Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tyre puncture repair or replace on winter tyre (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322513)

scbamber Jan 7th, 2022 18:57

I am still astonished by the apparent size difference in the OP's pic between his punctured wheel and the space saver. The XC40 spare's size should be 125/80/R18... And the OP has said that it is that size, exactly the same size as in the link I posted a couple of days ago. However his looks like a small smooth disc, and not a steel wheel with vent holes like the majority of skinny spares, and like the ones that Volvo sell.

The TMS Volvo dealers also list a spare for a standard V40 115/90/R16, which is smaller.

Behind my doubt is a memory of a puncture in the middle of nowhere in a 6 month old Lancia Fulvia Berlin's in the 1970s. I jacked it up, took the wheel off, and offered the full size spare on to the hub...only to find it would not fit as the central hole was a good inch smaller in diameter than the punctured wheel. Eventually the dealer came out 20+ miles, and gasped in astonishment having disbelieved me on the phone. Some hours later at the dealership he confirmed that my spare was indeed off a Fulvia but a different model of Fulvia...

Could the OP's spare be off a V40

XC90Mk1 Jan 7th, 2022 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by scbamber (Post 2798305)
I am still astonished by the apparent size difference in the OP's pic between his punctured wheel and the space saver. The XC40 spare's size should be 125/80/R18... And the OP has said that it is that size, exactly the same size as in the link I posted a couple of days ago. However his looks like a small smooth disc, and not a steel wheel with vent holes like the majority of skinny spares, and like the ones that Volvo sell.

The TMS Volvo dealers also list a spare for a standard V40 115/90/R16, which is smaller.

Behind my doubt is a memory of a puncture in the middle of nowhere in a 6 month old Lancia Fulvia Berlin's in the 1970s. I jacked it up, took the wheel off, and offered the full size spare on to the hub...only to find it would not fit as the central hole was a good inch smaller in diameter than the punctured wheel. Eventually the dealer came out 20+ miles, and gasped in astonishment having disbelieved me on the phone. Some hours later at the dealership he confirmed that my spare was indeed off a Fulvia but a different model of Fulvia...

Interesting story. My XC90 is a 2012 model hence first gen. I know my spare is the correct size as the wheel locates snugly into the wheel well underneath the car.

I have twice had to use the spare and it is just as small as that.

anotherv60 Jan 8th, 2022 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by scbamber (Post 2798305)

It wouldn't fit over the brakes if it was for the V40, I can't fit smaller than 18inch rims to the XC40 R Design due to the size of the brakes. Some of the Momentum models allow 17inch rims. Thats my understanding anyway.

anotherv60 Dec 1st, 2023 13:36

So it’s happened again to the same tyre, this means the tyre now is on its second puncture - anyone had the same tyre repaired twice? Tread wise will +8mm…

TeamG Dec 1st, 2023 15:25

I had 3 holes in one tyre on my V70, all fixed at the same time (3 screws). The tyre was on the front and lasted until it was worn to the limit and replaced.

anotherv60 Dec 1st, 2023 20:37

So I’ve phoned a few tyre places this evening. The new puncture is almost 1/4 around the circumference I’d say at 80 degrees.

I’ve been told - can’t repair if less than 120 degrees
No it’s fine don’t worry about it - it doesn’t matter where the puncture is relative to the first one.
So long as it’s more than 90 degrees away….

So who is right and does anyone know where this information comes from? Tyre manufacture? Or elsewhere??

Bonefishblues Dec 1st, 2023 21:06

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/upl...-van-tyres.pdf

...is a summary of the applicable regs

GSS Dec 2nd, 2023 04:08

I agree with scbamber about your spare. Surely that cannot be a genuine Volvo wheel for your car. My own "skinny" spare on my V70 is just that; - the same diameter, but slimmer to fit in the spare wheel well and allow the boot tray to sit on top. The difference in the diameter of your regular wheels and that spare is not only ridiculous, but, (I would have thought), downright dangerous.

Tannaton Dec 2nd, 2023 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSS (Post 2925417)
I agree with scbamber about your spare. Surely that cannot be a genuine Volvo wheel for your car. My own "skinny" spare on my V70 is just that; - the same diameter, but slimmer to fit in the spare wheel well and allow the boot tray to sit on top. The difference in the diameter of your regular wheels and that spare is not only ridiculous, but, (I would have thought), downright dangerous.

The space saver spares are often smaller in diameter than the original which they replace, especially so on the bigger cars with 19, 20 and bigger wheels. They’re only dangerous if not treated as a “temporary” get you home solution.