Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555)

Rooster Jan 15th, 2015 21:21

There is an issues with the EGR valves and EGR coolers on the D4 lumps,

But volvo are on with it and the valve has been modified twice since the first D4's were released and the cooler has also been modified,

They have updated journal a couple of times as to what we do to fix these and at moment it does seem to be working,

With the parts been modified we are struggling abit getting parts but this also seems to be improving

craigv60 Jan 15th, 2015 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 1827828)

But volvo are on with it and the valve has been modified twice since the first D4's were released and the cooler has also been modified

I must admit I chuckled a bit when my dealer called me to say "don't bring your car in, Volvo has told us not to fit the updated EGR valves they sent us and they're going to issue another updated part."

I wonder what's going wrong with the valves? I mean, it's just an electric motor, a cam, pushrod and a flap that opens and closes .... they're not THAT complex :)

volvorocks Jan 15th, 2015 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 1827828)

But volvo are on with it and the valve has been modified twice since the first D4's were released and the cooler has also been modified,

They have updated journal a couple of times as to what we do to fix these and at moment it does seem to be working,

With the parts been modified we are struggling abit getting parts but this also seems to be improving

Would you say that, for want of a better example, that D4 cars delivered say mid April, the alteration would be factory fit and reliable?

Regards

K5 Gus Jan 16th, 2015 20:06

Not looking forward to reaching 5,000 - 7,000 miles, will constantly be worrying that the car will be about to go into limp mode.

Hope they do a recall before I get there.

Wonder what percentage of cars this is affecting ? Anyone here with a new D4 engine that has reached say 10k with no problem ?

RoyMacDonald Jan 16th, 2015 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1827961)
Would you say that, for want of a better example, that D4 cars delivered say mid April, the alteration would be factory fit and reliable?

Regards

The production line always gets the updated parts first so if the service departments are getting them the production line cars certainly will.

ChrisL Jan 16th, 2015 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5 Gus (Post 1828458)
Not looking forward to reaching 5,000 - 7,000 miles, will constantly be worrying that the car will be about to go into limp mode.

Hope they do a recall before I get there.

Wonder what percentage of cars this is affecting ? Anyone here with a new D4 engine that has reached say 10k with no problem ?

I'm on 11k and no issues. Had it in for a recall today (can't recall what it was as the fleet manager dealt with it, but when I collected they informed me they did 2 recalls on it (had to dash to pick my daughter up from nursery so didn't get chance to ask details)

Flux Jan 16th, 2015 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5 Gus (Post 1828458)

On almost 11k and no issue as yet. TBH I half expect it to occur as it seems to happen to so many other owners. Do you get an engine warning light and still able to drive or does it just stop and need towing?

spaceman2844 Jan 16th, 2015 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux (Post 1828605)
On almost 11k and no issue as yet. TBH I half expect it to occur as it seems to happen to so many other owners. Do you get an engine warning light and still able to drive or does it just stop and need towing?

In my case, warning light came on, no limp mode or change in power etc. The light went off again after a day or so, but service department still advised bringing car in for investigation (and subsequent EGR repair/replacement).

Rooster Jan 17th, 2015 00:30

They are perfectly drivable with EGR issues and i don't think they even go into limp mode, it just tends to be engine warning light that comes on that seems to be the main complaint,

The D4 engine been a complete new design uses its EGR alot more than any volvo engine ever has this is one way amungst loads of others it is made euro 6 compliant,

I have seen a couple of these for there 18k services now with no issues and apart from the EGR issues ive not really seen any other problems with these VEA engines,

andymcp Jan 17th, 2015 08:43

Just short of 19,000 miles, no problems. Did have two times that I had to press ignition twice and check engine was briefly there but never happened again and I was in a rush so didn't think about it again. Will keep an eye on it but nothing so far has given me any concern (famous last words!).