Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is ANY 300 really worth this? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132165)

Lami17 Aug 25th, 2011 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940Graeme (Post 972370)
I loved my vario, though luckily the box had been very well looked after and ran perfectly so I never had to do anything to it! It did take some "learning" after other auto's (don't start in P, don't rev it in P etc), and feathering the throttle to get the "overdrive" to kick in was a real art! Once mastered though it was like a go-cart to drive and utterly brilliant for whizzing round town in. Fuel econ was terrible at best 24mpg, and worse than my 940, but yes I'd have another tomorrow - indeed I'd have this one, at the right price!!!

If you really are interested, do let me know, as I said it is only down the road from me and I'd be happy to give it a proper look over for you.

Graeme

Many thanks to everyone for your advice. Graeme, Yes I am really interested and if you are prepared to have a look at it for me that would be brilliant. I live in the North East some 170 miles away so it has been difficult for me to view it. The garage has been helpful with additional photos etc. I will speak to them tomorrow and ask if they are prepared to hold it for me perhaps with a deposit and subject to a positive view from yourself. I think they will as they have been very helpful. One question mark is they dont have much history on the car other than it had covered 7000 miles in 1989 from a service record. Surprisngly it has also had 3 owners. I was expecting 1 owner with this mileage. I just hope the mileage is genuine? I guess it should have its original tyres which match the spare (assuming the spare hasn't been used or replaced). Please let me know if you can give it a look over and again many thanks for your advice and help. Ian.

macplaxton Aug 26th, 2011 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940Graeme (Post 972370)
Fuel econ was terrible at best 24mpg, and worse than my 940, but yes I'd have another tomorrow

I'm keeping a tally here: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/472911.html (link also in signature).

34mpg best on a run so far, but I haven't really been trying.

940Graeme Aug 26th, 2011 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lami17 (Post 972753)
Many thanks to everyone for your advice. Graeme, Yes I am really interested and if you are prepared to have a look at it for me that would be brilliant. I live in the North East some 170 miles away so it has been difficult for me to view it. The garage has been helpful with additional photos etc. I will speak to them tomorrow and ask if they are prepared to hold it for me perhaps with a deposit and subject to a positive view from yourself. I think they will as they have been very helpful. One question mark is they dont have much history on the car other than it had covered 7000 miles in 1989 from a service record. Surprisngly it has also had 3 owners. I was expecting 1 owner with this mileage. I just hope the mileage is genuine? I guess it should have its original tyres which match the spare (assuming the spare hasn't been used or replaced). Please let me know if you can give it a look over and again many thanks for your advice and help. Ian.

Hummm yes, the number of owners with this mileage is a puzzle - passed around a family perhaps? The lack of service history should give you some leverage on the price - again, with this mileage I would expect full history, handbooks, etc etc.

I'll give the garage a ring, and try and get over tomorrow (Sat)....if it ever stops raining here!!!! Good that you are in touch with them, I'll tell them I am viewing on your behalf. Any more photos you would like of specific things? Be in touch soon.
Graeme

Lami17 Aug 26th, 2011 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940Graeme (Post 972996)
Hummm yes, the number of owners with this mileage is a puzzle - passed around a family perhaps? The lack of service history should give you some leverage on the price - again, with this mileage I would expect full history, handbooks, etc etc.

I'll give the garage a ring, and try and get over tomorrow (Sat)....if it ever stops raining here!!!! Good that you are in touch with them, I'll tell them I am viewing on your behalf. Any more photos you would like of specific things? Be in touch soon.
Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

Regards photo's if think anything particularly warrants a photo it would be appreciated. The photos they sent me I asked for some under the wheel arches and must say (altough not great pictures) look like new. The ones I have under the bonnet are not very clear so don't give a great impression of condition. Regards, Ian.

GMad Aug 26th, 2011 15:37

In a word, no.

940Graeme Aug 27th, 2011 11:43

Well I've been to see it.........and it is REMARKABLE.

The photos on the ad do not even begin to do it justice.

IF any 340 IS worth this sort of money - then this is it.

Stunning.

Graeme.

Lami17 Aug 27th, 2011 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940Graeme (Post 973531)
Well I've been to see it.........and it is REMARKABLE.

The photos on the ad do not even begin to do it justice.

IF any 340 IS worth this sort of money - then this is it.

Stunning.

Graeme.

Thanks Graeme for taking the time to view the car. I tried replying to your private message but it wont let ma as I dont have 30 posts. My email is ianlamb64@btinternet.com. Again, many thanks....

940Graeme Aug 27th, 2011 16:29

E-mail sent Ian.

Graeme

Lami17 Aug 28th, 2011 12:20

I bought the car this morning for £2000. Yes it's a silly price for a Volvo 340 but I'm sure I'll get more pleasure from this car than if I spent 2K on something modern. Again, many thanks Graeme - your help has been fantastic......

940Graeme Aug 28th, 2011 15:25

It is an absolute pleasure Ian. It's odd, I started this thread saying is any 300 worth this........and ended it, having seen this incredible, special car, but saying YES! I think I've come round to the point of view of "find me another" fact is, you won't.

Well done with the purchase Ian, I am so pleased that this remarkable little car has gone to such a good owner.

Let me know when you are picking it up - happy to run you from Stoke train station over to the dealer if you want to come down by train?

If not before, I look forward to seeing it again at next year's National/BKV.

Well done.

Graeme.