Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Rear suspension trailling on the floor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309481)

BWT Sep 30th, 2020 13:12

Hi green Van Man
The nose weight for the car in the handbook is 110kgs so yes i am getting near the limit.
I have been in touch with Graystone engineering re spring assistors but as its a transverse leaf they dont do one however they have put me in touch with a Dutch company that do a coil over set up for the rear just waiting their response.

as an aside does anyone know how the rear shock absorbers are removed and can do a quick walk through i need to know how the top mounting bracket is secured to the car and how to remove it.

Thanks
Beetee

classicswede Oct 6th, 2020 12:37

If you have the nivo's on the rear a saggy rear end is a common problem.

I carry a lot of load in mine and sometimes tow. The rear used to sag a lot but now with the coilovers on it takes very heavy loads well. My current V90 is the non nivo type and that was also saggy on the rear so I popped coilovers on that too.

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Coilo...5_4319649.aspx

griston64 Oct 6th, 2020 22:11

Is this car not a fairly new V90 ? If it's the car in the signature its no more than three or four years old

BWT Oct 7th, 2020 11:58

All
For clarity this is a Dec 2019 car which has the transverse leaf spring.
Does any one know how the top mount of the rear shockers are attached to the car? If anyone can do a walk through of the shock absorber removal i woul really appreciate that.

Clan Oct 7th, 2020 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWT (Post 2671287)
All
For clarity this is a Dec 2019 car which has the transverse leaf spring.
Does any one know how the top mount of the rear shockers are attached to the car? If anyone can do a walk through of the shock absorber removal i woul really appreciate that.

do you have the self levelling rear dampers ?

BWT Oct 7th, 2020 15:27

Good Afternoon Clan
the vehicle has normal suspension not self leveling mores the pity. I intend to replace the rear shock absorbers with uprated ones and a self leveling kit from Greystone Engineering which believe adds additional springs to the shock absorber although i have not seen them as yet.

Clan Oct 7th, 2020 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWT (Post 2671340)
Good Afternoon Clan
the vehicle has normal suspension not self leveling mores the pity. I intend to replace the rear shock absorbers with uprated ones and a self leveling kit from Greystone Engineering which believe adds additional springs to the shock absorber although i have not seen them as yet.

have you tried reducing the ball weight to 80 kg or so ? what difference would that make ?

BWT Oct 8th, 2020 10:37

I have not tried reducing the nose weight as this would make an already unstable unit lethal. The recommended calculation for nose weight should be 5-7% of the loaded weight of the van so at the low end that would be 100Kg and at the high end 140Kg. So i think running at 80Kgs would make this van tail happy and an unhappy pilot.

Clan Oct 8th, 2020 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWT (Post 2671515)
I have not tried reducing the nose weight as this would make an already unstable unit lethal. The recommended calculation for nose weight should be 5-7% of the loaded weight of the van so at the low end that would be 100Kg and at the high end 140Kg. So i think running at 80Kgs would make this van tail happy and an unhappy pilot.

Well it would seem you may have the wrong spring , the one from the Self levelling car .... I would suggest this to the dealer ....

Historically the volvo noseweight has always been around 70 - 90 kg

BWT Oct 8th, 2020 14:42

The nose weight in the book is listed at 110Kg for this car which is probably about normal for most cars of this size. You suggest it may be the wrong spring are you thinking that it may have the self leveling spring or the other way round.
Re the dealer not much help there basically they are saying were not experts in towing so cant comment repeating the blurb in the book about 110Kg nose weight showed them the nose weight when there and the response was it is what it is Not all helpfull.