Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Would VIDA show fault with glow plug? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315801)

VolvoRob38 Apr 7th, 2021 14:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2726465)
All volvos external connectors where the water is liable to get to them are waterproofed with rubber seals around each wire in the connector ..

Regarding glow plugs , yes you have the idea . They are not likely to fail shorted . more likely open circuit . but see what the resistance is ...

I just want to check before I start that I am looking at the glow plugs at the top there in the attached photo?

When looking at videos online the glow plugs wernt situated conveniently on the top like that, they were in awkward to reach places behind pipes, more towards the front. But as Ive got what looks like my AC cylinder there Im guessing myy plugs are on top?

Thanks

cheshired5 Apr 7th, 2021 14:27

If you're talking about the 4 things with metal pipes connected, they're the injectors.

I would imagine that the glow plugs are on the rear of that engine and they will have similar relative spacing to the injectors.

Non Volvo engine so don't expect easy glow plug access. :)

VolvoRob38 Apr 7th, 2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2726518)
If you're talking about the 4 things with metal pipes connected, they're the injectors.

I would imagine that the glow plugs are on the rear of that engine and they will have similar relative spacing to the injectors.

Thanks Cheshire,

Good job I didn't start pulling at them then lol... and a good job I asked lol.

I'll go and have another look.

What engine is in that then if not Volvo?

Laird Scooby Apr 7th, 2021 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 (Post 2726520)
Thanks Cheshire,

Good job I didn't start pulling at them then lol... and a good job I asked lol.

I'll go and have another look.

Ford. Also referred to as HDi when fitted in PSA models, something else in the BMW Mini and various others :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

cheshired5 Apr 7th, 2021 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 (Post 2726520)

Pretty sure that the 1.6 and 2.0 (4 Cylinder) are Ford/PSA

I've worked on them in a Peugeot 207 badged HDi and Fiesta badged TDCi just never done the glow plugs.

Laird Scooby Apr 7th, 2021 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2726528)
Pretty sure that the 1.6 and 2.0 (4 Cylinder) are Ford/PSA

I've worked on them in a Peugeot 207 badged HDi and Fiesta badged TDCi just never done the glow plugs.

They're made under licence by PSA for their Pug/Cit models and BMW mini, also in Sweden (2.0 only i believe) prsumably for Volvo

VolvoRob38 Apr 7th, 2021 15:14

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2726518)

What are the chances this engine has only got 2 plugs?
Yes... nightmare to get to!

Laird Scooby Apr 7th, 2021 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 (Post 2726535)
What are the chances this engine has only got 2 plugs?
Yes... nightmare to get to!

Zero! Looking above those two plugs there appears to be an inlet tract for each pot, i would assume (as the photo isn't wide enough to see the other two pots that the same applies and you'll find the other two grow prugs in a similar place further along.

I've seen worse but not often and can't remember on what...............

VolvoRob38 Apr 7th, 2021 15:33

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2726540)
Zero! Looking above those two plugs there appears to be an inlet tract for each pot, i would assume (as the photo isn't wide enough to see the other two pots that the same applies and you'll find the other two grow prugs in a similar place further along.

I've seen worse but not often and can't remember on what...............

Yes, I think I've seen a third one but its buried.... OMG!

VolvoRob38 Apr 7th, 2021 15:59

Should I disconnected the battery as well before testing these, or is there no need?