Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   1 owner 17000 miles from new 240 glt auto (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136265)

skidje Nov 2nd, 2011 12:20

the 89 model will for sure have the AW70/71 auto tranny.

so see comments of minesa 240 x 3. Go for it...

capt jack Nov 2nd, 2011 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUR71V (Post 1016456)
Hi Jack

I can confirm that all checks you recomend I did today, kick down, overdrive, no clunks or knocks all sounds good.

Once again guys thanks for your feedback.

*now got to count the pennies...

I am very JEALOUS!!!!!! :chatterbox:

Good luck

Cheers

Jack

NUR71V Nov 2nd, 2011 15:09

Okay guys, bit of a worry.

Can someone clarify, what is and should I be worried about, wait for it!

Damage Catorgory = C

From what I can tell, seems to have had a smash! Now that and the speedo issue and 5 years of missing history!

The car does still seem good but surely cant justify £1500 anymore.

What do all you guys think?

Thanks.

brodgar Nov 2nd, 2011 15:43

1== wenn was it classified categorie C??

2== did it pass an MOT after there was a C-classification on it???

3== Is there a VOSA report /inspection that says the damage is acceptedly
repaired????

4== which years of the history are missing???

TOPprice for a dodgy past???? think it over carefully

brodgar Nov 2nd, 2011 15:48

perhaps this linkhelps you

check past mots

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ot/DG_10020539

NUR71V Nov 2nd, 2011 15:54

1== wenn was it classified categorie C??

2== did it pass an MOT after there was a C-classification on it???

3== Is there a VOSA report /inspection that says the damage is acceptedly
repaired????

4== which years of the history are missing???

TOPprice for a dodgy past???? think it over carefully

Thanks for link.

1. 2002
2.It does have a full MOT right now.
3.Unknown, will have to check.
4.about the last 5 years. *actually - no - maybe more, I think sometimes I forget what year it is.

brodgar Nov 2nd, 2011 16:05

try to find out what categorie C damage exactly m,eans for the car.

to my knowledge it means AT LEAST minor damage to structural components

** meaning defenitely more than panel damage.

Tell us your findings and decisions on the car

jetronic63 Nov 2nd, 2011 16:12

Clipped from mycarcheck.com

Cat C - This vehicle was repairable, but the repair costs exceeded the vehicle value. The insurer chose not to repair for economic reasons.

The damage level varies greatly for a Cat C vehicle. The damage may be quite extensive (but not structural) on a fairly new car, however in contrast the damage may be very light on an old car. This vehicle may have been submerged in water up to the floor level.

This category is purely an economically constructed total loss. It simply states that the insurer chose to not repair the vehicle for economic reasons.

Shame as it looks a nice car - seems to have had a more eventful life than it appears - I would proceed with caution and if nothing else, it gives you a fair amount of negotiating power as £1500 is top price for a 240 and you would expect a very good, unmolested car for that money.

brodgar Nov 2nd, 2011 16:14

thank you for correcting me

capt jack Nov 2nd, 2011 17:04

What a shame!

Congratulations on a first rate bit of careful car-buying - a lesson to every would-be purchaser!

The car may be worth buying still, but I think you need to give yourself an honest answer to the question:

'If due to a change in circumstances I had to re-sell the car in a month's time, could I sell easily, and how much would I get for it?'

£1500 is top dollar for a straight 240. But to some folk £1500 would be small change and worth taking a chance.

Known issues are not a big deal once they are sorted out, it's the unknown ones that are the bigger worry. Every second-hand car is for sale because the owner wants rid of it. Some reasons-to-be-rid make for an excellent reason to buy, but sometimes buying a car solves the sellers problems simply by making them the buyers problems!

Are you in the RAC etc? How about getting some form of independent inspection, either from one of the motoring organistions or even from a trusted local garage - maybe even the main dealer? An MoT doesn't mean it's a good buy - it only means that on the day of the test the car fulifilled the essential minimum legal requirements for it's class and age.

The other thing you need to bear in mind possibly is 'low use syndrome'. Cars, like any piece of engineering need to be kept busy, and long periods of inactivity can cause some materials to deteriorate - notably plastics and rubbers - so that when it's used again you can find things like seals and gaskets perishing and failing quite quickly. In car terms this includes things like brake cylinder seals, engine gaskets - all potentially expensive, especially if this is to be a main car rather than a weekend hobby.

Food for thought

Cheers

Jack