quite right, exhaust temp doesnt exceed 600 and exhaust preasure maxs out at 29 psi,brought new temp sensor, ordered new map sensor, the last thing I can try is buying vol-fcr to check timing, but no funds.It does now struggle to start a little,but I put it down to the injectors extra fuel, blanked erg and summer- no glow plugs,

Does anyone have any sugestions otherwise it looks as though I will have to save up and find an expert.Any help much apreciated

martin_r_smith Dec 21st, 2016 20:23

It's a sad day for me, the car is dead :(

Unfortunately she suffered oil pump failure resulting in unrepairable engine damage. It breaks my heart to do it after all the work I've put in too it but I will be breaking it for parts rather than repairing. There are going to be a lot of custom parts up for sale soon including:

Custom manifold adapted for T3 flange.
3" stainless downpipe for td04 exhaust housing.
Custom bracket for actuator (needed when using td04 or holset.
Custom oil lines for td04/holset
Smoothed inlet manifold (see pics in thread)
0.240 dssr injectors.
Holset HE221W turbo (once I've had it checked)
Fuel cooler setup.
Oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate and custom lines.
Custom top intercooler/inlet pipe with boss welded for 3 bar map sensor (including wiring harness).
Big intercooler and all custom pipework from turbo to inlet.

And probably other bits too. I would be willing to do a deal for everything and also help with mapping too.

Let me know if you want anything.

Ninjabob81 Dec 22nd, 2016 19:37

Jesus.... gutted!! Is there anything salvageable from the motor?? In my experience the turbo and cams/cam bearing surfaces cop it first, have you whipped the cam cover off and had a peek? Oil pressure lamp warn you a little too late?

Foeux Dec 22nd, 2016 20:09

Bugger.

You are the most meticulous, adventurous and devoted to fettler.

Does this have to be the end?

martin_r_smith Dec 22nd, 2016 20:30

No warning light no. It still had enough oil pressure to keep running but not enough to prevent significant damage. The turbo is going to he sent away in January to be checked over and rebuilt if needed.

It is going to be the end Fred yes. I'm going to T5 it up for a bit and see what happens. If i can replicate the success of the diesel in a T5 then I have a very exciting and fast future ahead of me.

I will still help anyone that needs it with the tdi though, I've learnt a lot over the past 5 years! And now I can do the mapping myself others have an advantage that I didn't when I started.

Ade B Dec 24th, 2016 01:25

Badtimes! A sad end!

Wish I had a bit more cash just now, and could have bought some TDi kit from you!

vololic3 Dec 24th, 2016 10:39

Martin just read your post dead engine, dont give up! 5 years hard graft deserves more than a 5 minute decision, give it till after Christmas. I have a spare engine that I would be happy donate parts or you could ebay a donor engine as no one wants them now. I would be happy to come and lend you a hand the first 2 weeks of jan. If I cant change your mind after Christmas Ill be the first in the que to buy a load of parts, esp that remaped ecu.

have a nice Christmas john

martin_r_smith Dec 28th, 2016 17:43

Right I'll be starting to break this after the weekend so let me know what parts you want. I'll put prices up later.

At the moment the injectors are spoken for.

doingitsideways Dec 28th, 2016 18:24

Sad times :(

Let the vultures begin their work...

Boost pipework and exhaust?

martin_r_smith Dec 28th, 2016 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by doingitsideways (Post 2214010)
Sad times :(

Let the vultures begin their work...

Boost pipework and exhaust?

3" Downpipe has an angled flange td04 fitment reducing to 2.5", it's a GWE one of a v70 t5 that we altered to fit. Exhaust is just a 2.5" standard system with no cat so not worth selling on. I would want £150 for the downpipe or £225 with turbine housing and adapted exhaust manifold.

Boost pipes are really only useful if you have the turbo and intercooler as a set and that will be in the region of £475.

doingitsideways Dec 28th, 2016 19:02

Ah, fair enough.

martin_r_smith Dec 28th, 2016 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by doingitsideways (Post 2214023)
Ah, fair enough.

You just need a remap! ;)

EMM Dec 28th, 2016 21:25

If it's a manual could I have the leather gaitor including the clips that clip it into the centre console.

Can post a picture tomorrow if needs be

martin_r_smith Dec 28th, 2016 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMM (Post 2214093)
If it's a manual could I have the leather gaitor including the clips that clip it into the centre console.

Can post a picture tomorrow if needs be

You can mate yes. I'll let you know when it's out.

martin_r_smith Dec 30th, 2016 09:38

Quick list of parts performance parts available. I'm also breaking the whole lot so all normal 850 parts available to.

Custom manifold adapted for T3 flange £75
3" stainless downpipe for td04 exhaust housing £150
Custom bracket for actuator (needed when using td04 or holset) £20
Custom oil lines for td04/holset £30
Working MAF £25
Smoothed inlet manifold (see pics in thread) £40
0.240 dssr injectors £275 RESERVED
Holset HE221W turbo (once I've had it checked) £350
Fuel cooler setup £25
Oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate and custom lines £125
Custom top intercooler/inlet pipe with boss welded for 3 bar map sensor (including wiring harness) £40
Big 70mm intercooler and all custom pipework from turbo to inlet £150
Socketed ECU with custom tune (3 of these available at the moment) £175 each

petrohl34d Dec 30th, 2016 20:03

Sorry to hear this Martin, I'm absolutely gutted for you!

Only for the fact that my V is an unreliable pig, I'd take some bits of you for sure.

martin_r_smith Jan 2nd, 2017 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrohl34d (Post 2214951)
Sorry to hear this Martin, I'm absolutely gutted for you!

Only for the fact that my V is an unreliable pig, I'd take some bits of you for sure.

What's wrong with yours?

doingitsideways Jan 2nd, 2017 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_r_smith (Post 2215869)
What's wrong with yours?

^^^^ What he said ^^^^

My 850TDi is by far and away the most reliable car I've ever bought - they just don't go wrong!

Irony:
I spent £10k on a nice V8 XC90 for the family for Christmas.
The missus doesn't like it and refuses to drive it.
I'm currently sat in the middle of football traffic awaiting recovery because it's broken down.

Wouldn't have happened with my 850!