Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 rear wiper issues + solution (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71453)

tommyweaves Dec 15th, 2010 23:16

R-P, as others have already said, your post is excellent. I managed to disassemble the motor just as you described despite not having photos of those stages. (I managed to snap the wiper arm though as it was weakened through corrosion and well stuck on the spindle.)

I left the motor alone but opened up the gear housing which had a lot of debris in it. However I couldn't get the main nylon gear off its spindle to see the contacts underneath. It came part way off (about 3mm) but then seemed to have a "notch". Have I missed something?

Anyway, it had a good clean up and after re-assembly wiped ok but wouldn't park in the right place. I'm guessing this is due to contacts under the main gear wheel which I couldn't access. Any thoughts?

R-P Dec 23rd, 2010 21:46

As for the nylon wheel not coming off: I think I see a newer V70 (Would that be considered a Mk4? Mine's a Mk2 I guess) in your pic, so that *might* make the setup different.

But as I remember, it (the gearassembly) was simply kept together by the lid of the gear-box and the only thing I had trouble getting apart was the water-tube running from back to front of the whole gearhousing.

So afraid I cannot tell you why you can't get it disassembled any further... :(

And I haven't solved the not stopping in the correct position either (the tip of my wiper is about 1.5" too high too, goes down an inch first before going up and wiping the window), but it's close enough to know when to stop fiddling :)

tommyweaves Dec 23rd, 2010 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-P (Post 803248)
As for the nylon wheel not coming off: I think I see a newer V70 (Would that be considered a Mk4? Mine's a Mk2 I guess) in your pic, so that *might* make the setup different.

But as I remember, it (the gearassembly) was simply kept together by the lid of the gear-box and the only thing I had trouble getting apart was the water-tube running from back to front of the whole gearhousing.

So afraid I cannot tell you why you can't get it disassembled any further... :(

And I haven't solved the not stopping in the correct position either (the tip of my wiper is about 1.5" too high too, goes down an inch first before going up and wiping the window), but it's close enough to know when to stop fiddling :)

thanks for your post. The motor is the same as yours (it's not from the car in my pic). I'm of the same opinion as you, sometimes enough is enough!

R-P Dec 23rd, 2010 22:50

Found some possibly new pics that may still help (although enough might be enough :) )http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3493/dsc04249u.jpg

There's the infamous spray nozzle in the left part of the pic covering the date "15" on the calendar.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4504/dsc04245m.jpg

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7480/dsc04246t.jpg
And the 'brass' tube supplying the water to the spray nozzle sticking through the backplate of the gear-housing-lid.

I did just think you may not have been able to remove it due to the motor still being in place!!!

dandi80 Jan 28th, 2011 20:23

hi guys!

I have the same problem with my v70. I have found the problem earlier than this page.
The problem is a simple mechanical damage. The white toothed weal has a worn part about 2cm long. At this point does the wiper stop and I hear a ticking noise. The repair would be easy if I would know from where I could get a white toothed weal to replace this one. I could not find a similar one in any catalog.

That was the story with my wiper....

kaiserwill Apr 14th, 2011 16:38

Was just wondering,

Will a motor for the rear wiper from a 2000/2001 v70 fit a 2003/2004 model

Cheers KW

ade555 Apr 15th, 2011 07:54

I'm trying to find whats wrong with mine, I pull the motor out yesterday and it looks like is stuck, once you remove the metal casing you can spin the wiper and I'm talking about the motor casing where the bushes ect. are and not the casing where the plastic gear is, relay is clicking, washer is working so not sure what can be wrong, also when I dicided to strip the whole unit and fitted the coil in to the casing I could turn by hands is well so I was thinking is sorted baybe got a bit stuck, so I put the coil back in place then I put plastic part which have brushes on and back to the same problem you can't even turn by hand not sure if you would be able to understand what I'm saying but is this mean my motor is gone?

R-P Apr 21st, 2011 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiserwill (Post 885389)
Was just wondering,

Cheers KW

It was changed from the wiper's resting position being to the left and then to the right. Or vice versa. And when it was changed exactly, I don't know. :)

I think it will fit, but I cannot promise this, as I am no expert. You might be able to find a working copy of VADIS somewhere and compare the ordering numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade555 (Post 885896)
I'm trying to find whats wrong with mine, I pull the motor out yesterday and it looks like is stuck, once you remove the metal casing you can spin the wiper and I'm talking about the motor casing where the bushes ect. are and not the casing where the plastic gear is, relay is clicking, washer is working so not sure what can be wrong, also when I dicided to strip the whole unit and fitted the coil in to the casing I could turn by hands is well so I was thinking is sorted baybe got a bit stuck, so I put the coil back in place then I put plastic part which have brushes on and back to the same problem you can't even turn by hand not sure if you would be able to understand what I'm saying but is this mean my motor is gone?

May be the language barrier, but I have a hard time visualising what you actually did, so here's some questions:
- can you spin the motor with ease once you remove the white wheel? I do not remember if you can even remove the white wheel without taking the motor apart, so if you can clarify this, that would also help (a few threads up I questioned this)
- did you take the motor apart completely?
- if so, did you thoroughly clean, rotate and lubricate the bearings of the shaft of the motor? They were most likely my main problem.

Northgator8 Apr 26th, 2011 14:31

Cautionary Tale

Wife's '06 exhibited this problem this past winter. (Canada - salt, snow, cold, therefore problem crops up earlier than elsewhere?)

Finally tackled it on Good Friday, since some sun finally showed up.

I didn't try the motor removal, since I was pretty sure it was shaft corrosion that was the culprit.
The only trick to removing the gear cover is to remove the electrical connector box from the case before sliding the cover off. Otherwise, there is not enough room to get the spray tube out without bending it.
Cleaned, greased (white lithium spray), bench-tested and back in within half an hour!
Upon reassembly and “field testing”, the arm was flopping around, back with my wrench for some additional tightening. Nut was “just about” where it needed to be when the threads snapped off the shaft and the rear glass exploded!
Wife not too pleased. . . . .
This “saving money on repairs thing” doesn’t seem to be working for her.
New glass is $430 Canadian (about 275 GBP today), but I have to wait 4 days for it to come from Montreal.
Dropped by my local “Independent Volvo Service” and discussed my issue and asked if anyone had had one replaced, since I only needed the internals. Turns out someone is coming in on Friday for a new one, and I can have the old for my experiments if they don’t want the old parts.

Northgator8 Apr 26th, 2011 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiserwill (Post 885389)
Was just wondering,

Cheers KW

KW, If you find an old one, just make sure you watch the shaft move and park before you put the wiper arm back on. If it parks on the left, put the arm on that way, so you are not clearing the rear door, rather than the window |>)

IIRC there is no special provision for the arm to park on (some vehicles do have a rest or stop for the arm when parked), so it shouldn't make any difference.

Good Luck (see my "Cautionary Tale" post)

NG8