Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Wheels/Tyres: Anyone else getting their Winter tyres ready? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134682)

Daim Sep 23rd, 2011 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Refskegg (Post 991088)
Think winter tyres also help with braking grip due to the softer compound.

Just put a set of Quatrac 3 SUV all seasons on my XC90 (yes, these all-seasons DO have a winter rating)

You have just shown, that AWD doesn't grant 4 wheel braking and have also proven common sense, when buying tyres ;) :) :thumbs_up:

Daim Sep 23rd, 2011 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman_returns (Post 991095)
I bet they do! Just like Nike reckon you'll run faster in their trainers!

I think I'll save my minimum of £200 tyre money + the money for a set of wheels to put them on and go on holiday to Spain for the week or 2 that we might have a bit of snow in the winter.

It is your choice... If I catch your bonnet stuck in the boot of my car (will probably never happen) or in someone elses and post it here, wait for me to say:

"You should have..." ;)

But to all their own... :)

Bendolfc Sep 23rd, 2011 21:39

Looking at a set of these http://www.alcar.de/ArticleImages/TREBL.jpg from My Tyres.

Winter complete wheel for VOLVO S40 2.0 D (Type M 100kW), Rim DEZENT RE dark 6.50 x 16 (LK 5/108, OS 50) with Kumho KW27 M+S marking 205/55 R16 94V

Comes to £632.00 delivered. However I need to wait until I'm paid at the end of the month as I'm currently broke having replaced 2 wheel bearing, had it serviced and then had to replace the alternator. Insurance is also due next month :(.

Just hoping they don't start to rise in price before I'm paid.

P.s. oddly those alloys are actually cheaper than the steel wheels they supply.

James_N Sep 23rd, 2011 23:44

My S2000 did really well on Uniroyal Rainsport tyres when I had it. I sweared by these tyres. When everyone else was getting stuck, these were great, and they aren't even proper winter tyres!

My 940 has some no name Triangle tyres on, and will most probably be fine. Never got stuck in my 740 when i had that, regardless of the tyres on it, so im sure the 940 will be fine.

Prufrock Sep 24th, 2011 20:13

Awaiting delivery (expected mid October) of set of Vredestein Snowtrac 3s, apparently best winter tyre available (ADAC etc).

Going on a set of steel wheels.

Good price too.

Prufrock.

gmain1967 Sep 24th, 2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman_returns (Post 990972)
Winter tyres?
C'mon gents, if you didn't buy tyres that resembled elastic bands you wouldn't need a set of different tyres for the winter.

If you didn't have winter tyres on up here last November/December, you weren't going anywhere for a while. I put them on the S70 T5 I had - even perfectly legal tyres couldn't get me up the slope to my mates tyre depot. they do make the difference.

Pandamedic Sep 25th, 2011 01:47

Apparently we're having an Indian summer into October! But once that's over and winter bears down on us we'll be getting our winter tyres out.

I've got the Nokian WRG2 for my Volvo and they did great last year.

Wife's got the snowtrac 3 for her little car

CTCNetwork Sep 25th, 2011 02:46

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by tt82 (Post 990980)
Driving with winter tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7B52qQ_t8k

What a lot of people tend to forget, especially those with 4x4 or awd is that it might be ok for getting you going but when it comes to stoping you have just the same grip as a normal car on summer tyres. Your brakes are no different from any others.

If you have the same grip on normal summer tyres - what, exactly, is the point of winter tyres??!!
I suspect that you do actually have better stopping power because of winter or rain tyres... Brake are the same. Tyres aren't - and THAT makes the difference.

BTW you don't have the Gentle Touch CD do you?

Des. . . ;)

tt82 Sep 25th, 2011 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTCNetwork (Post 991759)
Hi,

If you have the same grip on normal summer tyres - what, exactly, is the point of winter tyres??!!
I suspect that you do actually have better stopping power because of winter or rain tyres... Brake are the same. Tyres aren't - and THAT makes the difference.

BTW you don't have the Gentle Touch CD do you?

Des. . . ;)

Perhaps "lack of grip" may have been a better choice of words. A car with 4x4 or awd will have better traction in snow when setting off using regular summer tyres, when compared to a fwd or rwd car due to all 4 wheels being driven. However when it comes to braking a 4x4 or awd is no superior to a fwd or rwd car, therefore they will have the same loss of traction when using summer tyres in snow.

Havent got the Gentle Touch CD but it has been on my Amazon wish list for a while now, think I may end up treating myself to it at some point.

t5_monkey Sep 25th, 2011 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt82 (Post 991767)
Perhaps "lack of grip" may have been a better choice of words. A car with 4x4 or awd will have better traction in snow when setting off using regular summer tyres, when compared to a fwd or rwd car due to all 4 wheels being driven. However when it comes to braking a 4x4 or awd is no superior to a fwd or rwd car, therefore they will have the same loss of traction when using summer tyres in snow.

Havent got the Gentle Touch CD but it has been on my Amazon wish list for a while now, think I may end up treating myself to it at some point.

I agree.... 4wd just gets you to the accident faster compared to 4wd unless you physically can't move the car then it's superior.