Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Stereo/DVD: DIY RSE Solution Part 2- Camera & Integration - Guide (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108174)

nyc951 Jan 11th, 2011 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestGear (Post 790966)
BIG reply here so I will do my best... that is some amount of questions!

David et al,

Thank you for the replies and information. I went ahead and ordered the video interface from Volvotech as you suggested. My plan is to install a front and rear camera on our 2008 XC90.

I found this camera on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLVO-XC90-SERIE...item3f037247db

Should I get the CMOS or CCD version? The CCD version costs twice as much - is it worth the extra money?

Thanks again guys,

S (from the USA)

BestGear Jan 11th, 2011 18:23

HI

CCD cameras are nearly always better than CMOS - typically they have better resolution (usually being newer designs) plus are better in low light and offer lower image noise. This is of benefit when its dark and you want to see behind you! - my camera needs no more light than the reversing lights on the vehicle.

I say typically as obvioulsy the high end of CMOS could compete with low end CCD. At the same price point, CCD should be better.

The other thing to consider is if you want reversing guide lines onthe display - some cameras have it, some not.

Lastly - just ensure that the camera is PAL 50 or the satnav screen will show you some rolling lines on the screen....

David

nyc951 Jan 11th, 2011 20:55

Hi David:

I'll search for a nice CCD camera. Do you know of a reasonably-priced model, besides the ones on eBay? Are the ones on eBay any good?

I have a 2008 XC90 - the info on the Volvotech site seems to indicate I need NTSC. Is that your understanding? Did Volvo switch from PAL to NTSC after a certain model year?

Thanks

BestGear Jan 12th, 2011 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc951 (Post 815494)
Hi David:

I'll search for a nice CCD camera. Do you know of a reasonably-priced model, besides the ones on eBay? Are the ones on eBay any good?

I have a 2008 XC90 - the info on the Volvotech site seems to indicate I need NTSC. Is that your understanding? Did Volvo switch from PAL to NTSC after a certain model year?

Thanks

Hi

As far as I have been told they are all PAL.

To confirm, if you email Bob or one of the other guys at team@volvotech.eu they will confirm 100%. They are top guys and provide excellent support.

If you check with Volvotech first, then confirm which style of rear number plate light you have - then go camera shopping. To be honest, given the low prices on ebay it would be very hard to beat the price. The Volvotech cameras are of higher price but are guaranteed to fit and work well.

David

nyc951 Jan 27th, 2011 03:04

Hi David,

I have the Volvotech break-in box and have the cameras (NTSC) on order. I'd like to add the diode to the back-up lamp wire as you did. Can you tell me what size/spec diode to get? And did you simply add a 12V wire to the rear camera wire to manually trigger the camera?

Thanks again.

nyc951 Jan 27th, 2011 05:27

One more question: Is there a wire around the gear shifter area that turns +12V when I put the car into reverse? If so, I'd like to tap into that wire to automatically turn on the rear view camera when the car is in reverse. It'd be so much easier than running a wire all the way to the tail lamps.

Thanks

BestGear Jan 27th, 2011 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc951 (Post 826601)
Hi David,

I have the Volvotech break-in box and have the cameras (NTSC) on order. I'd like to add the diode to the back-up lamp wire as you did. Can you tell me what size/spec diode to get? And did you simply add a 12V wire to the rear camera wire to manually trigger the camera?

Thanks again.

Firstly - did you check that NTSC is ok?

Diode - a simple 1N4001 is fine - you can get that anywhere.

Switch - yes, simply add whatever switch suits where you will mount it. The diode goes between the reversing lights and the volvotech box, and the switch between 12v and the volvotech box... so the switch does not light your reversing lights.

David

nyc951 Jan 27th, 2011 19:25

Bob at Volvotech said my 2008 car is NTSC, so I hope he's right!

Thank you for the tips. Now I just need to find a wire around the gear shifter that turns +12V when the shifter is put into Reverse.

BestGear Jan 27th, 2011 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc951 (Post 827118)
Bob at Volvotech said my 2008 car is NTSC, so I hope he's right!

Thank you for the tips. Now I just need to find a wire around the gear shifter that turns +12V when the shifter is put into Reverse.

Bob will be right - no reason to doubt these guys.

12V on reverse? I just wan a wire from the rear when I ran the video cable for the camera - no extra work really and was easy peasy to find!

David

nyc951 Feb 4th, 2011 18:44

I have the break-in box and camera now:thumbs_up:

Where did you hide your video cables that run from the rear of the car? Port or starboard side trim panels at the lower door openings?

Thanks again.