Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Car Pulling Hard Left Under Braking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338038)

Kev0607 Feb 12th, 2024 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2935588)
Thanks, Kev. I was expecting something like that.

Dealer quoted me £317 per side (inclusive of VAT). Thought that was a little on the high side if I’m honest.

I meant £200-£220 plus VAT (I've edited the post), but even still, that's a way off what you were quoted. I guess the dealer is much dearer than I thought!

In saying that, genuine arms do tend to last.

If you do decide on genuine arms, you'll need an alignment again. It'll be an expensive repair.

Clan Feb 12th, 2024 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2935584)
Thanks, Cian - That’s what I’m trying to ascertain today as I e read some interesting stories online (work was done by a mechanic).

Does anyone have an idea as to how much genuine Volvo arms cost?

Cheers

Cant you get new VOLVO bushes fitted to your old arms? I worked out a long time ago that it was more economical to get one bush changed but not both.

This case is why I am always on about using Genuine Volvo Parts on Volvos, I have seen far too many cases like this over the last 30 years . (Assuming it is the non genuine parts causing the problem ) You fit volvo parts they fit properly and work properly for the next 20 + years and the job is done..
Other areas where I have seen similar problems with Non genuine parts :

Drive shafts , water pumps, injectors, radiators, thermostats,
brake pads/discs, fuel filters, bulbs, light units ,hoses, belts, ball joints , wheel bearings, windscreens, steering racks , towbar wiring, batteries, wiper blades.

Clan Feb 12th, 2024 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2935588)
Thanks, Kev. I was expecting something like that.

Dealer quoted me £317 per side (inclusive of VAT). Thought that was a little on the high side if I’m honest.

The labour time to change each complete arm is 56 mins, depending on labour rate and VAT it could well be £317 per side depending on the price of the arm.

XC90KidNI Feb 12th, 2024 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2935592)
The labour time to change each complete arm is 56 mins, depending on labour rate and VAT it could well be £317 per side depending on the price of the arm.

Yeah the £317 per side was the quote from the dealer for parts only.

I’ll be fitting them myself.

Cheers

XC90KidNI Feb 12th, 2024 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2935590)
I meant £200-£220 plus VAT (I've edited the post), but even still, that's a way off what you were quoted. I guess the dealer is much dearer than I thought!

In saying that, genuine arms do tend to last.

If you do decide on genuine arms, you'll need an alignment again. It'll be an expensive repair.

Fully expecting to have to get the alignment done after fitting the genuine arms. I’ve decided the best bet is to opt for the genuine arms (taking a gamble on the aftermarket parts being the root of the problem but all evidence I’ve seen online points to that being a common enough issue). I’ll save a little bit on fitting them myself but still going to be close to a £700 repair all said and done. Lovely ☺️

Kev0607 Feb 12th, 2024 20:28

Just so you know, quite a few people have had success with Meyle HD arms. Very good quality and cheaper than genuine.

Not all aftermarket are bad. Meyle being one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2935592)

Nope. That will be plus labour, not including (Volvo want £317 per side just for parts). I figured it would be and that has been clarified by the original poster.

john.wigley Feb 12th, 2024 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2935635)
Fully expecting to have to get the alignment done after fitting the genuine arms. I’ve decided the best bet is to opt for the genuine arms (taking a gamble on the aftermarket parts being the root of the problem but all evidence I’ve seen online points to that being a common enough issue). I’ll save a little bit on fitting them myself but still going to be close to a £700 repair all said and done. Lovely ☺️

That's the downside of running an older Volvo. They were expensive cars when new and spares come at new car prices. Your repair bill is more than I paid for my V70 over seven years ago; I'm fully aware that any significant repair could well exceed that!

Very pleased that you have got to the bottom of your issue.

Regards, John.

XC90KidNI Feb 12th, 2024 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2935636)
Just so you know, quite a few people have had success with Meyle HD arms. Very good quality and cheaper than genuine.

Not all aftermarket are bad. Meyle being one of them.

Nope. That will be plus labour, not including (Volvo want £317 per side just for parts). I figured it would be and that has been clarified by the original poster.

You’ve presented me with another dilemma :regular_smile:

To opt for something Meyle or go genuine…

DIYopenUp Feb 14th, 2024 20:18

For the record i also had this issue and fixed it by using 3M 08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane. Had to squirt it in the bushing several rounds before it stuck and stayed there after driving

Kev0607 Feb 16th, 2024 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2935644)
You’ve presented me with another dilemma :regular_smile:

To opt for something Meyle or go genuine…

If you go on Autodoc, you can get good deals on the arms, but downside is you'll have to wait maybe a week to get them. Meyle HD are listed as OE quality, and like I said, many here have used them. They're much cheaper than genuine, but that's not because they're made cheap. Very good from what I've heard.