Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Volvo 164 parts! - Nearly Free!!!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118372)

940_Turbo Mar 7th, 2011 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean706 (Post 857320)
Hi Paul, I was unaware it was such a big job, I figured it was just a case of changing the inlet manifold and maybe thee distributor :-S
Can you give me a call tonight, after 8pm? Or txt ur number and I'll call you

The injection on a 164 has a completely independent loom from the rest of the electrics. It is a highly complex system and you won't get it to run in a stripped down version. On the inner wing there are two relays that control the fuel pump, the other thing on the inner wing is the manifold pressure sensor. Additionally there are two temperature sensors, air and coolant, there is a thermal timer that controls the cold start valve, a second set of points in the bottom half of the distributor which tell the injectors when to fire, a throttle switch, this isn't just on/off like a modern car but it actually sends throttle opening info to the brain, a fuel pump and finally the brain under the driver's seat.

Sean706 Mar 7th, 2011 14:45

Wow, that certainly does sound complicated compared to the usual injection system from the 70's!

So my next question follows on from what was put before - Which parts do i require to convert it to run carbs? On most engines it is usually just a matter of changing the inlet manifold and dizzy but as these arent x-flow engines, do I need to change the exhaust aswell? Blocking the injector holes is easy enough in that I will just cut them off?

Please help!

foggyjames Mar 7th, 2011 15:14

Yes, it's an electronic system - more late 80s than early 70s. They later went back to mechanical injection (in 240s and 740s, etc) as the EFI proved unpopular (reliability problems?).

As far as I'm aware, the injector holes are in the manifold, so no problems there. You should be able to swap manifolds (dizzy *may* be unnecessary) and add a suitable fuel pump (or a regulator on the end of the EFI pump?). I think the exhaust manifolds should be swappable.

Any particular reason why you want to ditch the injection kit? They made more power...and I doubt you'd have much trouble in something as short-lived as a banger race.

cheers

James

Sean706 Mar 7th, 2011 15:36

I wanna put carbs on for reliability really. In my experience with injection all it takes is for one wire to get trapped or cut and then its game over. Specificially if the system is as complicated as it sounds. I have a facet pump in my banger wiring so as long as I can get carbs I should be able to make it run no problems, I would imagine with the distributor having traditional points in the top of it, I could just cut off the electronic stuff and put a normal 12v coil on and bingo! I'd have a spark?!

The chap that has a manifold and carbs in his broken into shed - I will pay courier and then sort out getting the parts to you? The car is being raced in Wimbledon so could possibly meet you?

This said, I do have a chap called Scott going to look for some carbs for me when he gets home from holiday this week. And he wants interior parts. Anything that is left over once whoever lends me some carbs has had their fill will be put up on here for beer money + postage

Sean706 Mar 7th, 2011 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean706 (Post 857482)
The chap that has a manifold and carbs in his broken into shed - I will pay courier and then sort out getting the parts to you? The car is being raced in Wimbledon so could possibly meet you?

What I mean is if you would be willing to box up and post off the carbs and manifold (linkage?) To me, I would obviously pay postage cost and then once I have all the parts ready I will arrange getting the bits to you.

940_Turbo Mar 7th, 2011 19:26

The ports are the same as a carb car, basically you need the combined inlet/exhaust manifold with the carbs and the linkage.

The distributor has ignition points so will work happily with the injection part unplugged

http://auto-onderdelen.marktplaats.n...burateurs.html

Sean706 Mar 7th, 2011 19:53

Thank you for that buddy, much appreciated!

Is the exhaust downpipe the same? I would hate to lose the twin pipes - well more accurately the noise associated with the twin downpipes!!

I really do appreciate all the help being given, fingers crossed I can get the parts!

Sean

ALLOA Mar 8th, 2011 13:17

Interchangability!

OK - Perhaps a daft question! I have had a combined cast inlet / exhaust manifold with twin strombergs on it sitting in my garage for several years now. What will this be off? I was under the impression that all 120 / 140s with twin carbs were fitted with SUs and not strombergs.

Cheers

Scott

foggyjames Mar 8th, 2011 13:21

How many pots is the manifold laid out for, that'd be a big clue!

I didn't realise they were all one part...shows how much attention I've paid!

cheers

James

ALLOA Mar 8th, 2011 14:19

Its in the garage and I'm in the middle of the North Sea! It'll need to wait until the weekend

Cheers

Scott