Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : What do I need to replicate a Focus ST? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339666)

MikeGMT May 3rd, 2024 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJustVolvos (Post 2948202)
Interesting, is the 'revised timing' physically changed or ECU controlled?

Exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you!

I don't want 'pops and bangs', just the over-run (not sure how else to call it) that the ST has from factory. I assume this is easily done through tuning then? And a decent aftermarket exhaust is one of the first mods I would get. Any recommendations for branded exhaust or design of a custom exhaust, e.g. what mufflers/resonators etc. to use? I'm looking to get that vocal 5 cylinder decel. sound.

Also would appreciate any recommendations for a 200 cel sports cat, as I'm planning on keeping her road legal.

Thanks

The ECU was as programmed from the factory, no after market tuning. Eventually I had a Mongoose Cat-Back system fitted, this gave a nice subtle sound without being overly loud, hardly any difference in the cabin, so not overbearing on a long drive, but did give that lovely burble to the exhaust note. You could provoke a few mild 'pops' on the over-run if the revs were high enough but nothing startling or excessive, and people diving for cover.

domhart10 May 7th, 2024 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJustVolvos (Post 2948202)
Interesting, is the 'revised timing' physically changed or ECU controlled?

Exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you!

I don't want 'pops and bangs', just the over-run (not sure how else to call it) that the ST has from factory. I assume this is easily done through tuning then? And a decent aftermarket exhaust is one of the first mods I would get. Any recommendations for branded exhaust or design of a custom exhaust, e.g. what mufflers/resonators etc. to use? I'm looking to get that vocal 5 cylinder decel. sound.

Also would appreciate any recommendations for a 200 cel sports cat, as I'm planning on keeping her road legal.

Thanks

I would just get a custom made exhaust, there really isnt anything off the shelf for the T5's unless you want to spend a fortune for a brand. You can make ST exhaust systems for with some effort but its your decision really.

I dont have any recommendation on cats really nor exhaust systems. I have had a powerflow / jetex system which was a 2.5" system which was nice but still pretty quiet ... then I went for a straight through custom system and I cannot explain how loud these things can get ... but now just run 2 small mufflers at the back but my current custom system was not done to the best standard really so I am going to be hunting for a new one soon.

My only suggestion is to just find a decent exhaust fabricator, long track record and good work. If it costs, its probably worth it. Your only questions really are, you want some noise with as little drone as possible as its only really drone that is your enemy here.

buick boy May 8th, 2024 22:57

Why not just buy a V60 Polestar ? 150 bhp more than an ST , sounds better , much quicker and all the advantages of being an estate .

NotJustVolvos May 11th, 2024 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by buick boy (Post 2948895)
Why not just buy a V60 Polestar ? 150 bhp more than an ST , sounds better , much quicker and all the advantages of being an estate .

It's outside my budget (add 70% to the price, that's how much it will cost imported to Ireland). A V50 T5 can be bought for £3000-6000, a V60 Polestar 3.0 is minimum £23000 right now. An no, neither car can be found for sale in Ireland.

I'll be sticking with the 5 cylinders.
But appreciate the suggestion.

buick boy May 11th, 2024 22:11

Fair comment , they are expensive to buy and are a bit pricey on parts . Especially , if like me you have the later 2ltr turbo & supercharged model with Brembo floating discs (£1200 a pair ) and ohlins suspension (£ don't even ask). I wish you well with your plan and hope it's a success .

Volvophile May 12th, 2024 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJustVolvos (Post 2949317)
It's outside my budget (add 70% to the price, that's how much it will cost imported to Ireland). A V50 T5 can be bought for £3000-6000, a V60 Polestar 3.0 is minimum £23000 right now. An no, neither car can be found for sale in Ireland.

I'll be sticking with the 5 cylinders.
But appreciate the suggestion.

V50 T5's aren't too common in Ireland. Nearly all of them were auto too.