Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   the 200 series in tv and film..a bit of fun..i hope! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=78275)

oman5 Aug 16th, 2009 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul240480 (Post 546947)
Hey here's a laugh! The other day I was checking 'back-links' on my web-site. I found I had one from a Simpson's forum LOL.
Could'nt work out how so had to have a look.
It turned out the thread on The Simpson's forum (yes you read that correctly), was a debate on what type of car Homer drives.
Well, one forum member suggested it was a Volvo 240...................... low & behold he did a search for Volvo 240 images & my 'Tank' popped up! So he posted a pic of it & it provides a link to one of my Volvo pages:thumbs_up:LOL.
So a Volvo 240 in The Simpsons then? No I don't think so:nah:
LOL, well hope your all still awake, where's me glass...................... outta here!

I don't think Homer's car is a volvo either, in one episode he gets it recovered with a tow truck and asks for genuine GM parts to be used. the recovery guy tells him "how? it was built in the ukraine from recycled tanks!"

nick_ovlov Aug 16th, 2009 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve and his 244 (Post 546754)

Also, I havent seen this film, but theres a 240 GLT in it playing a major part:

amended ;) if you look down the comments on the video on youtube some people have already stated that we dont get turbos we got glts!

and of all people!

trying to remember one that hasnt already been mentioned, cant think of any just now :(

Nick

Steve and his 244 Aug 17th, 2009 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_ovlov (Post 547530)
amended ;) if you look down the comments on the video on youtube some people have already stated that we dont get turbos we got glts!

and of all people!

trying to remember one that hasnt already been mentioned, cant think of any just now :(

Nick

:lol: Nick - sozzard!!

I can think of one - music and lyrics - they pass an 850 and a 240 within seconds of each other parked at the side of the road.

:loser:

Steve

James A Aug 17th, 2009 03:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by oman5 (Post 547316)

Here's one nobody mentioned, The 1983 US nuclear holocaust film "The day after" featured Jason Robards' doctor character driving a 240 estate, at least until EMP from The Bomb fries the ignition circuitry. It's not a particularly pleasant film, but if you grew up through the early '80s you will relate to the nuclear paranoia- and its not as bad as the UK film "threads"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

You can see his volvo at 2.40

That car was one of the reasons why I got into Volvos. As soon as the tachometer drops to zero, you know something very bad is just about to happen :O

Incidentally, there's a blue 240 estate in Threads. You can see it in the background half way up the kerb with its doors open when the character Jimmy Kemp is running through the streets of Sheffield after the initial attack.

oman5 Aug 17th, 2009 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by James A (Post 547618)
That car was one of the reasons why I got into Volvos. As soon as the tachometer drops to zero, you know something very bad is just about to happen :O

Incidentally, there's a blue 240 estate in Threads. You can see it in the background half way up the kerb with its doors open when the character Jimmy Kemp is running through the streets of Sheffield after the initial attack.

Yes, you're right, I'd forgotten that one (yes, I'm into the apocalyptic film gendre!)
and with that in mind- I've thought of another. in the drama series "the last train" some of the survivors shelter inside a sunk-to-the axles 240 estate- maybe a red one?-from a pack of feral dogs. yes it may be 40 years in the future but of course a volvo brick is still going to be in one piece.

oman5 Aug 17th, 2009 03:41

oh, and another one- the simply brilliant 1991 gangster flick "goodfellas".
A silver 240 saloon is featured towards the end of the movie driven by Ray liotta's character's wife

James A Aug 17th, 2009 03:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by oman5 (Post 547619)
Yes, you're right, I'd forgotten that one (yes, I'm into the apocalyptic film gendre!)
and with that in mind- I've thought of another. in the drama series "the last train" some of the survivors shelter inside a sunk-to-the axles 240 estate- maybe a red one?-from a pack of feral dogs. yes it may be 40 years in the future but of course a volvo brick is still going to be in one piece.

I remember that. I added an entry about the car to the 'Volvo in the Movies' section on the Brickboard in 2002:

http://www.brickboard.com/MOVIES

P.S. I'm heavily into the post-apocalyptic genre myself. I have been since reading The Day of the Triffids when I was 12 :)

Volan245 Aug 17th, 2009 08:36

Monty Python movie.

I just thought of another one. Monty Python's movie the meaning of life I think it was. In the scene where they have been with the grim reaper at someone's house they all leave in car's and one is a 245. I can't remember who was driving it though perharps someone else remembers.

nick_ovlov Aug 19th, 2009 21:42

in the film "yes man"

jim carey drives a bright orange 242 DL that has had a few mods. actually seen it on american ebay a while back.

Nick

radiomark Aug 22nd, 2009 07:22

now this one's really obscure.I was watching one of those re-runs of a car is reborn with Mark Evans,where he restores a jaguar E-type.Anyway some bloke was at a car show talking about his Mark 1 Cortina and in the background and also reflected in the Cortina's paint was a shiny red Volvo 240.looked like it had corona alloys.