Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   B18 Alternator position (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338996)

Derek UK Apr 13th, 2024 12:44

Only the very late 1967 B18 blocks have the 2 bolt holes adjacent to the fuel pump for the factory alternator bracket. This upgrade was to allow an alternator to be fitted to the 123GT. All B20 blocks have the holes. USA posters to this thread have to remember that UK RHD owners have to contend with having the steering box on the dynamo/generator side so space for alternators is limited. That is why the small Denso ones are a good choice.

classicswede Apr 14th, 2024 20:25

Some 30 years ago I cast off a batch of conversion brackets for mounting an alternator on the older B18 blocks. I should go back to this and make some more. I might still have the buck

RCHunt May 3rd, 2024 15:38

Alternator now fitted and seems to work well. I have been asked to post pictures but do not have a clue how to do so! Alternator Bosch 197 311 022

c1800 May 3rd, 2024 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCHunt (Post 2948190)
Alternator now fitted and seems to work well. I have been asked to post pictures but do not have a clue how to do so! Alternator Bosch 197 311 022

How to post photos (attachments) explained here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/faq.p...b3_attachments

Salop Farmer May 3rd, 2024 17:07

Posting Photos

To us non technophobes this is still a daunting process! Adding photos to WhatsApp or Facebook is far far simpler !

morwenna240 May 3rd, 2024 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCHunt (Post 2948190)

If u go to the thread, pv overdrive v higher profile tyres, you will c an explanation of how to post pics by 142 guy.

RCHunt May 8th, 2024 11:57

4 Attachment(s)
Distributor side alternator attachment on B18 engine (ex Amazon) in 142 rally car
Attachment 154577
Attachment 154578
Attachment 154579
Attachment 154580

ColoradoAmazon May 10th, 2024 16:28

4 Attachment(s)
I purchased one of the compact alternators that someone recommended. I was able to find it here in the US. It seems to be an alternator used on Kubota tractors. My local auto parts store was able to source one base on a part number 111048 - Cargo 12 volt 40 amp Denso Alternator. It's slightly different where the #3 or B stud is on the back instead of on the top but I believe it's essentially the same. I will also need to enlarge the hole that attaches to the block.

I'm a little confused on which terminals I connect the wires to. I only have two wires going to the old regulator. I believe this compact alternator has an internal regulator. I'm assuming the "Battery Wire" will got to terminal B or #3. Would the "Indicator Lamp" wire got to #1? Do I need to make a jumper wire to terminal #2 or anything like that?

Thank you everyone and hopefully this is a little helpful for the folks in the US.

Rustinmotion May 10th, 2024 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoAmazon (Post 2949133)
I purchased one of the compact alternators that someone recommended. I was able to find it here in the US. It seems to be an alternator used on Kubota tractors. My local auto parts store was able to source one base on a part number 111048 - Cargo 12 volt 40 amp Denso Alternator. It's slightly different where the #3 or B stud is on the back instead of on the top but I believe it's essentially the same. I will also need to enlarge the hole that attaches to the block.

I'm a little confused on which terminals I connect the wires to. I only have two wires going to the old regulator. I believe this compact alternator has an internal regulator. I'm assuming the "Battery Wire" will got to terminal B or #3. Would the "Indicator Lamp" wire got to #1? Do I need to make a jumper wire to terminal #2 or anything like that?

Thank you everyone and hopefully this is a little helpful for the folks in the US.

The extra wire goes to the battery to monitor the charge condition, mine has three cables to it, I removed the control box and extended the two cables to reach the alternator and added the third wire back to the battery