Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Root cause of high oil consumption in VEA diesel engines? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316027)

volvogoteborg Feb 1st, 2024 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2728859)
I put a post in the V60 forum a couple weeks ago because I was considering changing to a V60 with a D4 VEA. I'd read your threads in the S80 etc section so was aware of the oil consumption issues. I very nearly chopped my S80 in for very reasonably priced V60 and backed out due to this very issue. I can't live with buying a car which is very likely, if not already to have this issue. Its a huge shame because it's taken away my trust in the brand and the comfiest seats I've ever sat in.

I found a post on Swedespeed which reckoned engines after a certain number - 1501327 had modified parts, but it still feels like a big risk to take.

After engine 1501327 both petrol and diesel engines had modified pistons and rings?

volvogoteborg Feb 1st, 2024 10:16

I note from above that that's from around mid-2016 too.

Clan Feb 1st, 2024 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvogoteborg (Post 2933869)
I note from above that that's from around mid-2016 too.

Volvo redesigned the piston oil control rings and introduced that change in 2016 from engine number 1501327 true, And before that it is by no means certain that ALL engines suffer from this problem. Its down to certain driving situations which cause this. However you cant easily fix it if the car you buy before this engine number has the problem. Maybe someone does a fluid which dissolves carbon deposits , you could pour it in the bores and let it soak for a few days? Who knows... You would be wealthy if you could devise a method !

Kev0607 Feb 16th, 2024 21:43

What an interesting thread... thank you for posting.

So if you buy an early D4 and oil consumption increases, what's the actual fix? Then when you get it fixed, the same problem can return?

Clan Feb 16th, 2024 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2936414)
What an interesting thread... thank you for posting.

So if you buy an early D4 and oil consumption increases, what's the actual fix? Then when you get it fixed, the same problem can return?

you have new pistons and rings fitted they are an improved type..

these were fitted in the factory from engine Number 1501327

Baffler Feb 16th, 2024 23:13

Plus see Rob3583's findings in the following threads using medicinal BDSO to release carbon deposit build up:

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

D4 VEA EGR…. what we now know….

Will be interesting to see/hear how this goes for him 🤔

Baffler Feb 16th, 2024 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2936423)

Clan, this has probably been asked already but, is there enough clearance to fit new pistons via the sump or does the crank need complete removal?

Clan Feb 17th, 2024 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 2936430)
Clan, this has probably been asked already but, is there enough clearance to fit new pistons via the sump or does the crank need complete removal?

It should be possible , you can get the sump off ok , but will have to remove the balancer unit. and that MUST be aligned with a volvo special tool when refitting to prevent whine and excessive wear .

Kev0607 Feb 17th, 2024 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2936423)

Sounds expensive. :speechless-smiley-5

Slevin Feb 23rd, 2024 20:45

No way you can slide the pistons in from the bottom. I have never seen any engine with that much space among the main bearings not to mention the piston ring compressor...