Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   163 BHP Chip tuning (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195804)

wimorrison Jan 4th, 2014 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja59 (Post 1549435)
erm in 2011 it was Euro 5 only....

That doesn't change the fact that the 163 hp Euro 4 only rises to 185 hp using a RICA tune nor the fact that the are many variants of the 163 hp engine.

Ninja59 Jan 4th, 2014 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 1549494)
That doesn't change the fact that the 163 hp Euro 4 only rises to 185 hp using a RICA tune nor the fact that the are many variants of the 163 hp engine.

Bringing up the euro 4 specification engine bares no relevance to this thread though, owing to it being an earlier standard and that the OP had originally already highlighted it being a 2011 car...Euro 5 only.

I agree this engine only has 163 hp something even RICA will point out and so will many sources. And I also agree that there are in this potential variants specifically (in this case only two potential variants under that 2011 umbrella).

Does not however change the fact that the engine is 2.4 D3 version and therefore its potential is much greater than the 2.0 D3 variant.

675rrr Jan 4th, 2014 16:43

Is their no other way to check what exact engine I have in the car??

We know it is a 163 bhp D3 first registered in MArch 2011.

woodchipandrew Jan 4th, 2014 18:11

would someone be able to point me in the right direction to have a 2014 D5 xc60 remapped. I hear that super chips are good and I know for a fact they do a map for the police volvos as they take a D5 up to 245hp. I am in cumbria, my brother in law does Blackcode remap but I wouldn't let him remap a collins road atlas.

wimorrison Jan 4th, 2014 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchipandrew (Post 1549681)
would someone be able to point me in the right direction to have a 2014 D5 xc60 remapped. I hear that super chips are good and I know for a fact they do a map for the police volvos as they take a D5 up to 245hp. I am in cumbria, my brother in law does Blackcode remap but I wouldn't let him remap a collins road atlas.

Polestar from Volvo - your dealer will be happy to do this.

woodchipandrew Jan 4th, 2014 19:48

Isn't polestar a lot of money for little gain. What cost for how much extra power should I expect.

wimorrison Jan 4th, 2014 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchipandrew (Post 1549781)
Isn't polestar a lot of money for little gain. What cost for how much extra power should I expect.

True, but it maintains the warranty which all others will void.

675rrr Jan 7th, 2014 15:39

We are still no where on this thread.

I have an XC60 2011 163 D3 AWD Geartronic.

I have spoken to Superchips and they cant find my engine in their list??

Is my 2011 163bhp engine used in any other volvo??

****es me off that I have money to spend on a remap but no one can help me.

GMcL Jan 7th, 2014 19:52

This company claim they can get up to 245bhp out of your engine:
http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

don kalmar union Jan 7th, 2014 19:52

Volvo PINCODE BANDITRY.

Unfortunately you have one of the current models the access to whose ECU is protected by a PINCODE system. Only Volvo dealers have this access and it prevents any entity other than a dealer from carrying out many functions.

It is in flagrant breech of a principle of the European Union, namely exploiting a dominant market position.

Outside of my own very narrow interest in not being readily able to supply and install aftermarket software it is intended to and will cost owners dearly in the maintenance and upkeep of their cars.

Frankly it stinks.

Back to your original interest in gaining higher outputs from your engine, the vehicle now being close to being outside its warranty period.

Neither MTE whom I represent here in the UK or any of our competitors have access to the ECU through the OBD port. It can be done by opening the ECU but that is a time consuming, delicate and costly undertaking.

So, you are obliged, for the time being, to take the equally costly route of the Polestar branded but Volvo written option......

Regards, Don.