Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   what the diffrence with v power and tesco 99 octane (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=27245)

Ross9 Nov 14th, 2006 21:47

My 300 bhp Impreza Sti Type R loved OPtimax/ v-power ( we were all getting v-power for a month or two before it was launched, was in the optiplop tanks) far more than any other fuel.

Jacqs T4 was notably sluggish on other fuels apart from optimax (been off the road having a big spec done so never had v-power) and I never run my Rover on anything but optimax and now V-power, truth be told I fill it with v-power and 2 tins of octane booster per tank before a track day, or half a tank and 1 tin for a drag day, but then I rarely use it as it's just for fun and everythign about it is for performance above all else.

Ross

charlesboya Nov 15th, 2006 08:31

V Power vs Tesco 99 Ron

There is a very good sight at www.thorneysport.co.uk which compares the two !
This company appears to have carried out a very thorough piece of research and is very favourable towards the Tesco fuel.

cheers,

charlesboya Nov 15th, 2006 18:19

V Power vs Tesco 99 Ron

Sorry Guys, the correct web address for the research details is:

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

cheers,

Engineer Nov 15th, 2006 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesboya (Post 168756)
Sorry Guys, the correct web address for the research details is:

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

cheers,

For what its worth John’s tests was with Optimax not V Power and I think he got a fair bit of stick on a well known performance car forum regarding the results, however after running mine for over 18 months on Tesco 99 I agree with him. My views are still out on V power as I’ve not tried it, but can’t help being sceptical it’s the same stuff as Optimax re-badged. Will be happy to be proved wrong though as any improvement in performance is welcome. :)

Jod T5 Nov 15th, 2006 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer (Post 168769)
My views are still out on V power as I’ve not tried it, but can’t help being sceptical it’s the same stuff as Optimax re-badged. :)

i think you should try it gary, v-power claim a higher octane rating of 99 RON (Optimax was 98 RON) meaning that the fuel burns more effectively, additives in the fuel to reduce the loss of energy in the engine by reducing friction in the cylinders.
it also claims that the fuel contains cleaning agents designed to remove unwanted deposits from your engine. Shell says V-Power can clear years’ worth of build-up in just a few tankfuls.
it really does improve the mpg and performance in my car....:)
cheers
jod

Engineer Nov 15th, 2006 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jod t5 (Post 168797)
i think you should try it gary, v-power claim a higher octane rating of 99 RON (Optimax was 98 RON) meaning that the fuel burns more effectively, additives in the fuel to reduce the loss of energy in the engine by reducing friction in the cylinders.
it also claims that the fuel contains cleaning agents designed to remove unwanted deposits from your engine. Shell says V-Power can clear years’ worth of build-up in just a few tankfuls.
it really does improve the mpg and performance in my car....:)
cheers
jod

Your round? lol..............:Banane35: 40 litres should it :)

Jod T5 Nov 15th, 2006 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer (Post 168807)
Your round? lol..............:Banane35: 40 litres should it :)

tbh gary im not sure it is that dear..comparitively, jo always fills up at abridge where it is cheaper than my local tesco for 99ronny in dunmow...dont ask for prices i dont fill up....or pay...lol :biggrin2:
cheers
jod

Engineer Nov 15th, 2006 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jod t5 (Post 168814)
tbh gary im not sure it is that dear..comparitively, jo always fills up at abridge where it is cheaper than my local tesco for 99ronny in dunmow...dont ask for prices i dont fill up....or pay...lol :biggrin2:
cheers
jod

Househusband, I thought so mate, has your better half got any likewise friends lol ;)

peteS40 Nov 17th, 2006 02:06

Round here tesco 99 ron is 2p+/litre cheaper than shell v-power. Also the tescos that sell it seem to be 24 hr garages but the shell I go to isn't. I'm trying the tesco stuff now. I was using an octane booster additive with the v-power but I'm not with the tesco stuff. I think I'm a bit put off because I think I had a bad batch of the v-power the other week. At the moment I seem to be having some fuelling problems in general though so can't really comment but have filled up twice with the tesco now. My mpg is cr*p anyway but even if nothing different between the two, the tesco is cheaper... I know it doesn't seem like much but it's typically £1 each time I vist the petrol station and I do seem to be visiting an awful lot at the moment...

Pete

steveT4 Nov 17th, 2006 13:00

I have a T4 and it loved the Optimax, but it was 5-6p per litre more than the standard unleaded. Not a problem as the economy and performance improved. I then was moved to the V-power and it was about 6-7p per litre more, and again not a problem. But when I went to fill up the other day the V power has gone to 13p more than the standard. Is the V power really worth double the extra over the old Optimax?
Is this price difference the same everywhere or is my local garage just charging too much - they say they don't set the price!...