Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Which current Volvo is your favourite? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170146)

850Chris Jan 9th, 2013 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 1325515)
Volvo no longer make either of my cars (a 5 cylinder 250BHP T5 or 5 cylinder 300BHP R) and nothing they currently make has me inclined to want to change.

Added all V70/XC70 have an electronic switch inplace of a proper handbrake;
99.9% are automatics - Ok I could specify manual if buying new - but would not buy new - depreciation in first year.....

However, in the mood of the poll :- Manual D5 XC70- nearest incarnation to current R

Cheers

Bob

I also mourn the passing of the 5 cylinder turbo (petrol) engines. If you want one of these nowadays then (I think) the Audi RS3 and TT RS are your only options. Even the latest Focus ST is now a 4 cylinder :(

T6 engine meant to be pretty good though - especially once it's had the Polestar treatment!

irishcarfan Jan 9th, 2013 18:58

They do make a lovely sound...:thumbs_up:

I wonder if this poll was in the US, would the C70 be further up? They're not my cup of tea - but my brother rented one in California recently and he said it was surprisingly good.

AcidicDavey Jan 9th, 2013 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 1325527)
I also mourn the passing of the 5 cylinder turbo (petrol) engines. If you want one of these nowadays then (I think) the Audi RS3 and TT RS are your only options. Even the latest Focus ST is now a 4 cylinder :(

T6 engine meant to be pretty good though - especially once it's had the Polestar treatment!

Or a V40 T5??? They've brought back Turbo 5s for that one!
2.5T, 5cyl, 254bhp but only available as an auto it would seem :(

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars...ical-spec.aspx

There is going to be a genuinely hot model coming possible with 20% more power and AWD!

Edit: It seems what I just wrote in the line above was a rumour which just turned out to be the V40 R-Design!
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26020
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26341

100K+ Jan 10th, 2013 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 1325527)

Yes but the Elephant in the room with all current V70 and equals is some der brain believes since the start of the new millenium "volvo drivers" have forgotten how to change gear and need the car to do it for them. Add to that we can no longer pull a lever to apply a handbrake and need a button.....

I ENJOY DRIVING LET ME DRIVE....
:lightning:
sorry rant over

Cheers

Bob

850Chris Jan 10th, 2013 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 1326190)
Yes but the Elephant in the room with all current V70 and equals is some der brain believes since the start of the new millenium "volvo drivers" have forgotten how to change gear and need the car to do it for them. Add to that we can no longer pull a lever to apply a handbrake and need a button.....

sorry rant over

Cheers

Bob

Here, here!

Automatic wipers and headlights were the start of a very slippery downhill slope if you ask me.

850Chris Jan 10th, 2013 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidicDavey (Post 1325815)
Or a V40 T5??? They've brought back Turbo 5s for that one!
2.5T, 5cyl, 254bhp but only available as an auto it would seem :(

That's good news (albeit with a sting in the tail [auto only]). I thought the latest T5's were now 4 cylinder but that must just be in the V70's. Confused.com!!!!

100K+ Jan 11th, 2013 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 1326267)
Here, here!

Automatic wipers and headlights were the start of a very slippery downhill slope if you ask me.

Now they also offer us adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning - presumeably for the visually impared and self parking for those who could not do that manoeuvre on their test - but smiled nicely at the examiner and were passed fit to drive - starting to rant again......hooommmmmm.......hooommmm

Calm...

Cheers

bob

irishcarfan Jan 12th, 2013 01:03

The one that gets my goat is the self-closing tailgate... :broken_heart:

tt82 Jan 12th, 2013 05:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 1326190)

sorry rant over

Cheers

Bob

Guilty. :sad_smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 1326267)
Here, here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 1326578)
Now they also offer us adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning - presumeably for the visually impared and self parking for those who could not do that manoeuvre on their test - but smiled nicely at the examiner and were passed fit to drive - starting to rant again......hooommmmmm.......hooommmm

Calm...

Cheers

bob

Guilty, except for self parking. :sad_smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishcarfan (Post 1327130)
The one that gets my goat is the self-closing tailgate... :broken_heart:

Ah feck it. I love 'em. :D:D:D:D

MattyS80 Jan 12th, 2013 06:02

Has to be the 850!

(although I own a S80)

Edit: mental note read thread title before posting! D'oh.... :)